Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, StantonParkHoya said:

You do know we got several feet of snow from one storm in 2016

40 inches here. But who's counting? In all seriousness. Having both major globals with pretty similar setups is probably a decent sign someone is going to get smacked. Might not be all of us. Always depends on track. Off the coast is good for coastal plain dwellers. On the coast and I am dancing. But I think it is pretty likely there is going to be a big storm somewhere on the east coast at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buddy1987 said:

@psuhoffmanif trends continue can we get a live stream at some point for one of the model runs? 

If we can get it inside 5 days sure. But we’re way too far out at this point. I wouldn’t mind doing just a general pattern overview chat at some point either though.  I’ll be honest though I don’t have as much time as I used too.   So if I’m ever unable to host and anyone else wants to take over I’m great with that. But I’ll try to fit them in when warranted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Still seems like people don’t talk about that storm enough.

That month of January 2016 was also the last time we went substantially into double digit snowfall for the month total at BWI. The only other month since then that reached double digits was last January when we nickled and dimed our way to about 14 inches for the month. 

I'm trying to think of what was our best single storm/event snow total has been since that January of 2016. Maybe like 4 to 5 inches a couple times? The itch is real for a big one. 

27 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

Still seems like people don’t talk about that storm enough.

That storm is still my benchmark for "large snowfall inside beltway" - I moved here right before commutaggedon in 2011. Was in south central PA for ultrawinter of 09-10. 

The 2016 storm was great while it was happening, very ominous leadup, quickly accumulating snow, cold when it was falling, power outages, actual heavy plowing of local streets. But the next couple days were very drippy and above freezing, which took away from the experience just a little bit. Overall, 10/10, would want that to happen again. It was also fantastic to track because models were dead locked on 120+ hours out.

• Like 3

Years with Highest daily snowfall recorded at Washington DC in December.  Source: Current Results

15.0December 19, 2009

6.1December 05, 2002

0.4December 23, 1998

3.0December 27, 1990

3.6December 08, 1989

6.6December 12, 1982

6.0December 16, 1973

4.9December 31, 1970

4.3December 25, 1969

5.6December 23, 1963

5.4December 25, 1962

11.1December 04, 1957

3.4December 14, 1951

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

That storm is still my benchmark for "large snowfall inside beltway" - I moved here right before commutaggedon in 2011. Was in south central PA for ultrawinter of 09-10. 

The 2016 storm was great while it was happening, very ominous leadup, quickly accumulating snow, cold when it was falling, power outages, actual heavy plowing of local streets. But the next couple days were very drippy and above freezing, which took away from the experience just a little bit. Overall, 10/10, would want that to happen again. It was also fantastic to track because models were dead locked on 120+ hours out.

It's absolutely true about the days following big storms and how they can either accentuate or blur the memories a bit. There's something truly special about big snows being followed by bitter cold for at least a few days. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Years with Highest daily snowfall recorded at Washington DC in December.  Source: Current Results

15.0December 19, 2009

6.1December 05, 2002

0.4December 23, 1998

3.0December 27, 1990

3.6December 08, 1989

6.6December 12, 1982

6.0December 16, 1973

4.9December 31, 1970

4.3December 25, 1969

5.6December 23, 1963

5.4December 25, 1962

11.1December 04, 1957

3.4December 14, 1951

Man you're messin' with mild OCD with the no spacing between the inches and the month listed, lol

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

I always debate whether 2016 or 1996 were the best storm of my lifetime. 2016 was just unrelenting solid snow for 2 plus days. And is the highest single storm total of my life. I never thought I would live to see 40 plus inches in a single storm here. But 1996 was an absolute whiteout blizzard.  Honorable mention to 2003 (PD2). Which is an underrated storm because the temps were marginal. 

• Like 1