Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022

dmillz25

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

01-02 and 11-12 the benchmarks for awful winters each had a 4 inch storm around 1/20.    It was a 10 day winter both of those years.  We were in the 70's and 80's by March lol.

72-73, 97-98, 01-02, 11-12 though I actually rank 01-02 as the worst because it was also much warmer than the others and predicted to be very cold and snowy lol.

01-02 to 02-03 has to be one of the greatest improvements of all time though and the whole era from 96-97 to 01-02 was horrible outside of 00-01 which also ended on a sour note because of March 2001.  But 02-03 through 05-06 (really through 04-05) made it all worth it.

7 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I think Bluewave pondered this a couple weeks ago when I asked, but I do wonder how much longer elevated SST’s will help us rather than start to hurt. Eventually it’s going to be too much thermal energy offshore and we’re going to be too warm at the coast. 

Did someone mention that the elevated SST’s has to do with rising overnight lows and dew points? 

Yes that's true.  And the best way to find out what the turning point might be is to see how far down the coast we see regular coastal snowstorms.  I think Norfolk is the turning point.  When our SST get warmer than what they usually are around Norfolk then we're in trouble (we're talking about the most recent 30 year climo period baseline, obviously Norfolk area SST will warm too.)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I think Bluewave pondered this a couple weeks ago when I asked, but I do wonder how much longer elevated SST’s will help us rather than start to hurt. Eventually it’s going to be too much thermal energy offshore and we’re going to be too warm at the coast. 

Did someone mention that the elevated SST’s has to do with rising overnight lows and dew points? 

The record SSTs in December 2020 along with the 500 mb pattern probably caused us to miss the 40” jackpot which ended up in Binghamton. The low was too tucked in for those amounts near the coast. But the historic January 2016 blizzard was able to feed off those same record SSTs. So the colder readings a month later plus the flatter SE Ridge and BM track worked to our advantage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

that system around the 23rd has been showing up on modeling for a while now, and it seems like the ensembles are beginning to parse the broad longwave features. with that said, there are actually a lot of pieces here, and they look like they can come together to produce some significant upside. at this point, it would be late December, and climo is much more favorable than it is now along the coast

1. this is the highly anomalous ridge that is going to form as a result of the +EAMT that is going to take place over the next several days. notice how this ridge extends and cuts off into the Beaufort Sea. this is important because it both establishes a very cold antecedent airmass, and it displaces the TPV, which I'll get to in a bit
  2. this is the west-based -NAO blocking that forms as a result of this week's system. the Miller B that forms on Friday forces very warm air into the Davis Strait, which helps create a transient block that then decays over this region. this kind of decaying block over the Davis Strait is a precursor to some of our largest storms
  3. this is the TPV that has been displaced by the ridging I talked about earlier. this serves to deliver very cold air to the NE US ahead of the potential storm, and it also plays a very important role in establishing confluent flow over SE Canada... it could act as a kind of 50/50 ULL, which is also why the block is so important. both of them work in tandem to deliver HP to SE Canada and prevent a cutter 
  4. finally, this is the shortwave that is beginning to get picked out by modeling. this is a very vigorous signal for this far out, but it makes sense given the entire hemisphere forcing it into existence given the +EAMT and extension of the Pacific jet. this would roll off of the ridge and downstream into the confluent flow forced by the TPV and transient blocking

Untitled.png.4254e4eb302bc867da0ba577bbef85b2.png

so, overall, there is a lot here to like. pretty much every piece is in place for a large-scale event around this time. now, there are obviously a lot of caveats at this range, as one would expect, and there is a possibility that something like the GFS OP plays out and it rains on everyone. I kind of have to favor inland regions, but that by no means rules anyone out

when I see this kind of longwave configuration, it does get me a bit excited. all of the pieces are in place, so we'll see how it plays out over the next week or so

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 12z OP Euro has a -PNA trough in the West so it’s warmer than the GFS and CMC before Christmas. The block on the Euro is too close to Siberia to work for us. We’ll see what the guidance comes up with going forward.

684FF1AB-1FB9-4950-BD6D-53598F4D25D6.thumb.png.df072c79eeb2137cbc92e0a387b4ba44.png

Euro is a disaster for us but very plausible in a well coupled Nina.

I don't think there's anything more important than a +PNA in 1st half of winter if you want snow. 

No amount of Atlantic blocking will supercede it

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The 12z OP Euro has a -PNA trough in the West so it’s warmer than the GFS and CMC before Christmas. The block on the Euro is too close to Siberia to work for us. We’ll see what the guidance comes up with going forward.

684FF1AB-1FB9-4950-BD6D-53598F4D25D6.thumb.png.df072c79eeb2137cbc92e0a387b4ba44.png

No reason to discount the persistent trough in the west.  Those 10 day plus ensemble maps are useless and not a reason.

52 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

If Euro is right then December is done but we are talking about a Day 9-10 op run 

I was full on board for an interesting period 12/20 - 12/31.  That has always been my target period of interest.  EURO is concerning I have to say.  Going to take a wild swing to get rid of the western trof and southeast / eastern ridge.  That OP EURO taken verbatim is a disaster.  If it is showing a similar solution 3 days from now for the Christmas period we are in trouble and may have to face the fact the the U.S. east of the Mississippi may not benefit from all this blocking.  Have said all along we need the +PNA, however weak to benefit.   Will be interested to see the ensembles shortly.  System on Thursday is not going deliver any meaningful snow to the vast majority of this forum.  Along and north of Rt. 80 / west of 287 into interior southeast NY and CT have a decent chance of 1-3" or 2-4" amounts especially higher elevations.  Overall I'm thinking amounts less than or equal to what fell on Sunday.  We'll see but I'm getting concerned for the last third of the month delivering what we're all wanting.  Not closing the door just yet but this is not what I expected to see at this date for 10 days out.  What I am fairly confident about is a first class Arctic outbreak coming into the U.S. down the front range of the Rockies and out onto the plains and south into Texas.  Perhaps rivaling some of the great Arctic blasts.  Perhaps near record high pressure nosing southeast from the high Arctic into the central U.S.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Euro is a disaster for us but very plausible in a well coupled Nina.

I don't think there's anything more important than a +PNA in 1st half of winter if you want snow. 

No amount of Atlantic blocking will supercede it

The big block pulling back to Siberia could allow more of a Western Trough like the OP or one in the Plains like the EPS. While we would avoid the big OP warm up before Christmas on the EPS, still have to deal with that Great Lakes primary low. Any secondary development near the coast would probably favor the interior like we are seeing for Friday. Need a slower retrogression of the block back into the WPO domain to keep the heights up along the West Coast. Too fast an EPO rise could allow the PV to dig more out West.

23C4F42D-695A-45F8-B6F2-F49FC3F0B578.thumb.png.4a093a2fb5dc21e79ec54ccf82c921df.png

C9CC57E5-DED1-4CB0-BBEA-17CF92179AAE.thumb.png.4f47c38d83eca8b6b86c50efa920e807.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At this point I don’t care about anything other than not torching for Xmas and Xmas Eve. Give me at least seasonable cold and I’ll be grateful. Looking good that least we’ll hopefully hit that mark. 

Glorious snow would be a bonus, but I’ll take the cold and run with it as a step one. Lots of winter ahead of us to get the ducks in a row properly. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

At this point I don’t care about anything other than not torching for Xmas and Xmas Eve. Give me at least seasonable cold and I’ll be grateful. Looking good that least we’ll hopefully hit that mark. 

Glorious snow would be a bonus, but I’ll take the cold and run with it as a step one. Lots of winter ahead of us to get the ducks in a row properly. 

Does it really matter?  Xmas is an indoor holiday for our part of the country....what would you do differently if it's 30 out vs 55 out?

-

snow is obviously a different story I'm strictly talking temps

• Like 1