• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022

dmillz25

We would need for the diving PV to get out near the benchmark like in February 1978 to make people happy. The alternative is it gets stuck over land like January 1978 and we are on the warm side for much of the precipitation. Either way, it should get really cold behind the storm.

http://greatlakes.salsite.com/maps/jan2427_1978_500_loop.gif

http://greatlakes.salsite.com/maps/feb58_1978_500_loop.gif

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yes right now the timing for the potential storm is late thursday into friday, well before Xmas eve. Then just bitter cold for Christmas weekend. High temps might not get out of the 20s. 

when i was a kid bitter cold in the daytime meant temps in the teens.. or on rare occasions single digits

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Ideally we want a weak Niño which is better for snow than neutral, right? And I think I’ve read a Modoki is even better, and that a Niña following a Niño is good as well?

What would be the mechanism for the latter question; how would the ENSO state from a year prior impact a new Niña? Or is it just something that emerged statistically?

Apologies for the barrage of questions, this is very interesting. 

There's never anything perfect. It's more about getting a favorable collection of variables. La nina and el nino are fine, for the area. As long as it's not one of the super variety. Neutral can be problematic. But it's that, plus everything else going on in the envelope of that, as well. 

This year? We have an extremely interesting set of variables.... 

The formation question, is complicated. There are a lot of factors that go into that. That's something that's constantly under further research, at least as far as I've seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

That Jan 78 storm was the Cleveland blizzard right?   We rained on top of the initial blizzard that fell a week earlier?

That’s the one.  We did get rained on however we had a tremendous wind storm after the passage of the frontal trough.  If an analysis was done of the pressure fields associated with this event I believe that the conclusion would be that the winds were caused by a sting jet.