Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter 2022

George BM

21 hours ago, CAPE said:

Terrible.

Need to make a legit move or don't bother. DJ Moore.

DeSean Jackson is a Raven. Cheap, low risk addition, but not the answer to make the passing game legit. Probably cut him inside of 3 weeks. The Ravens have 6 TEs though!

Ofc the ultimate solution to an actual NFL level passing attack is a new OC, and there is zero chance that happens.

23 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeeah this is a classic, lol They may have been better off doing nothing and sparing the jeering that is coming from everywhere!

The Ravens inability to acquire/draft/develop a legit WR is actually some sort of 'master plan'. They think having a bunch of TEs can work, but that is really driven by economics- TEs don't get paid like WRs. Dumb.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

DeSean Jackson is a Raven. Cheap, low risk addition, but not the answer to make the passing game legit. Probably cut him inside of 3 weeks. The Ravens have 6 TEs though!

Ofc the ultimate solution to an actual NFL level passing attack is a new OC, and there is zero chance that happens.

When Jackson was with the WFT he was actually pretty damn good but that was a while ago.

Him and Pierre Garcon was a pretty good duo

Question for @nj2va, @IronTy, and anyone else with good DCL knowledge:  want to do a (very large) family walk/hike on Friday.  Would Swallow Falls SP be the best place for this? With some of the better scenery and colors?  We need something fairly level with a clear path given we'll have ages of 4-71 on this walk.  Thanks!

43 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Question for @nj2va, @IronTy, and anyone else with good DCL knowledge:  want to do a (very large) family walk/hike on Friday.  Would Swallow Falls SP be the best place for this? With some of the better scenery and colors?  We need something fairly level with a clear path given we'll have ages of 4-71 on this walk.  Thanks!

Swallow falls is great and would be doable I think for that age range.  It's a relatively short hike and if memory serves me correct some of it is paved (i think).  There are some very large old hemlocks and rhododendron too.   I was on meadow mtn this past Friday and color was basically at peak, not sure now with the freezing/snow they had this morning.  

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

A few thoughts:

1)  Swallow Falls - Definitely pretty with the multiple waterfalls and offers one of the easiest hikes.  If you do a full loop, there are parts that may be difficult for the very youngest and oldest (e.g. over by the small ‘waterfall’ where you have to basically climb up a large rock to get past that part and when walking along the river to get to the large falls).  However, the youngest/oldest could easily just skip the full loop and instead walk back/forth to get to each of the falls using the easier paths.  There’s a lot of evergreens for the tree canopy so I’m not sure how much color will be there.

2) Another easy trail (although somewhat boring compared to the falls) is Lochlynn Heights Wetlands Trail which is down near Oakland.  It’s basically part wooden ‘boardwalk’ through a wetlands (with places to stop to read signage for wildlife) then an easy walk through the forest.  That’s near Simon Pearce Glass Factory which the kids may like to go see glass being blown (and adults may like the showroom to buy something).

3) Deep Creek State Park has a lot of trails (https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/DeepCreek/Trails-and-Trail-Map.aspx) but may prove challenging for the oldest.  Beckmans Trail is one of the most popular and fairly easy.  You’d see good colors here along the way.

4) Herrington Manor State Park is another good option (similar area as Swallow Falls) https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/HerringtonManor/Hiking-Trail-Maps.aspx - there’s a small lake there which is popular in summer, cross country skiing trails for winter, and some good hiking trails.  We hiked it 3 winters ago and don’t remember it being hard (there’s several trails too).

Have a great weekend!  It should start being a bit less busy there since Autumn Glory was last weekend until the more popular winter weekends so a good time to visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, disappointed that the Guardians lost last night.  Oh well.  But to be honest, I never expected them to even force a decisive game 5 vs. the Yankees, and damn near nobody even thought they'd win their division (let alone be in the post-season) with the youngest lineup in baseball!  So, maybe hope for next season then.  I'm proud of them all the same!  Thanks, Guards, for an amazing run!!!! :clap:

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

A few thoughts:

1)  Swallow Falls - Definitely pretty with the multiple waterfalls and offers one of the easiest hikes.  If you do a full loop, there are parts that may be difficult for the very youngest and oldest (e.g. over by the small ‘waterfall’ where you have to basically climb up a large rock to get past that part and when walking along the river to get to the large falls).  However, the youngest/oldest could easily just skip the full loop and instead walk back/forth to get to each of the falls using the easier paths.  There’s a lot of evergreens for the tree canopy so I’m not sure how much color will be there.

2) Another easy trail (although somewhat boring compared to the falls) is Lochlynn Heights Wetlands Trail which is down near Oakland.  It’s basically part wooden ‘boardwalk’ through a wetlands (with places to stop to read signage for wildlife) then an easy walk through the forest.  That’s near Simon Pearce Glass Factory which the kids may like to go see glass being blown (and adults may like the showroom to buy something).

3) Deep Creek State Park has a lot of trails (https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/DeepCreek/Trails-and-Trail-Map.aspx) but may prove challenging for the oldest.  Beckmans Trail is one of the most popular and fairly easy.  You’d see good colors here along the way.

4) Herrington Manor State Park is another good option (similar area as Swallow Falls) https://dnr.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/western/HerringtonManor/Hiking-Trail-Maps.aspx - there’s a small lake there which is popular in summer, cross country skiing trails for winter, and some good hiking trails.  We hiked it 3 winters ago and don’t remember it being hard (there’s several trails too).

Have a great weekend!  It should start being a bit less busy there since Autumn Glory was last weekend until the more popular winter weekends so a good time to visit.

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Thanks!

I’ll add Rock Maze Trail in Garrett County State Forest.  My 70s in-laws were able to do it and every kid there was having a blast.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

I’ll add Rock Maze Trail in Garrett County State Forest.  My 70s in-laws were able to do it and every kid there was having a blast.  

Yes! Great add. My parents did it last year (when they were in their late 60s). Such a  neat spot and should have some colors in the walk in the woods prior to the rock maze. 

@WxUSAF that’s in the area of Swallow Falls (another 10 or so minutes past that). 

14 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Thanks!

Before we got our property we used to rent a cabin at Herrington Manor every fall about this time.  Hiking trails are pretty flat and there is a small lake you might be able to canoe on if the boats are still around before they remove them for the winter.  Only downside for me is that they're sort of boring walks in the woods without much biological interest.

Swallow falls is a more interesting trail if your party is up for it.  My parents are 72yo and they did it, theyre both in decent health but by no means athletic.   Not sure how a 4yo would do...no experience with children!

There is also a trail in that vicinity that used to have the largest red oak in Maryland before it died.  A few years ago I found it and it was a rotting carcass but most of the trunk was still standing.  I tried googling but wasn't having luck.  I think the flyers at Herrington Manor said where it was.  It was pretty big.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I would also agree with Swallow Falls. It is a wide flat path and boardwalk getting to Muddy Creek Falls (with nice overlook area). The loop from Muddy Creek to Swallow is an easy hike but does have rocks and roots that you need to be able to climb over. My 70+ mom and 4 year old have done it. 

Swallow Falls also has a nice open area with picnic tables and a playground that we like to bring lunch and hang out. 

Deep Creek Lake State Park has a discovery center which is pretty cool and our kids love. There are several playgrounds, picnic tables, and a short easy hike right next to discovery center and it has a big parking lot, so easy in easy out.

We will be up taking advantage of the extra long HoCo school weekend :D

• Thanks 1

CWG mentioned/linked this today:

https://www.space.com/34373-orionid-meteor-shower-guide.html

"The Orionid meteor shower will peak between Oct. 21 and Oct. 22 and will remain active until early November. 

Viewing conditions for the Orionids are favorable this year with relatively little moonlight getting in the way of spotting the streaking meteors. Sometimes the Orionid meteor shower produces spectacular displays of up to 80 meteors an hour, but in recent years it has produced more modest displays of about 20 or 30 visible meteors per hour.

The Orionid meteor shower is produced when Earth passes through the debris or ice and dust left behind from Comet 1P/Halley, more commonly known as Halley's Comet."

• mappy unpinned this topic