Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We’ve obviously beaten this horse 1000 times over the years but I still can’t get over that snow shadow in the Connecticut River Valley… I mean can you imagine if that storm hit with like 1.5°C colder through the column?

I mean even if that thermally requires a slightly lower PWAT we’d still be talking about astronomical stack heights.  We wouldn’t have had those big gaps like that in lower elevations either. some of course.

Yup as awesome as that storm was -one of the greats of all time

……it left something on the table. They all do. Although actually… I’ve always thought that December 23, 1997 as having the highest efficiency I’ve ever seen. Which is interesting because I don’t even know if that register in a lot of people’s personal annals.

Went from 3 inches of wet snow ending is light drizzle in the interior forecast to 23.5 inches of powder… Doing so in pretty much less than six hours… Skirted by a large area that easily got an excess of a foot with pretty much the same forecast in place…? Certainly that is a strong argument for maximizing efficiency and really for all intents and purposes NOT leaving anything on the table

I remember it vividly....I was in High School and we didn't even get an early dismissal because the forecast was relatively benign.....what a shit-show scampering out into the parking lot in over a foot of paste. I was doing "wheelies" with my old rear-wheel '86 Cutlass Supreme in the corner of the lot lol

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

December1992_snowfall_revised.PNG.4c7fd25f83ea97ce8e0e91e7ccfd04d8.PNG

Almost Halloween....time to give Scooter nightmares.

I guess it could be worse (compare HFD area to TOL), but man did that suck. 
People have to understand the circumstances too. We were all coming off the horrific late 80s early 90s period. My folks relentlessly beating into my head how winters aren't what they used to be. Tremendous jealousy to see and hear about the winters of the 60s and 70s. 

Now the anticipation of one of the all timers you have seen so far. NWS, parents, and OCMS all disrobing from NNE to the canal. You wake up to paste and it's pounding. Now at 9a visibility increases and the temp is 33 with shit flakes and drizzle. You think it's temporary..some sort of a crazy lull or dryslot. This can't be happening right? Hours later that gut punch of a feeling...wanting to puke, cry, and put someone through a wall feeling of pure disappointment. I seriously want to vomit as I type this because I would never wish that feeling on anybody. Not even Kevin. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I guess it could be worse (compare HFD area to TOL), but man did that suck. 
People have to understand the circumstances too. We were all coming off the horrific late 80s early 90s period. My folks relentlessly beating into my head how winters aren't what they used to be. Tremendous jealousy to see and hear about the winters of the 60s and 70s. 

Now the anticipation of one of the all timers you have seen so far. NWS, parents, and OCMS all disrobing from NNE to the canal. You wake up to paste and it's pounding. Now at 9a visibility increases and the temp is 33 with shit flakes and drizzle. You think it's temporary..some sort of a crazy lull or dryslot. This can't be happening right? Hours later that gut punch of a feeling...wanting to puke, cry, and put someone through a wall feeling of pure disappointment. I seriously want to vomit as I type this because I would never wish that feeling on anybody. Not even Kevin. 

I remember hearing how Boston got 9" and being like "wow, sucks to be them". That is the one that put Worcester on the map for me.

21 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

I remember the blizzard warnings vividly, but the storm busted in N Bristol County.  Only had around  5-8" in N Attleboro, while Franklin MA had 12-18" (highest numbers with some elevation).  That's like 5 miles

There was a huge directional gradient right around there (in addition to elevation which was obvious in that storm). I think Walpole had 13", then once you got up to around Hopkinton/Milford, it was 24-28", and then back southeast to near Attleboro as you said, it was single digits.

I need to tighten up the gradient between Milford and Mansfield....the 20"+ was actually a bit southeast of where I have it on that map but then it goes from that to single digits really fast so I should make the map reflect that a bit better. 

• Like 1

Funny that take… I remember 1992 as NWS having to play a bit of catch-up. 

two days before hand… I wasn’t even a meteorology major yet. Actually I briefly derailed myself. For some reason I tried to be a music major when I first went to college-how’s that for an out of left fielder. Lol  

No but I was sitting in some American lit 101 prereq waste of time class. Seated next over was an actual meteorology major.  I use to bug her with theories. Anyway it was two days before that storm and she just kind of was staring off out the window and she muttered ‘We don’t know if that’s going to be all rain’ speaking in deference to the Met crowd up in the weather Lab/UML

The day that it really got underway and we were getting cat paw rain with undulating snow plumes 900 feet off the deck (3:30 pm vantage from University bridge …39F)… they had to do a cut in on television before the evening news because apparently Worcester was getting utterly destroyed. In fact they had to do cut ins throughout the evening as all kinds of crazy shit started happening.

I’ve told the story many times about what I observe that evening with the freakish instantaneous snow flash. 

Point being I wouldn’t of thought anybody SE was really thinking there was a big storm coming from 1992 because that kind of evolved as it was going on from what I remember. I remember Harvey Leonard on TV saying the next early morning how the snow line was rapidly collapsing SE so even they were going to get 6 inches of snow in Brockton after having gotten 4 to 6 inches of rain! That aspect there …that storm had chapters in its total story. 

I think this reflects the totals a bit better....added the 20.3" up near Ray at Groveland coop and brought 20" contour a bit southeast into far western Norfolk county near Medway/Bellingham/Franklin.

I added Walpole's 12.9" total too in there on the plot and Hopkinton's 28".

December1992_snowfall_revised.PNG

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

two days before hand… I wasn’t even a meteorology major yet. Actually I briefly derailed myself. For some reason I tried to be a music major when I first went to college-how’s that for an out of left fielder. Lol  

No but I was sitting in some American lit 101 prereq waste of time class. Seated next over was an actual meteorology major.  I use to bug her with theories. Anyway it was two days before that storm and she just kind of was staring off out the window and she muttered ‘We don’t know if that’s going to be all rain’ speaking of difference to the weather Lab/UML

The day that it really got underway and we were getting cat paw rain with undulating snow plumes 900 feet off the deck (3:30 pm vantage from University bridge …39F)… they had to do a cut in on television before the evening news because apparently Worcester was getting utterly destroyed. In fact they had to do cut ins throughout the evening as all kinds of crazy shit started happening.

I’ve told the story many times about what I observe that evening with the freakish instantaneous snow flash. 

Point being I wouldn’t of thought anybody Southeast to Worcester was really thinking there was a big storm coming from 1992 because that kind of evolved as it was going on from what I remember. I remember Harvey Leonard on TV saying the next early morning how the snow line was rapidly collapsing SEV so even they were going to get 6 inches of snow in Brockton after having gotten 4 to 6 inches of rain. That aspect there …that storm had chapters in its total story. 

From my memory, you are correct about the forecasts leading into Friday and including Friday morning itself. What I recall happening though is an "over correction" by late Friday night where they assumed the R/S line would just keep collapsing SE to include the south shore and much of SE MA so they hoisted blizzard warnings right to places like PYM, but it actually stalled before getting there.

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No but I was sitting in some American lit 101 prereq waste of time class. Seated next over was an actual meteorology major.  I use to bug her with theories. Anyway it was two days before that storm and she just kind of was staring off out the window and she muttered ‘We don’t know if that’s going to be all rain’ speaking in deference to the Met crowd up in the weather Lab/UML

Point being I wouldn’t of thought anybody SE was really thinking there was a big storm coming from 1992 because that kind of evolved as it was going on from what I remember. I remember Harvey Leonard on TV saying the next early morning how the snow line was rapidly collapsing SE so even they were going to get 6 inches of snow in Brockton after having gotten 4 to 6 inches of rain! That aspect there …that storm had chapters in its total story. 

That was the same for my area....they were going like 4-8" after the storm had already began, then 8-12", 12-18", etc. They def. had to ramp up for my area...I remember distinctly listening to that NOAA weather radio.

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That was the same for my area....they were going like 4-8" after the storm had already began, then 8-12", 12-18", etc. They def. had to ramp up for my area...I remember distinctly listening to that NOAA weather radio.

Were you on campus resident when you were there or did you commute?

because those bourgeois hall I think was the name of it and the other one and Fox Tower. They emptied out onto the commons and streets for WWIII massive snowball fight… I mean we were establishing factions and moving squadrons of troops into strategic geodesic boundaries.  Lol. F awesomest SBF ever …

but then the fervor would turned to shivers As those first three or 4 inches that came on really quick started to freeze harder the temperature was crashing to the upper 20s in the snow is starting to go sideways it was taken on that butter scotch nocturnal night glowing blizzard look outside.  Snowball fight over.  

I want to say 15 inches by dawn and maybe another 3 inches during the day, and then it was kind of down to just that blowing light snow that doesn’t really accumulate that following night. 

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Were you on campus resident when you were there or did you commute?

because those bourgeois hall I think was the name of it and the other one and Fox Tower. They emptied out onto the commons and streets for WWIII massive snowball fight… I mean we were establishing factions and moving squadrons of troops into strategic geodesic boundaries.  Lol. F awesomest SBF ever …

but then the fervor would turned to shivers As those first three or 4 inches that came on really quick started to freeze harder the temperature was crashing to the upper 20s in the snow is starting to go sideways it was taken on that butter scotch nocturnal night glowing blizzard look outside.  Snowball fight over.  

I want to say 15 inches by dawn and maybe another 3 inches during the day, and then it was kind of down to just that blowing light snow that doesn’t really accumulate that following night. 

The storm featured the sharpest rain/snow line I have ever seen. The line was about 1/4 of a mile from my house. On one side of the line it was heavy rain, other side of the line heavy snow.  Within 50-100 yards it went from bare ground to 2 inches of snow on the ground. Thankfully the rain/snow line continued to make progress.

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The storm featured the sharpest rain/snow line I have ever seen. The line was about 1/4 of a mile from my house. On one side of the line it was heavy rain, other side of the line heavy snow.  Within 50-100 yards it went from bare ground to 2 inches of snow on the ground. Thankfully the rain/snow line continued to make progress.

Lol.  I know about that snow line. I wrote a novel quality anecdote on here a couple of times regarding that 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a huge directional gradient right around there (in addition to elevation which was obvious in that storm). I think Walpole had 13", then once you got up to around Hopkinton/Milford, it was 24-28", and then back southeast to near Attleboro as you said, it was single digits.

I need to tighten up the gradient between Milford and Mansfield....the 20"+ was actually a bit southeast of where I have it on that map but then it goes from that to single digits really fast so I should make the map reflect that a bit better. 

N side of Raynham had maybe 3” 

I was looking at channel 4 news In the am after storm and the accumulation amounts they were posting in 128 belt and I would Keep looking to a different part of my yard wondering where the heck is all the snow hiding . 

Took a ride up diamond hill to go family sledding in Cumberland  that day .. best gradient I can recall 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

N side of Raynham had maybe 3” 

I was looking at channel 4 news In the am after storm and the accumulation amounts they were posting in 128 belt and I would Keep looking to a different part of my yard wondering where the heck is all the snow hiding . 

Took a ride up diamond hill in Cumberland  that day .. best gradient I can recall 

It started in Stoughton too..down into Sharon. I think they had nearly a foot. Friends in Walpole claimed 18", but that might be a little high..but you get the point. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow, that looks like an absolute toaster bath for the Connecticut River Valley. 

Actually, I was living in North Amherst for that storm and had no idea of the totals around me until I saw a friend from Shutesbury the next day.  I didn’t believe him when he claimed he had gotten close to 30 inches up at 1200’

32 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It started in Stoughton too..down into Sharon. I think they had nearly a foot. Friends in Walpole claimed 18", but that might be a little high..but you get the point. 

The Franklin coop to the west of Walpole at 250-300 feet reported 28 inches....which I think is not totally believable, but you get the idea on the gradient. I could believe the higher spots in Walpole getting 18" though. The 12.9" from the coop was one of the lower spots at 170 feet. Those spots in Walpole at 250-350 feet prob did quite a bit better.