Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

They did that later on though and both had a fantastic January. I would sign up for those seasons in a heartbeat. 

I just mean that the second half was lame. Obviously the ones that hang on well into January are the real winners. I think the key is get a PNA to take a handoff from the NAO, and/or a combo of really favorable EPO ridge/good timing.

44 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Most la nina seasons do...even 2010-2011 did. Same with 2008-2009. The 1996, 2001 and 2018's are tough to come by.

oh man 10-11 was awesome in CNE. 40" Jan, 30" Feb. we had a great pack going into march, then poof.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

1984 is another notable exception...

‘84 had a very good March.  I was turning 16 mid March, and my neighbor had an old snowmobile that he told me I could use in late February if and when it snowed again (a ‘72 Ski Doo Olympic), man did I hit that timing right…rode that old thing all over the neighborhood that month of March with my buddies.  I was already thinking I wanted to try and get myself a used older sled, but I was really hooked after that,  and bought my own a month later with some money I had saved up.   That was such a memorable  March with the snow and the sledding experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

i had 28 "events" between 12/1 and 4/4 that winter, only 2 of them (10" and 12") were > 8". with 116" total. not sure what my max depth was, but i don't think it was anything special.

The winter when SWFEs went wild.  Like you, one each of 10"/12" plus 8" or less but scads of events, total 142.3".  Pack reached 48" on 3/1 and never went below 35" that month, SDDs tops by far in our 24 winters here with only 2018-19 with its early and often November snows even coming within shouting distance.

16 minutes ago, tamarack said:

The winter when SWFEs went wild.  Like you, one each of 10"/12" plus 8" or less but scads of events, total 142.3".  Pack reached 48" on 3/1 and never went below 35" that month, SDDs tops by far in our 24 winters here with only 2018-19 with its early and often November snows even coming within shouting distance.

30 events here that winter here, 137.80", 14" and 10" were the largest, Quite a few in the 7-9" range too.

• Like 2

You'd be hard pressed to find another winter that had as strong a snowfall gradient as 2007-2008

Just south of the pike was probably the dividing line between below normal and above normal (maybe a line from the CT/MA border to near Scooter)...there was a little island of higher snows near PYM because they got stuck in a really good band in the 1/26-27/08 storm that missed most of the area but got the Cape.

2007-2008SNEsnowfall.PNG.5143bc71d18cb40403fab19a15270031.PNG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

You'd be hard pressed to find another winter that had as strong a snowfall gradient as 2007-2008

Just south of the pike was probably the dividing line between below normal and above normal (maybe a line from the CT/MA border to near Scooter)...there was a little island of higher snows near PYM because they got stuck in a really good band in the 1/26-27/08 storm that missed most of the area but got the Cape.

2007-2008SNEsnowfall.PNG.5143bc71d18cb40403fab19a15270031.PNG

Ray loves this distribution for scooter, myself, and the cranberry bogs 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

The radar loop from 1-26/27 is one of my all time favorites for here. I'll have to find it

8 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

The radar loop from 1-26/27 is one of my all time favorites for here. I'll have to find it

I have it on my computer so I can post it later. Your area had a solid 10-12” from that one iirc…with the highest jack being right near PYM where they had over a foot…like 14” or so. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s the last year we do…

Most of the sleep experts say that standard time should be the permanent one instead of DST. 

Who knows what will happen though. Permanent DST passed the senate but the house never took it up. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

47 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I have it on my computer so I can post it later. Your area had a solid 10-12” from that one iirc…with the highest jack being right near PYM where they had over a foot…like 14” or so. 

Here's the one close up loop I have....I wish I had it about an hour or two earlier but you can see where the band was before it started sinking back SE...

Jan27_1100pmRadar.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Most of the sleep experts say that standard time should be the permanent one instead of DST. 

Who knows what will happen though. Permanent DST passed the senate but the house never took it up. 

This.

I don’t see it passing.  Elementary kids will be going to school and waiting for buses, and walking in the dark during the late autumn and winter months. And high school and middle school will be doing night school in the morning lol. I don’t think that’s gonna fly when it comes right down to it.  

When I was in elementary school I remember them trying it one year…it was abandoned after one year. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I am a certified sleep expert. 7-8 hours per night is absolutely mandatory. Health wise if you’re not getting that on a daily basis.. you are shortening your life. It’s why I don’t stay up late looking at models or staying up all night for snow . Set alarms and get up when it’s important 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 4

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Still haven’t worn jeans . Upper body warm .. shorts fine 

I broke down and have worn the Carhartts to work a few times lately.  The time/duration of peak temps is short too.  It hits the high and then is immediately going colder again.  A month ago it seemed to linger warm a lot longer through the day.

• Like 1