Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

32 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Impression it has conjured in me is one that harkens back.  Reminiscent and restoring faith in a normal seasonal progression.  And it’s worth saying it that way. It really is … because from Sandy’s to sans normal foliage season, to early snows, I almost can’t recall a Fall that didn’t have a spectrum oddities to contend with. 

Autumn is naturally going to offer a return to variability … but since ~ 2000  this season has gotten into the habit of exceeding that Rockwellian parody. This year just sensibly touches me like older tradition. It seems observational data tends to support much of this portrait, too. HFD and ORH are -.6 and +.2 respectively. Which for all intents and purposes… ?    normal. Meanwhile, the colors flashed across the landscape perhaps just a week later than 1980 … but of particular notice to me is that species stayed within their color wheel. I got used to saying “…that tree never turns yellow or that one never turned brown.”  And their timing has closer to overlapped. Two mornings here, just now, back to back with frost more convincingly occurring at just about the precise climate signal.   I mean I’m craving warm cider and authentic donuts at this point. 

It has been only 3 Fall seasons, since I moved to my new house. But this is the first that my red oak has actually developed red leaves. The prior 2 seasons have produced only brown leaves. Seems like a more normal autumn here, despite the summer's "drought"

12 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

Haven't worn shorts since maybe my early 30's.  lol  Besides perhaps at a beach, or around the house during the summer.

I agree with you.  I hardly ever wear shorts unless I'm on a boat or hiking something strenuous, or on vacation somewhere beachy. Shorts are kids attire.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Do you wear khaki pants in the summer with your polo tucked in? 

Used to, now its jeans and a polo tucked in.  On weekends its jeans and a Tee, same as after work during the summer.  You just feel half naked with shorts on, plus bugs, bees, stuff getting in your sneakers ..... nevermind if you're doing physical labor. 

• Like 1

Imagine going to a pool party in the summer. It's 95/75. Everyone wearing shorts and flip flops, laughing..flipping bottle caps..maybe even some wardrobe malfunctions...just some good ole summertime fun. Then Joe shittheragman comes in wearing boat shoes, lee dungarees, and his under armour polo. WTF. 

• Haha 4

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Imagine going to a pool party in the summer. It's 95/75. Everyone wearing shorts and flip flops, laughing..flipping bottle caps..maybe even some wardrobe malfunctions...just some good ole summertime fun. Then Joe shittheragman comes in wearing boat shoes, lee dungarees, and his under armour polo. WTF. 

Lol that is a situation I would wear a bathing suit. I would not wear pants to a summer party.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Toting the swampiest ass that has ever swamped....just leaving trails like a snail everywhere.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

30 events here that winter here, 137.80", 14" and 10" were the largest, Quite a few in the 7-9" range too.

Was that 14" event on Jan 14?  We were fringed a bit for that one, 8" at my place and only 5.5" in Farmington but 15 in AUG.  Radar had a beautiful yellow banana arching from IZG thru LEW and AUG to about Belfast.  Started about 9:30 AM in AUG and when I left work at 2 PM (that's another story) there was 10" of fluff in the parking lot, easily parted by my little pickup.  Driving between fields in north Augusta was interesting, as the low visibility and flat light made the road and snowbanks look the same - I had to use the black phone cable as a guide, hoping that it wouldn't cross the road. :lol: 
By the time I reached Belgrade, snow rate was just moderate.

What part of this autumn having a ‘traditional feel’ is unclear or requires a :blink: Emoji 

some of you are dinks.  You don’t “like” something … you gotta cast that shade at the content.  
… well reality called. Tough shit!  you don’t get a perpetuity satisfaction sometimes.  Lol

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 1

59 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

It has been only 3 Fall seasons, since I moved to my new house. But this is the first that my red oak has actually developed red leaves. The prior 2 seasons have produced only brown leaves. Seems like a more normal autumn here, despite the summer's "drought"

I think that red oak got its name due to its heartwood color when freshly cut.  Most of them, including the ones here, offer auburn brown at best.  For reds from oak, the planted pin oaks in Farmington (they're not native to this area) are the best.  They color late, when the native hardwoods (except aspen) are sticks.

13 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Lol that is a situation I would wear a bathing suit. I would not wear pants to a summer party.

Why would you feel naked wearing shorts? For the life of me , I cannot fathom why anyone prefers uncomfortable skinny jeans over a pair of dri fit Nike or Under Armor shorts . Jeans create sweat, tight , cramped packages, and general stomachaches when sitting 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Was that 14" event on Jan 14?  We were fringed a bit for that one, 8" at my place and only 5.5" in Farmington but 15 in AUG.  Radar had a beautiful yellow banana arching from IZG thru LEW and AUG to about Belfast.  Started about 9:30 AM in AUG and when I left work at 2 PM (that's another story) there was 10" of fluff in the parking lot, easily parted by my little pickup.  Driving between fields in north Augusta was interesting, as the low visibility and flat light made the road and snowbanks look the same - I had to use the black phone cable as a guide, hoping that it wouldn't cross the road. :lol: 
By the time I reached Belgrade, snow rate was just moderate.

Yes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why would you feel naked wearing shorts? For the life of me , I cannot fathom why anyone prefers uncomfortable skinny jeans over a pair of dri fit Nike or Under Armor shorts . Jeans create sweat, tight , cramped packages, and general stomachaches when sitting 

Between him and Torch Tiger....I am very very concerned about their behaviors.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol I don't wear skinny jeans.  It's just that there's always a time during the day you need to wear pants because you're doing something that requires it like weed whacking, mowing the lawn, carpentry,  ATV riding.  If the day is hitting the golf course or pool party drinking Bud Select, then fine. 

2 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Lol I don't wear skinny jeans.  It's just that there's always a time during the day you need to wear pants because you're doing something that requires it like weed whacking, mowing the lawn, carpentry,  ATV riding.  If the day is hitting the golf course or pool party drinking Bud Select, then fine. 

So you're spending all day doing that?

• Haha 1

Man too bad that inverted mess punches up the coast.  I guess if it bides time until Monday it’s less annoying but the Euro/GFS screw Sunday out of what would otherwise be a gem.  

Saturday looks good. 

Maybe the GGEM’s better recent trend with that will pull the win coup attempt. Nah..

13 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Wow. Busy day.  What order do these events occur on a daily basis?

I have allergies, and get my legs scratched from high grass, or whatever, but I refuse to wear long pants when doing lawn stuff in the heat. 

• Haha 1