Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wake me Up....when September Ends....

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

At Cumberland Farms at 545 picking up my coffee with my shorts and tee shirt on 57⁰. Everyone I see is bundled in a Hoodie or jacket. Guy says to me aren't you cold? I said no its gonna be a great day. Amazing, couple weeks ago it was 48 and no one was bundled up. 

48/41 this morning with a breeze felt a lot chillier than the calm 44 the other day.

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is one of the most underrated winters..one of  my favorites. 93-94 gets all of the accolades because it was better for the densely populated CJ zone, but 92-93 had two immense signature events. And its not an IMBY thing because I wasn't anywhere close to a jack in either one.

92-93 was remarkable here for bring snowpack from patches to huge in about 6 weeks.  Farmington co-op reached 56"after the superstorm, 2nd only to 1969, and our Gardiner home topped out at 31", tallest in our 13 winters there.  We missed Dec 92 altogether, other than a lot of wind, and our 10.3" for 3/13-14 was near the smallest New England total.  Warm air must've invaded the midlevels, as that 10.3" had 1.70" LE and heavily rimed flakes.
93-94 had less total snow but easily the most SDDs we had.  Pack reached 20" on Jan 18 and didn't drop below 18" until April 2.  That would be ordinary at our current foothills location but was the longest period with that much snow on the ground there, with Jan. 22-Mar. 24 in 1987 the only winter in the same ballpark.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I understand, but as of yesterday evening, PnC had me getting to 47F.  No big deal.  Windier than expected probably contributed?

Yeah. 47F down there would've needed rad cooling after a little CAA. I think MOS had 48F at ORE, but that seemed fairly aggressive after the fropa with CAA just kicking in.

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You have?  I haven’t seen them flying in unison in a long time.  Definitely one of those vibe type things… cloudy low ceiling, breezy, cool and geese being noisy as they fly by.  Pumpkin spice commercial stuff, ha.

There was one with a busted wing shitting on the dock daily at the lake in NE CT.  Couldn’t fly, but seemed to be quite full of crap.

Yeah I mean it could certainly be just something about 'this area' but they've been crisscrossing and honking in groups of 4 to 8 at random times all summer.  We do have old kettle ponds and small lakes around here, as well as the Nashoba River - it may be that we're just like an aviary airport and my town is under an approach path.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Saturday morning should be a radiator special up here, Some may see there first frost.

Dews already into the upper 30s for many Maine points.  A Saturday frost would be close to my average/median for 1st frost, which is Sept. 18.  Last year 1st frost came on Oct. 24, latest by 18 days and only the 2nd time Sept. failed to have a frost.  Moved the average a day toward met summer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Dews already into the upper 30s for many Maine points.  A Saturday frost would be close to my average/median for 1st frost, which is Sept. 18.  Last year 1st frost came on Oct. 24, latest by 18 days and only the 2nd time Sept. failed to have a frost.  Moved the average a day toward met summer.

57/41°F here, Just was out for a walk and its quite breezy out of the north this morning.

I’m heading to Wakefield, NH for our annual weekend of the young once but now old men.  Bringing a sweatshirt for tomorrow evening and early Saturday hiking but I expect warmth by Sunday when I return.  We used to do this a month later but some of the guys head south by then…lol.  Been an ongoing tradition for 42 years.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Whiteface in the Adirondacks joined MWN in the below freezing club.

7EB137FE-E080-4594-9A30-5EFD01B66000.jpeg.61b6822a2fea30696261fa5e30ccf5af.jpeg

We visited the summit of Whiteface during our honeymoon, IIRC on 6/24/71.  We drove to a parking lot at about 4,600' then walked thru a tunnel to the summit elevator.  Probably 50s on top but that tunnel was still making icicles.  Can't remember if that was before or after we were terrorized on the Little Whiteface chairlift.  (Tiny lap bar, no footrest, paint peeling, jackstrawed timber beneath instead of a nice ski trail.)

27 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

July and August were brutal, but I guess since the peak of Mt. Washington recorded a freezing temp in June and September, my ass didn't swamp throughout July and August.

cd146.243.205.193.257.12.14.52.prcp.png

Yeah I don’t see how those two statements have any relevance… some of our warmest winters happen to have freakish early and late season snows.

Just because it snows in October and early May it might be a long “snow season”… but it doesn’t imply anything about what happened between those two events.

• Like 1

Heh.. looks like the Euro's artificially amplifying that trough through S-SE Canada toward the end of next week.   Not shocked if that tones down some 20% ...  In fact, the models have been whole scale alternating much more than that regarding that.. but for now, we happened to have agreement on more. Still, all guidance is guilty of seeing that range through amplifier...  

That said, as these air mass get into near term - at this time of year - we can start to see the radiative cooling potential better.   For example, we can't really use machine numbers for KFIT/KASH ... KBED out in rural reality for tonight.  This is a 'shot before the shot across the bow' air mass, so to speak.   Gossamer warmth is quickly going to be escaping to outer space and probably within an hour of the sun hitting the western tree line.  Could be a solid geekscapade watching the temp go down like a disgraced cosmonaut this evening.  I bet we hit the DPs 1 am.   It just 'feels' like a 39er.  

• Sad 1