Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

skied Pats Peak last night. the fresh snow was like glue. you could be cruising down a trail, but once it flattened out a little bit, if you hit untracked snow, it would practically stop you in your tracks. last run I almost when head first over the skis, that's how drastic the slow down was. Never experienced that before.

Least favorite mountain I’ve skied

has nice pitch first half of trials and so flat second half on too many trails

CNE north  looks like they Will score 3-5” This am when it ends

58 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Least favorite mountain I’ve skied

has nice pitch first half of trials and so flat second half on too many trails

CNE north  looks like they Will score 3-5” This am when it ends

yeah, it can be a little boring, but it is close enough to home so i have a midweek season pass. I am having fun just getting out there at least weekly

Sun valley…steep and deep!! Driving in from boise I had my doubts as it like driving through the flats of Kansas but the mountain is incredible. Packed powder on the groomers and knee deep everywhere else. The whole mountain has pitch so even on a green groomer, you’re carving. Fantastic day.

e62fa803cc704430c861d958785bd316.jpg

aecba256cd59339c6a491ae974d918bb.jpg
79973051f108c632e60a210bc9837a25.jpg
50d1fe395da8b10583f6013a0b500c40.jpg
1ccffa40c78e4d8ee8786700942ae18e.jpg

• Like 7

Great day at Saddleback - guessing 12+" - just fantastic skiing everywhere but especially in the woods with nothing lurking underneath. Some wind holds in the AM but was able to avoid. Back tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Smugglers Notch and Bolton Valley with my daughter Friday and Saturday.

Smuggs was great, 2-3” of snow overnight and the lower angle woods and natural trails skied super nice. 

Bolton Valley was excellent as Jspin mentioned.  We had to go to the main lodge to get our Indy pass tickets, so we started right on vista then caught the opening of wilderness.  

Two great days all around! 

A8850BB1-E479-4C21-80A5-04E4C0F65BFA.jpeg

E1ED7692-DF9A-475D-B57F-F2A57F920EB2.jpeg

75ABDF54-CEC6-4BB4-899B-11E390BC90B3.jpeg

1F9C04E6-5B04-4B85-82A2-A9A0311631D5.jpeg

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Just got back from Telluride. What an amazing town/resort. 

A143AAFD-51E0-4F26-B97A-3B6F300916BD_1_102_o.jpeg

IMG_1735.jpeg

IMG_4721.jpeg

Gorgeous. I’m there every other spring/summer for a TSRC (telluride science research center) workshop covering molecular science.  Always stay in Mountain Village taking the gondola down to Telluride. Lots of great hiking and biking. Haven’t made it out there for skiing yet but your photos make me want to go :-) 

• Like 1

Just now, JKEisMan said:

Gorgeous. I’m there every other spring/summer for a TSRC (telluride science research center) workshop covering molecular science.  Always stay in Mountain Village taking the gondola down to Telluride. Lots of great hiking and biking. Haven’t made it out there for skiing yet but your photos make me want to go :-) 

Yeah it's pretty incredible. They don't get nearly as much snow as other places in CO but the town and resort are spectacular. Basically no lift lines the entire weekend and you're able to take the gondola until 2 a.m. from/to Mountain Village after a night out. 

I did some of the chutes off Gold Hill which were a bit more than I bargained for haha 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah it's pretty incredible. They don't get nearly as much snow as other places in CO but the town and resort are spectacular. Basically no lift lines the entire weekend and you're able to take the gondola until 2 a.m. from/to Mountain Village after a night out. 

I did some of the chutes off Gold Hill which were a bit more than I bargained for haha 

From an operational standpoint that’s awesome. It seems simple but running a gondola until 2am takes a well-oiled operation. That’s some awesome public transportation.

• Like 1

The snow depth of this drift and snowpack at Mammoth is wild.  They’ll be skiing in August up there.  Know they make July sometimes, but this has to take a long time to melt if that’s the snow on the lower mountain.

The snow is as high as the chairlift, which is why it’s plowed away.  Skiing through a groomed channel.

E2AABEBF-ADF0-4248-8465-B034A0EB2547.thumb.jpeg.3ac704bc5ad103461f057c04c9b650d6.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

From an operational standpoint that’s awesome. It seems simple but running a gondola until 2am takes a well-oiled operation. That’s some awesome public transportation.

The gondola is run by the town of Mountain Village and not the resort. Basically mass transit for people who buy 10M dollar homes haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Do you think we could round up some investors for a gondola that runs the rec path route from the village to the mountain?  Put some stops along the way alleviate traffic on 108. We could do it up like the Monorail on tne Simpsons. 

image.jpeg.2ae3809ffe1e794ebe8374dd2a671f67.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Do you think we could round up some investors for a gondola that runs the rec path route from the village to the mountain?  Put some stops along the way alleviate traffic on 108. We could do it up like the Monorail on tne Simpsons. 

image.jpeg.2ae3809ffe1e794ebe8374dd2a671f67.jpeg

Almost everyone has dreamed of those types of public transportation.  It would be the sweetest thing... a loading terminal and then just a ride above the ground over a series of miles... what an attraction on its own, ha.  The nightmare on these types of things during off hours is an evacuation needed or significant delays due to an issue that might require several people to fix.  Need good on-call protocols that have a high number of staff/rescue personnel to evac a gondola in general, much less at 10pm or something like that Telluride to Mtn Village gondola.  I can only dream of a lift like that around here.  It would be a game changer, however impossible it is.  Maybe in 50 years someone tries it.  Things change quickly sometimes over time.

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Almost everyone has dreamed of those types of public transportation.  It would be the sweetest thing... a loading terminal and then just a ride above the ground over a series of miles... what an attraction on its own, ha.  The nightmare on these types of things during off hours is an evacuation needed or significant delays due to an issue that might require several people to fix.  Need good on-call protocols that have a high number of staff/rescue personnel to evac a gondola in general, much less at 10pm or something like that Telluride to Mtn Village gondola.  I can only dream of a lift like that around here.  It would be a game changer, however impossible it is.  Maybe in 50 years someone tries it.  Things change quickly sometimes over time.

Disney has something like it going in Florida.  Their biggest issue is lightning. 

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

When I was in Mountain Village last year someone told me that the entire gondola is funded by a 1 or 1.5% tax on all property transactions in town. During covid when the market exploded they now are running a surplus of millions and millions of dollars. They even have their own car service in Mountain Village... just call a number and they'll pick you up and bring you to a lift of gondola free of charge. 

As much money they have around Stowe it's absolutely next level in Telluride and it's all very compact which works well for a gondola as mass transit.

On another note I was in Medellin, Colombia this summer on vacation and they have an incredibly cool mass transit system that includes an awesome subway system that links up to a fairly complex gondola system to take you from the subway to the neighborhoods on hilltops. I actually spent an entire afternoon bar hopping via gondola and subway connection because I'm a dork. 

• Like 1

Epic season passes on sale for next year . NE value pass 555$. Gives you up to 10 days at Stowe . 414$ for adult mid week value pass 

F’n Stowe..the only place tempting me to go back to epic from ikon. I miss that place and it’s close when jay has wind issues.

Otherwise, I’ve preferred windam over Hunter and Stratton over Mt.snow for when I’m in jersey. And the sun valley experience was top notch. Only good thing is I can always epic day pass a couple days reasonably if I stick with ikon.

went over and skied at Crotched last night for 3 hours - ski on the entire time but more folks (kids) there after dinner time. conditions were quite good and they have a nice base of snow. Flurries most of the time we skied which provided a nice vibe.

such a good utilitarian ski hill. Whenever I go, it takes me back to teaching and skiing with my kids when they were young.

Couple great days up in NH.  Waterville Friday and Cannon Saturday.  

Waterville was probably the top weather day of the season, high 30s and full sun.  Skied almost everything including the trees which were surprisingly very fun.  Groomers and bumps were great too.

F3DCF99A-E563-4DA7-82E3-A1B69BCFA98C.jpeg.aedb1f54b7c8810af6b53cf018d8a756.jpeg

F3DCF99A-E563-4DA7-82E3-A1B69BCFA98C.jpeg.aedb1f54b7c8810af6b53cf018d8a756.jpeg
DC6F1B2D-2D45-47BF-816A-C1E9A686A4FA.jpeg.f38914e86c145d63738663c49b5b62d3.jpeg

Cannon was in midwinter form after a couple weeks of good snow.  Skied lots of woods and natural trails. Did a run on Kinsman and finished our day on an extremely fun and technical off map run.  Everything was a little scraped down and the natural was very icy but that is pretty typical of Cannon regardless. 
C6F16CAC-7C8F-4203-87DA-FE581C055AC6.jpeg.a7c0945e493293d8124570d368fbf801.jpeg

8A521764-EE15-4014-9B28-0BF01194BFF7.jpeg.8f5f7380448eabd8fc4a5a6e00eb267c.jpeg

5F8ED323-53B6-4A01-B314-8547259066E5.jpeg.aa35e016fe9bc485dbb93432db623f04.jpeg

E238D14A-A3A3-4092-AE84-3CEC3F32D7B1.jpeg.05d08d8fa9672919b9783b6c1b3315be.jpeg

D517B265-D97A-4758-9AC3-76FE47FA1BE0.jpeg

• Like 1

just arrived home from Cannon - spectacular day skiing - sun and just the right temperature. No complaints. Just looking at forecast and was hoping they would pick up 12"+ from this next storm but doesn't look like it.