Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We had those few days where you dropped into the 40s...but otherwise this has been the trend for years. A lot of sustained warmth with weak ass breaks in the heat.

Yeah this year seemed better than recent years to me to be honest, but I think in some recent summers it’s been over-the-top style heat that’s baked us almost more so relative to normal.

This summer felt more gradient with the cooler air nearby in S.Quebec.  Felt like half the days were COC up here while Bob in TAN was posting Dominican Republic type obs.

I know for sure there’s some differences of opinion between up north and 3-4 hours drive south that hasn’t been present in recent years.  Next summer probably goes back to full latitude trough in the East. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah this year seemed better than recent years to me to be honest, but I think in some recent summers it’s been over-the-top style heat that’s baked us almost more so relative to normal.

This summer felt more gradient with the cooler air nearby in S.Quebec.  Felt like half the days were COC up here while Bob in TAN was posting Dominican Republic type obs.

I know for sure there’s some differences of opinion between up north and 3-4 hours drive south that hasn’t been present in recent years.  Next summer probably goes back to full latitude trough in the East. 

Jet stream likely is further north. We've also had some dry summers recently that sort of argue for that idea. Not last year lol.

39 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Do foxes go after dogs? Was on a call and all of a sudden I see a big fox just walking through the yard. Not sure I ever seen a fox that big. Thank God the dog wasn't in the room...he probably would have went wild. Usually outside playing too around that time. The Fox would have had a 2 for 1 meal

He/She is rabid if they're out roaming during the day.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Do foxes go after dogs? Was on a call and all of a sudden I see a big fox just walking through the yard. Not sure I ever seen a fox that big. Thank God the dog wasn't in the room...he probably would have went wild. Usually outside playing too around that time. The Fox would have had a 2 for 1 meal

https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/what-do-about-foxes#:~:text=It's normal for foxes to,be looking for a meal.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Well good news is the fox seemed to be acting normal. Sniffed some grass and carried on through a narrow gap between a missing fence piece. I always thought foxes were super small and low to the ground...not this one. Maybe climate change is causing foxes to get bigger too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Well good news is the fox seemed to be acting normal. Sniffed some grass and carried on through a narrow gap between a missing fence piece. I always thought foxes were super small and low to the ground...not this one. Maybe climate change is causing foxes to get bigger too.

Was it a coyote? lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really?  I see fox all the time during the day.  Maybe it’s different at the mountain than in a suburban or urban setting?

They are all super skittish.

AE92C256-B830-44D2-9B13-89E0137FA5C7.jpeg.8065cc81ba0bff4784b0171cd60b1a5f.jpeg

If there coats are ok, Then there ok, But in urban settings i would have concerns.

There more prevalent at night when there's more food available to them.

Although primarily nocturnal (active at night), fox are often seen in suburban or urban areas during the day. Fox are also fairly transient animals and frequently move from place to place. Fox present no danger to humans unless they are rabid, which is rare, or if they are being captured or handled.

42 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If it's hanging around the house and/or looking kind of tame, I agree.  But I've often seen foxes looking totally normal during the daylight hours, as many of their small rodent meals, especially squirrels and chipmunks, are in their nests at night.