Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2022 Complaint/Banter Hangout

IWXwx

On 4/5/2022 at 1:06 PM, Jonger said:

If I could move my kids, girlfriend and company to a sunny location tomorrow -- I would.

Very done with the clouds. Just feels like a waste of life.

100 Percent Agreed, this year has been worst then others very sick of clouds and staring at this ugly rock hard ice pack that we have had since last November.  Dont know how Bo does it in the UP his cover is deeper and longer. The snow birds def have it right for Michigan. 

• Like 1

I just read an article that discussed "Tornado Alley" now including more southern states.  Without getting into a debate about what constitutes tornado alley, the following was tacked on to the end of the article that caught my attention:

"As these storms increase, what can we do to prepare for them?" 

"Recently, legislation was introduced to improve tornado forecasting and warnings. This bill has been in the works for a while but has advanced by a Senate committee. It would require the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to evaluate its IT infrastructure to get information out to the public faster."

"NOAA is working to simplify how alerts are communicated to make them easier to understand while also taking into account the socioeconomic factors that put people at risk. The goal of the new bill would make warning times go from 15 minutes to one hour, giving people more time to find shelter."

I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya, that passing this legislation will in of itself advance the science of predicting tornadoes to an hour ahead of time. Holy low verification scores/warning burnout.

https://www.wrtv.com/national/newsy/tornado-alley-is-expanding-hitting-more-southern-states-than-ever

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, IWXwx said:

I just read an article that discussed "Tornado Alley" now including more southern states.  Without getting into a debate about what constitutes tornado alley, the following was tacked on to the end of the article that caught my attention:

"As these storms increase, what can we do to prepare for them?" 

"Recently, legislation was introduced to improve tornado forecasting and warnings. This bill has been in the works for a while but has advanced by a Senate committee. It would require the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to evaluate its IT infrastructure to get information out to the public faster."

"NOAA is working to simplify how alerts are communicated to make them easier to understand while also taking into account the socioeconomic factors that put people at risk. The goal of the new bill would make warning times go from 15 minutes to one hour, giving people more time to find shelter."

I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya, that passing this legislation will in of itself advance the science of predicting tornadoes to an hour ahead of time. Holy low verification scores/warning burnout.

https://www.wrtv.com/national/newsy/tornado-alley-is-expanding-hitting-more-southern-states-than-ever

An hour is too long imo.  I think there is a sweet spot of around 15 to maybe up to 30 minutes for warnings.  More than that and people's attention will start to wander away from the threat and will result in even more of a cry wolf problem as you alluded to.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

An hour is too long imo.  I think there is a sweet spot of around 15 to maybe up to 30 minutes for warnings.  More than that and people's attention will start to wander away from the threat and will result in even more of a cry wolf problem as you alluded to.

That or it gives them enough time to get themselves into trouble, for example by trying to evacuate out of the path and (if in a metro area) creating a traffic jam.

41 minutes ago, WaryWarren said:

COVID?

First Jerry Taft, then Hamernik, now Ramsey. I know Skilling used the cheat code to lose over 100 pounds, but somebody wrap him in bubble wrap.

^ heart attack. see photo above.

(and not to be insensitive, but sometimes humor can be the best medicine.)

7 hours ago, bowtie` said:

These large sloppy gyres that sit-n-spin overhead and give you days of snizzle, rain, sleet, rain snow, rain at 39 degrees are not my idea of nice Spring weather. Next pattern please!

wait, until you get one in early June.

• Sad 1

On 4/6/2022 at 12:28 PM, madwx said:

6bmq2s.jpg

On 4/7/2022 at 12:43 PM, madwx said:

LMAO the GFS now bombing out a 969 mb low over Milwaukee at D11.   America's Best Model!

FWIW, the 00z GFS was definitely different (in a good way here, and a less bad way there) with the evolution of the pattern beyond mid-next week.

• Like 1

We hit 75º back on March 21st.  We've only hit 50º three times since then.  It appears next Wednesday will be our only 70º day out of the upcoming pattern change.  The latest Euro then shows the upper midwest plunging right back into a long cold pattern with 40s, or even 30s, for highs for several days.  I really despise springs like this.  #!@$#(&*!@#(*^  :axe::gun_bandana::devilsmiley:

• Sad 3

19 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah. If someone has sunny skies for a half hour under a tornado warning, I can’t imagine they would take it all that seriously. 

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Jim Ramsey passed away.  Anyone familiar with WGN in Chicago will remember him.

https://wgntv.com/news/former-wgn-weatherman-jim-ramsey-dies-at-69

We always had WGN on our cable provider around here. Tom Skilling was the only good source for getting an idea on how the medium/long range looked. Even though it was obviously Chicago based, Tom would talk about possible pattern changes two weeks out. You weren't getting that information anywhere else. The NWS forecast was always biased toward climo. Tom would be the only met daring enough to do something like put a temperature 20 degrees below/above normal on a 7 day forecast. This was great information before the days of the internet with all the model data available. I was always disappointed when Tom would be on a 2 week vacation and Jim Ramsey was filling in. Not that Jim Ramsey was bad but he was no Tom Skilling. lol

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

We hit 75º back on March 21st.  We've only hit 50º three times since then.  It appears next Wednesday will be our only 70º day out of the upcoming pattern change.  The latest Euro then shows the upper midwest plunging right back into a long cold pattern with 40s, or even 30s, for highs for several days.  I really despise springs like this.  #!@$#(&*!@#(*^  :axe::gun_bandana::devilsmiley:

Is it really a pattern change when the same pattern of below normal and winter shows up every week?  Probably want to get used to this, it appears to be the norm for the Midwest and Ohio Valley, north of the Ohio River anyway.  I miss Texas, I would rather deal with 3 months of intense heat instead of 6-8 months of miserable cold and snow 70% of the time.  This part of the country stinks.

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, luckyweather said:

I respect your opinion. I have one too. I love this place. I love our weather. No place I’d rather be.

Likewise, there are people that like it here and that’s fine but most grow tired of it or never get used to it if they have moved here due to job like myself and why the sunbelt and southwest are so popular.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NTXYankee said:

Is it really a pattern change when the same pattern of below normal and winter shows up every week?  Probably want to get used to this, it appears to be the norm for the Midwest and Ohio Valley, north of the Ohio River anyway.  I miss Texas, I would rather deal with 3 months of intense heat instead of 6-8 months of miserable cold and snow 70% of the time.  This part of the country stinks.

10 hours ago, NTXYankee said:

Likewise, there are people that like it here and that’s fine but most grow tired of it or never get used to it if they have moved here due to job like myself and why the sunbelt and southwest are so popular.

The snow and even the cold isn't so bad in moderation.

It's the fact that it sticks around forever and the constant overcast skies (granted, west of the Great Lakes out towards Chicago and Minneapolis, it's not *AS* cloudy) that gets to you. It often catches transplants from the sunbelt who aren't familiar with "lake effect" off guard.

This is especially true if you suffer from SAD.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The cold season up here lasts one month too long.  I would love to be able to snap my finger and add 10º to the average high temp after the spring equinox.

Must be making up for the two Novembers we have, since winter doesn't usually show up until about Dec 28th lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

To each their own. I love our seasons. As lucky said, no place I'd rather be.  I could never survive in the broiling heat like Texas, the South or the Southwest and honestly while I get peoples frustration about overcast and things like that, I really don't get how there's ANY appeal to live in a place without 4 seasons. PSA- 8 months of heat, leaves withering off trees (little color) for a few months, and a chance of maybe 1 day seeing snow per year is NOT 4 seasons.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

To each their own. I love our seasons. As lucky said, no place I'd rather be.  I could never survive in the broiling heat like Texas, the South or the Southwest and honestly while I get peoples frustration about overcast and things like that, I really don't get how there's ANY appeal to live in a place without 4 seasons. PSA- 8 months of heat, leaves withering off trees (little color) for a few months, and a chance of maybe 1 day seeing snow per year is NOT 4 seasons.

You have to get DEEP south to get the climate you’re describing. 

I lived in Fayetteville, Ar for I while, would be my ideal climate. Averages 4 degrees warmer than Indy during the summer months but 10 degrees warmer during the winter, with all 4 seasons and multiple chances for snow every year. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

I lived in Fayetteville, Ar for I while, would be my ideal climate. Averages 4 degrees warmer than Indy during the summer months but 10 degrees warmer during the winter, with all 4 seasons and multiple chances for snow every year. 

Yikes. Like I said. To each their own. Would be torture for me. But I suppose if you like a taste of the colder seasons without the longevity of the North that's not a bad place to be. My post was referencing how my aunts sister, who moved to suburban Dallas 30 years ago, describes her climate. 

35 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Right.

We get 4 seasons in most of the Sumbelt north of say a Corpus Christi - Tampa/Orlando line. It's just that the Spring/Fall are extended and the Winter is extremely short.

12 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Yikes. Like I said. To each their own. Would be torture for me. But I suppose if you like a taste of the colder seasons without the longevity of the North that's not a bad place to be. My post was referencing how my aunts sister, who moved to suburban Dallas 30 years ago, describes her climate. 

Sorry to say, I can confirm your aunt's sister is grossly exaggerating the extent of the warm season here, lol.

As the last 2 winters prove, Dallas in particular can get pretty cold at times in the Winter with snow/ice events. It doesn't stick around long and it's not always of consequences, but it does happen. Also, most of the trees do in fact change colors by mid-November before going bare like up north from December to March.

The September - November and March - May are actually pretty pleasant like a Summer up there, as it's not too humid yet and temps are only in the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1