• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Spring Banter 2022

HoarfrostHubb

Don’t want to tread into COVID discussion but some of you may remember my soon to be brother-in-laws father was hospitalized for COVID over a year ago.  He coded out a few times and really didn’t look like he’d make it.

He finally returned home after 13 months in the hospital.  We are going down to Long Island for my sister’s wedding next week and are all beyond happy that he will be able to attend.  

https://longisland.news12.com/we-didnt-think-he-was-going-to-make-it-west-islip-man-returns-home-after-13-month-covid-battle

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Don’t want to tread into COVID discussion but some of you may remember my soon to be brother-in-laws father was hospitalized for COVID over a year ago.  He coded out a few times and really didn’t look like he’d make it.

He finally returned home after 13 months in the hospital.  We are going down to Long Island for my sister’s wedding next week and are all beyond happy that he will be able to attend.  

https://longisland.news12.com/we-didnt-think-he-was-going-to-make-it-west-islip-man-returns-home-after-13-month-covid-battle

Awesome news. Glad to hear he made it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Great news my man. Love to hear it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Fantastic news

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Happy news!  Your family had a rough year!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/15/2022 at 6:54 PM, powderfreak said:

That's awesome, I lost my cousin two months ago to covid, he was 63 and a little overweight but otherwise in good health. Great to hear a success story.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Those are new growths on the spruce I think. They eventually mature into regular spruce needles. 

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol too funny. New growth

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Odd color.  Most blue spruce I've seen, including the one in our front yard, have light green for the new shoots.  Fortunately, those in the pic appear to retain turgor; if they'd been frostbit they would be hanging down.

It’s a “fat Albert” blue spruce, so I was just curious. I scoured the internet and I guess some blue spruce can produce that type of gold color new growth. I was afraid it was a fungus or something 

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My blue spruces came in yesterday. Can anyone explain what is going on here? What are all these yellow things? They look like flowers or something almost, they are on all six trees 

@tamarack

@dendrite

0BD98695-3421-43A4-A3DC-0191E7286F4A.jpeg.c20aef87d1421c238914b6c3fbab2671.jpeg

70D5E670-E3C4-433A-8FF7-E4BF5CA27FFB.jpeg

I used to get that on mine, had them probably 20 years and a blight or something killed them all. I don't remember them being that color every year though.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Odd color.  Most blue spruce I've seen, including the one in our front yard, have light green for the new shoots.  Fortunately, those in the pic appear to retain turgor; if they'd been frostbit they would be hanging down.

The yellow parts look exactly like the new green growth on other spruces, comparing pictures 

1 minute ago, eekuasepinniW said:

It's the new growth. The sickly color is probably because they were dug after going dormant and stored in an unlit space. They broke dormancy and began to grow in darkness. Decent chance that growth will scorch when the sun hits it. 

Thanks, should the tree overall be fine though?

15 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Solid Easter this year. Some family members came out to the family party I haven’t seen since 2019. Packed house at my wife’s cousin’s place. A good time.  

It would have been our first Easter with people over as well, but then the family gets the flu lol. Oh well. Mustered up enough energy to make a ham.

• Weenie 1

18 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Awesome thanks, I’ll post pics periodically. Love the color, nothing else like it in the neighborhood 

Make sure you give them some space to grow into. They can get quite large. The people who lived at my place before me planted one alone and some in a grove. The single one is huge and the grove ones have all grown into each other. Some have even been completely overtaken and killed.

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Make sure you give them some space to grow into. They can get quite large. The people who lived at my place before me planted one alone and some in a grove. The single one is huge and the grove ones have all grown into each other. Some have even been completely overtaken and killed.

I gave them a good amount of space. It’s weird because we got the inspiration from a house we lived near growing up. They planted them probably no more than 5 feet apart and they are probably 20 feet tall if not bigger now and look awesome. Almost like they didn’t branch out as wide as they could have, but kept there fullness and didn’t grow into each other. 

I can't believe how big my hemlock got since I moved here. I didn't realize it until I compared images of the house when it was up for sale in 2013 when we bought it. It's the width that is more of an issue because it kills grass under it. Already trimmed it back once. @tamarack Is there a good way to keep these growing more in the vertical, vs horizontal? I don't want to cut it, but not sure what else I can do. I love the tree.