Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

What a gradient, 9.4" in Warwick and 0.7" in Morristown.

Almost all sleet in between the ice.

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

zr_acc.us_ne.png

It will be interesting to see if these gradients actually verify or if the mid levels are warmer than most models are picking up on but outside of the NAM almost every model is now trending toward a very tight gradient somewhere near HPN.   

1 hour ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

It’s a huge warm outlier and anybody with a brain knows this. 

I would not discount the nam is this type of event.   It's possible the nam is too aggressive with the warm air aloft but it does a pretty good job with warm noses.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I would not discount the nam is this type of event.   It's possible the nam is too aggressive with the warm air aloft but it does a pretty good job with warm tongues.  

In this case the NAM is not just showing a warm tounge, its basically showing an entirely different storm track with a primary up to Western NY and a secondary over Cape Cod.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

I would not discount the nam is this type of event.   It's possible the nam is too aggressive with the warm air aloft but it does a pretty good job with warm noses.  

It's an absolute warm outlier and not even close to other guidance. It's not just about warm tongues. Nothing is even close. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

I don’t like how far North the primary gets. From that standpoint it’s a big outlier. 

The Euro usually over does snow on the S edge in these events.  I've never fully understood why because it has a solid grid resolution but it typically misses the warm nose til the last minute.  The RGEM is by far the best model if you ask me for ptype at the moment though it is likely too cold after 10Z Fri AM on the south edge 

1 minute ago, Tatamy said:

18z Euro

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

there is no reason the EURO can't verify - the cold air at all levels will not be easy to move out of place - its a fresh injection and the primary will be weakening as it throws its energy to the secondary.......

Just now, NEG NAO said:

there is no reason the EURO can't verify - the cold air at all levels will not be easy to move out of place - its a fresh injection and the primary will be weakening as it throws its energy to the secondary.......

The cold air will hang at the surface but the 700-800mb SW jet is racing in. It’s borderline in the beginning but very pronounced by 08-10z.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The Euro usually over does snow on the S edge in these events.  I've never fully understood why because it has a solid grid resolution but it typically misses the warm nose til the last minute.  The RGEM is by far the best model if you ask me for ptype at the moment though it is likely too cold after 10Z Fri AM on the south edge 

That's the 10 to 1 map. The Kutchera is more accurate for sleet.

4 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

The high isn't racing to the east.  These cold trends are legit.  A few inches to sleet for NYC seems possible with alot more for the interior NY and PA.

11 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s not actually true. South of sunrise highway east of the meadowbrook went to all rain on VDay 2007. I was living in Long Beach at the time and went to my parents in south wantagh and was shocked that there was no ice on the trees there. Meanwhile right down to the beach in Lb stayed frozen 

wow thats interesting, it stayed just below freezing here both days.  It must matter where on the south shore you are, the farther east you go the higher the temps.  Another example is March 1993, when JFK got 12 inches of snow and Oceanside got 10 inches....as soon as you went east of Oceanside the amounts dropped off

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Wow warning level snow to the Bronx border.  

I’d bet it’s too cold in this setup. I think the best hope the city has is that it can stay all sleet instead of a period where it turns to rain or ZR. The warm mid level air is often under modeled in SWFEs and I’ve seen the Euro be too cold in these before. But it’s possible the coastal low can develop a little sooner and prevent the surface from warming above freezing. Mid levels though will be too late.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

9D680BD9-DFA9-412A-986D-BBD9AA826704.png

I hate winter storm warnings and just the terminology "winter storm" because snow and ice can occur in any season besides summer.  I think we need a separate warning system for snow and it needs to start at either 10 or 12 inches of snow and get rid of the terminology of "
winter storms completely.  Keep everything separate-- snow storms, ice storms and frozen starts (which would be a mixture)

• Like 1