Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,124
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    laikakat
    Newest Member
    laikakat
    Joined

Feb 16-17th Winter Storm


Chicago Storm
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Lightning said:

2 biggest storms of so far this winter in southern MI: DTX radar is down for upgrade for the first storm.  GRR radar is down for upgrade for the second storm. :lol:

Its like they think their gonna need those updates to track severe weather or something this summer. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

Rain, sleet and snow today. Think they pulled mail carriers from their routes, going to have to change their motto...

.

 

Different breed down there. :thumbsdown:

 We haven’t missed a day up here, including GHD III. :scooter:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chicago WX said:

Different breed down there. :thumbsdown:

 We haven’t missed a day up here, including GHD III. :scooter:

I don't know for certain that they did, but on my 3 outings today I don't recall seeing any mail trucks.

 

Tracking still says out for delivery so we'll see. Never used to happen regardless of weather, was one of the motto's they actually prided themselves with

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man looks like DTW and TTF are going to be walking a fine line here between wasting half of the storm on sleet and whatever.

 

modelling solutions are stronger and further north west.

 

might even get into a dry slot for a time“ according to the latest Hi-Rez NAM

 

but looks to be convective snows in the tail end deformation area.

 

Still not overly confident on snow amounts from Detroit and South

 

 

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Owensnow said:

Man looks like DTW and TTF are going to be walking a fine line here between wasting half of the storm on sleet and whatever.

 

modelling solutions are stronger and further north west.

 

might even get into a dry slot for a time“ according to the latest Hi-Rez NAM

 

but looks to be convective snows in the tail end deformation area.

 

Still not overly confident on snow amounts from Detroit and South

 

 

We had freezing drizzle for a while and now it's been sleeting for about an hour. This was totally expected however. Should change over to snow hopefully in an hour or so

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

We had freezing drizzle for a while and now it's been sleeting for about an hour. This was totally expected however. Should change over to snow hopefully in an hour or so

Looks like all snow north of 94, nice band right over my house going back down towards ann arbor. Figures a 1-2 inch band finally comes when I'm not there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

KLOT

Update

Through tonight...

Heavy snow has expanded across much of the forecast area
southeast of a line from Waukegan to Dixon, with very dangerous
conditions unfolding for areas south of the Kankakee River into
east-central Illinois. Meanwhile, a period of moderate to heavy
snow with gusty winds will result in significant travel impacts
into the Chicago metro through early evening. It is highly
recommended that any unnecessary travel be delayed through at
least early evening.

The 850-700 hPa F-gen axis across northwest Illinois that was
noted in an earlier AFD update is apparently playing a major role
in shifting the heavier snow back north after guidance continued
its southward trend prior to 12Z. The top-down saturation of this
band likely acted as a dry-air barrier across far northern
Illinois, allowing for quicker saturation and a farther northward
footprint of the snow shield at the surface. A fairly expansive
area of 25dBz+ reflectivity within an impressive jet entrance
circulation and ahead of a sharp mid-level trough extends SW back
to the Mississippi River as of 2pm CT. Given upstream trends and
current snowfall rates in the CWA, snow totals were increased by
roughly an inch across much of the area where headlines are in
effect. This included an expansion of the winter weather advisory
into De Kalb and Lee counties.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

We had freezing drizzle for a while and now it's been sleeting for about an hour. This was totally expected however. Should change over to snow hopefully in an hour or so

I've been getting steady snow for almost an hour now, but it's mostly tiny flakes with some snowglobe snow mixed in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Owensnow said:

Man looks like DTW and TTF are going to be walking a fine line here between wasting half of the storm on sleet and whatever.

 

modelling solutions are stronger and further north west.

 

might even get into a dry slot for a time“ according to the latest Hi-Rez NAM

 

but looks to be convective snows in the tail end deformation area.

 

Still not overly confident on snow amounts from Detroit and South

 

 

Not sure what you're talking about??image.png.afa4811c864cbb910745cafcadd8f25f.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WeatherMonger said:

I don't know for certain that they did, but on my 3 outings today I don't recall seeing any mail trucks.

 

Tracking still says out for delivery so we'll see. Never used to happen regardless of weather, was one of the motto's they actually prided themselves with

I stand corrected, was just delivered

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...