Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

6 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I'd like to think we can make up that 50 miles, but I think that's a lot to ask at this point given the convergence on a solution that we're seeing now. I agree, though, that if we could get things to go neutral/negative/closed off just a bit west/earlier then we could see much better snows form the coastal west of the bay.

I'd love to be wrong, but it seems a really tall order.

You’re likely correct. However… it wouldn’t be the first storm this year to end up more amped / west of what was modeled 36 hours out. Flip side, it is also a more complex and different setup than the previous storms were, so there’s no guarantee things shift NW either (no blocking) 

IDK man. When I see a rapidly deepening coastal low and plenty of cold air around with models flirting 8/9/12” snows just east of the bay 36 hours out… knowing the tendency for models to shift NW slowly but steadily until game time, my hopes aren’t dead for the 95 crew. Frederick, Winchester and WV? Yeah. Way too far west for coastal surprises. But DCA and especially BWI are still in the game. Windows closing very quickly though. 

Just now, nj2va said:

It's funny.  Just by seeing this (and knowing nothing about the tracking the last week), I'd say we were staring at a MECS.  Just a bit late getting the trough to go negative is the story for us.

Yup. 6 hours earlier and we would all be kissing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

Its obviously unlikely within the envelope of time we have/we are working with here, but we have seen a few better h5 trends this morning with regards to heights out front and tilting this quicker. 

Unfortunately we are running out of time and the GFS has been rock solid for 3 days now. I'm not optimistic. 

3 minutes ago, nj2va said:

It's funny.  Just by seeing this (and knowing nothing about the tracking the last week), I'd say we were staring at a MECS.  Just a bit late getting the trough to go negative is the story for us.

i think our best storms have a better defined upper level low or a closed low, though i would have expected better front end precip.  seems like there's just too many moving parts in the northern stream and too late of a phase, but still a close call for 95 east.

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

So the GFS develops two lows pressure centers, one of which would be good for us and the other one less so, what is going on here and why does the less favorable low position win out? Or is it some sort of mistake?

GFS preassure.png

Good for who? That low is way too far east for the metros. It's fine for OC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Its obviously unlikely within the envelope of time we have/we are working with here, but we have seen a few better h5 trends this morning with regards to heights out front and tilting this quicker. 

I agree with this, but the thing that's annoying me now is that the trough is a bit broader at 48 on the 12z suite in general.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

i think our best storms have a better defined upper level low or a closed low, though i would have expected better front end precip.  seems like there's just too many moving parts in the northern stream and too late of a phase, but still a close call for 95 east.

Yeah for sure, some changes would be needed there but still just looking at the panel, I'd be kinda excited.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

I agree with this, but the thing that's annoying me now is that the trough is a bit broader at 48 on the 12z suite in general.

Yep, looking at the previous 2 GFS runs, its back further SW and a bit deeper/slightly more negative, but the base is broadening. NAM did that too, because on 12z today it too was a better orientation. 

4 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

So the GFS develops two lows pressure centers, one of which would be good for us and the other one less so, what is going on here and why does the less favorable low position win out? Or is it some sort of mistake?

GFS preassure.png

if I had to guess, its struggling with the low placement at the surface. your best bet is to pay attention to the 500/700 levels

• Thanks 1

Just now, DDweatherman said:

Yep, looking at the previous 2 GFS runs, its back further SW and a bit deeper/slightly more negative, but the base is broadening. NAM did that too, because on 12z today it too was a better orientation. 

I think the broadness is causing it to escape east initially (following convection on all models) since more energy is not consolidating at the base if it were sharper.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

if I had to guess, its struggling with the low placement at the surface. your best bet is to pay attention to the 500/700 levels

yea, i think it's a product of a late phase as well.  the lp takes time to build to the surface while waiting on the upper level energy.

4 minutes ago, LP08 said:

I think the broadness is causing it to escape east initially (following convection on all models) since more energy is not consolidating at the base if it were sharper.

So just need the trough to sharpen at HH. Then one big push west at 0z and everybody eats. Not going to happen but this is the way

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

yea, i think it's a product of a late phase as well.  the lp takes time to build to the surface while waiting on the upper level energy.

yes, that too. as others have said, if the phase was happening 6hrs earlier, we'd be golden. but its happening too close to our latitude, which doesn't do much for us west of the bay. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic