Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

9 minutes ago, high risk said:

NAM parent looks great with the snow, but temps are above freezing until early evening, so it might struggle to accumulate during the daylight hours.

edit:  and "looks great" should have been "looks improved with the front end snow"

and of course, the Nest doesn't look as good.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Ravens94 said:

It finally does ditch the convection finally this run but to late. Low corrects far West near the vort

91f97f70-76e4-446f-b4e7-27f61000f0a8.gif

I know this is a weenie observation. But it wouldn’t take much for this to be  a lot better for the 95 crew. Which is keeping me interested. And i could care less if that means that it could also be off farther to the East because I’m already mostly out of the game verbatim.  I’m gonna ride this one to the end.

• Like 1

Is it possible that models are popping the coastal a bit too east versus where they should be? While it’s hard for me to believe all models are making the same mistake, something seems off. Normally you’d look at 500 and 700 to get a good idea of where the MSLP should pop. The coastal should generally form and track along the baroclinic zone, not on top of convection. NAM isn’t the only model to do it either  

honestly, the only reason I mention this is because I read through some research on the “baroclinic zone and its affect on east coast winter cyclones” over the last few days after seeing a few METS use the term on twitter.  

guess we’ll find out soon enough  

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/249620653_The_Effect_of_Gulf_Stream-induced_Baroclinicity_on_US_East_Coast_Winter_Cyclones

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, Ravens94 said:

It finally does ditch the convection finally this run but to late. Low corrects far West near the vort

91f97f70-76e4-446f-b4e7-27f61000f0a8.gif

This is exactly what I mean. How can this be correct? It looks like it attempts to correct itself, despite no mechanism present to push the storm WNW like that. That’s an odd track, no doubt.

Looking at 500 and 700, it seems like the storm (and associated precip shield) should be further west when it gets going initially off the NC coastline. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jayyy said:

This is exactly what I mean. How can this be correct? It looks like it attempts to correct itself, despite no mechanism present to push the storm WNW like that. That’s an odd track, no doubt.

Looking at 500 and 700, it seems like the storm (and associated precip shield) should be further west when it gets going initially off the NC coastline. 

That's what I see. It needs to not fire in the convection. If it does use the west side it's a very different result 

• Like 1

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic