Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-29, 2022 Miller abcdefu Storm Threat

WxUSAF

38 minutes ago, dtk said:

It's a shame that we cannot get consistent simulations for an under-observed, highly chaotic, strongly nonlinear system with finite computing. I need a new career.

I know you’re kidding but I think they’ve done very well. If you account for known biases and ignore the one or two outliers each suite the consensus has been extremely consistent for days. Imo some just pay too much attention to every run that nudges slightly closer to what they want even if it’s just noise or guidance bouncing around within the typical range of error for a lead time. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Euro should be a little better for friday compared to 0z for those that care still.

Dude, I’m all the f*ck IN. All I’ve wanted this whole week is some minor accumulations and great Friday HH mood setting. 12z runs all seem supportive of that. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Maybe this will help give the east coast mets clarity.

Plan of the Day

NOUS42 KNHC 261810
REPRPD
WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
0110 PM EST WED 26 JANUARY 2022
SUBJECT: WINTER SEASON PLAN OF THE DAY (WSPOD)
         VALID 27/1100Z TO 28/1100Z JANUARY 2022
         WSPOD NUMBER.....21-057

I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
    1. FLIGHT ONE - TEAL 74
       A. 28/0000Z
       B. AFXXX 02WSA TRACK62
       C. 27/1800Z
       D. 10 DROPS AS PUBLISHED ON TRACK
       E. AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE/ 27/2030Z-28/0230Z

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: POSSIBLE MISSION ALONG
       TRACK 62 FOR 29/0000Z.

Most encouraging sign I’ve seen at 12z for those of us west of the Bay is that the snow tomorrow has returned and is maybe juicing up a bit. Feeling good at accumulation for most everyone in the subforum. General 1-3” seems like the right call for the metro corridor but there’s certainly scenarios (banding and some ratios) where I think there could be a couple lollipops with 4” or a bit more.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Dude, I’m all the f*ck IN. All I’ve wanted this whole week is some minor accumulations and great Friday HH mood setting. 12z runs all seem supportive of that. 

That's all I've been looking for too down here around EZF, 2-3" Friday Afternoon/Evening, good times! Feels like that is very doable!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I know you’re kidding but I think they’ve done very well. If you account for known biases and ignore the one or two outliers each suite the consensus has been extremely consistent for days. Imo some just pay too much attention to every run that nudges slightly closer to what they want even if it’s just noise or guidance bouncing around within the typical range of error for a lead time. 

Indeed, I was kidding and I absolutely love the challenge of trying to contribute to our "Quiet Revolution".  We have a lot more to do, but it's pretty darn amazing how far we've come.

I have actually been watching model performance more closely than I usually have time for. The GFS set some of its own all-time record high skill for several metrics in the NH in Dec. 2021, followed by a (relatively) rough patch in January. For some perspective and from a high level, we continue to gain about a day of lead time per decade of development and implementation in global NWP.... It's interesting though, and as @Bob ChiII pointed out somewhere else, that doesn't always translate to the anecdotes, individual events, etc. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• mappy locked and unpinned this topic