Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

7 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Sticking pretty close to numbers I put out yesterday morning. 

NYC/Immediate metro: Yesterday 4-8" -> Now going 6 -10"

Far NW NJ: Yesterday 1-3" -> Now going 2-4"

West of I95 8" tapering to 4" starting along and north of 80 and West of 287

South and East of I95: Holding with 12-18" with the 18" amounts closest to the coast and central and eastern L.I.

In general ratios 12:1 - 13:1 give or take.  Maybe 15:1 northern and western edges of snow shield.

Any changes will come from nowcasting as event unfolds.

Currently very light snow with about .10" new snow.

So you're only expecting .25qpf in Sussex/Warren co?

Blizzard Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY
959 AM EST Fri Jan 28 2022

NYZ078-080-282200-
/O.UPG.KOKX.WS.W.0002.220129T0000Z-220130T0000Z/
/O.NEW.KOKX.BZ.W.0001.220129T0000Z-220130T0000Z/
Northwest Suffolk-Southwest Suffolk-
959 AM EST Fri Jan 28 2022

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations
  of 11 to 15 inches. Winds gusting as high as 50 mph.

* WHERE...Northwest Suffolk and Southwest Suffolk Counties.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 7 PM EST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The
  hazardous conditions could impact the evening commute. Gusty
  winds could bring down tree branches.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Blizzard conditions are expected Saturday
  morning into early Saturday afternoon. White out conditions are
  likely at times.

• Like 1

My call:

Eastern 2/3 of Suffolk (roughly Rt 112 on east): 16-24". If there's an area that can get over 24" it would be around the William Floyd Parkway I think. This also includes CT east of New Haven (east of I-91). There too a lucky band can get someone over 24".

West of Rt 112 to around the Van Wyck Expressway in Queens, SW CT, Jersey Shore: 10-16"

NYC west of the Van Wyck, along to 20mi west of I-95 in E NJ, Rockland/Westchester: 6-10"

West of there to the DE River in NJ, up to I-84 in NY: 3-6"

NW of there: Under 3"

I may be underestimating the cutoff to the west in which case the amounts in W NJ and upstate NY would be high but it looks like initial WAA snow should help and ratios should be good. 

Euro would have me go a little higher in the 10-16" area, maybe 14-18" but will wait on that and iffy especially if this double barreled low crap does happen. Overall a significant event near the city to major over LI and E CT.

• Like 5

I just want to caution folks on aiming too high on these ratios again.  I think 12:1 is a solid middle ground and reasonable right now.  Just too much wind.

That said, this is a clear warning criteria storm east of 287 and a monster for SNE, Suffolk and some of the jersey shore.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, NittanyWx said:

I just want to caution folks on aiming too high on these ratios again.  I think 12:1 is a solid middle ground and reasonable right now.  Just too much wind.

That said, this is a clear warning criteria storm east of 287 and a monster for SNE, Suffolk and some of the jersey shore.

East of what part of 287? 287 is a loop from Port Chester through Central Jersey. I’d say from the western side of 287 east we see clear warning level snows. 

While waiting for additional model runs, some info. regarding snowstorms with an AO+/PNA+ pattern. The 500 mb pattern over the U.S. is similar to that of January 26, 2015 leading up to a storm that brought 24.6" snow to Boston, 10.7” to JFK, 11.0”, to LGA and 9.8" to NYC.  There were widespread 12”-20” amounts in Suffolk County. The synoptic evolution and details will drive the outcomes for the upcoming storm.

image.jpeg.8d235861855e2dcdf081329b39f91866.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Just now, weatherpruf said:

It moved west, it moved east...NWS still going 5-9 last I checked for my area just west of SI. Hope to do a little better, not worried about not seeing 2 feet. 10-12 would be great, pure gravy. At this point we have to let it just roll and see what happens.

I like where you sit in this setup.  You've done well on some of these tight gradient coastals over the years.  

Regarding last minute shifts, I always think about Feb '83 and Feb '89, and how each ultimately played out.

- Feb '83 leaving for school that morning the forecast was mostly out to sea, maybe 2-5 .  By 3PM with 6" down, NWS (remember the awesome TWC red scroll and even more awesome red background screen?) was still saying only 8-10.  Ended up with 16 by me.

- Feb '89 leaving for school we were expecting to be crushed.  Ended up with not a flake, w/Montauk & AC getting crushed.

If this board existed back then, would I have known the real score heading out the door that morning, i.e. was it already really apparent in the morning and TV/radio hadn't caught up yet?  How does that compare to today?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

While waiting for additional model runs, some info. regarding snowstorms with an AO+/PNA+ pattern. The 500 mb pattern over the U.S. is similar to that of January 26, 2015 leading up to a storm that brought 24.6" snow to Boston, 10.7” to JFK, 11.0”, to LGA and 9.8" to NYC.  There were widespread 12”-20” amounts in Suffolk County. The synoptic evolution and details will drive the outcomes for the upcoming storm.

image.jpeg.8d235861855e2dcdf081329b39f91866.jpeg

Thanks as always Don. I think 1/27/15 has been the top analog to this storm for a while now. Very similar evolution by the looks of it. Maybe we can luck out and nudge the action a little west of where that ended up. 

4 minutes ago, SleetStormNJ said:

I like where you sit in this setup.  You've done well on some of these tight gradient coastals over the years.  

Only on one, Boxing Day. The other ones have been mostly disappointing, but not disastrous. Boxing Day we were in the thick of it, but that wasn't a New England special. 3-6 is still on the table, but we hope to do better than that. A trip to the parking lot, which is as far as I made it, this morning at the market showed clear pandemonium. Not worth it, so I left. There is, after all, a pandemic going on.....

4 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Regarding last minute shifts, I always think about Feb '83 and Feb '89, and how each ultimately played out.

- Feb '83 leaving for school that morning the forecast was mostly out to sea, maybe 2-5 .  By 3PM with 6" down, NWS (remember the awesome TWC red scroll and even more awesome red background screen?) was still saying only 8-10.  Ended up with 16 by me.

- Feb '89 leaving for school we were expecting to be crushed.  Ended up with not a flake, w/Montauk & AC getting crushed.

If this board existed back then, would I have known the real score heading out the door that morning, i.e. was it already really apparent in the morning and TV/radio hadn't caught up yet?  How does that compare to today?

my favorite snowstorm of all time because it was my first real biggie. I did experience the one in 78. This one they talked about days before, almost a week, and were hyping it but then as we got about 24 hours to the event they started to drop totals and yeah they were saying 1-3/2-4. We all went off to school and I remember the snow starting in the morning sometime and it was already past the time they would call the half day. But it was a quick call for early dismissal immediately within the hour. Remember the big flakes that day the numbers kept going and going up...3-6, 4-8, 6-10, 10-14, 12-18 and then finally 18-24.  My first experience with Thundersnow. I think we had 23 IMBY, it was insane to experience that and it would be until Jan 1996 I would experience something that topped it.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Thanks as always Don. I think 1/27/15 has been the top analog to this storm for a while now. Very similar evolution by the looks of it. Maybe we can luck out and nudge the action a little west of where that ended up. 

I agree.

FWIW, below are Suffolk County's amounts from that storm:

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...
   ORIENT                30.0   807 PM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER         
   SOUTHAMPTON           29.0   615 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   MATTITUCK             26.9   404 PM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER         
   MEDFORD               25.6   100 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   ISLIP AIRPORT         24.9   100 PM  1/27  FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER   
   NORTH PATCHOGUE       24.1  1235 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   WEST BABYLON          24.0   600 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   OAKDALE               23.5   120 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   MILLER PLACE          22.0   130 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   FLANDERS              22.0   204 PM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER         
   PORT JEFFERSON STATI  22.0   600 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   LINDENHURST           21.6   530 PM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER         
   FARMINGVILLE          21.5   330 PM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER         
   HOLBROOK              21.5   100 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   EAST NORTHPORT        21.0   715 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   SHOREHAM              21.0   413 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   COMMACK               20.0  1030 AM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   DEER PARK             20.0  1230 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   SMITHTOWN             20.0  1240 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   UPTON                 17.1   100 PM  1/27  NWS OFFICE              
   BAY SHORE             16.5  1110 AM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER         
   TERRYVILLE            16.5  1202 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   ST. JAMES             16.0  1100 AM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   YAPHANK               15.7   220 PM  1/27  PUBLIC                  
   LAKE RONKONKOMA       14.0  1120 AM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER         
   OLD FIELD              9.2   212 PM  1/27  TRAINED SPOTTER        
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

This one though was never supposed to deliver much to a large part of the metro area west of the city; the 2015 one was expected to until the last second. And that could still happen, a bust west. Hope not. Just looked a little better for us last night over here. Still hoping for a decent event. Storms like Feb 2013 and Jan 2015 still managed to give us a good slap. Was hoping for a little better than that. We'll see.

• Like 1