Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

2 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

The "Big" snow idea is diminishing. I think 4-8 is a reasonable call for western L.I. on westward. The 12+ inch possibility seems to be waning more and more with every set of runs. A little disappointing considering the potential of this storm but this was always a thread the needle event so we take what we can 

I'm not sure I see the big numbers decreasing,  it's held course if anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

The "Big" snow idea is diminishing. I think 4-8 is a reasonable call for western L.I. on westward. The 12+ inch possibility seems to be waning more and more with every set of runs. A little disappointing considering the potential of this storm but this was always a thread the needle event so we take what we can get.

That may be true but 4-8 or 6-8 is still a good storm if that is the end result. You make it seem like it's going to be 1-3. I wouldn't too much trust in the GFS. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

It is very real.

The issue it is showing is the lack of a clean phase. You want this to consolidate much more quickly. If the Northern vort phases in/consolidates and/or the trough tightens a bit, then this double barrel low either does not show up or quickly consolidates to the westernmost low. 

Yep. Need a faster/cleaner phase. close off little early an its perfect 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jt17 said:

It's a little better for sure, but still has a lot of work tho 

100%. However -to me- the GFS is going to be stubborn here. So these baby steps on the GFS are pretty big to me. 

I keep drilling this, but the H5 is incredibly close to something special. It really is. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jt17 said:

NYC - queens. The heart of the forum. Where the gfs went from .6 to .8 inches of snow. It didn't cave. (Yet). I'm in the camp of the cmc/euro/nam anyway. I just don't get why anybody is pumping up this gfs run lol 

This is close to a total non event for everyone NW of NYC (Orange, Rockland, Bergen, Passaic counties). It’s 1-3 inches total at best there. If you want big totals, they will be in LI and eastern NE IMO

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

100%. However -to me- the GFS is going to be stubborn here. So these baby steps on the GFS are pretty big to me. 

I keep drilling this, but the H5 is incredibly close to something special. It really is. 

I agree, it's why I haven't given up on something major. Smallest of changes can have a huge impact on how this plays out!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

A Hecs / Mecs  is off the table but a nice secs is still on. What's wrong with that ?

We're all chasing the white whale up until the time the snow starts falling. That's who we are. But once that happens, close the laptop, go outside and enjoy what falls.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

After the frustration this month that would be a massive win. 

The +AO/PNA couplet is not favorable for us but much more favorable for Boston hence why they're getting the big amounts.

Agree

It's hard for our area to get a major snowstorm without a negative NAO.

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

A Hecs / Mecs  is off the table but a nice secs is still on. What's wrong with that ?

Nothing but when the potential for more, a lot more, is so close people are going to naturally be disappointed with a lesser outcome.

Anyway, this is entering banter territory so I'll put a lid on it.

• Like 1

The 20"+ amounts from a few days ago are off the table but this will still be a double digit snowfall for many with potential for a few surprises depending on where the best banding sets up. 

The 12z GFS was actually quite a bit better. If you look at the last four runs of the GFS at 500mb valid 18z Saturday, the position of the ULL is actually back to where it was on yesterdays 12z run. It ticked East at both 18z and 00z, then back West at 06z and now at 12z.

The last three runs of the GFS have also trended towards the ULL closing off sooner.

The Northern stream shortwave has also slowed down considerably the last few runs. If that Southern piece can get out ahead of the trough, it will dig more, amplify the trough and we will be in business. Not saying that will happen but that's what we need at this point. 

• Like 3