Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

2 minutes ago, msuwx said:

It’s weird to me how this board can be lit up like a Christmas tree analyzing the Day 8 NAVGEM, but now that a major storm is about to hit many, many people in the region, the post frequency tails off.

Is it because the storm isn’t producing pure snow for many? Eastern NC getting the short end of the stick?

To me, this is pretty easily the most significant winter storm, per capita, in a few years. 

To me this is a weird time for the models the long range are getting out of their wheelhouse but the short range and mesoscale hadn’t really come into their wheelhouse I think it will light up more overnight and tomorrow

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, msuwx said:

It’s weird to me how this board can be lit up like a Christmas tree analyzing the Day 8 NAVGEM, but now that a major storm is about to hit many, many people in the region, the post frequency tails off.

Is it because the storm isn’t producing pure snow for many? Eastern NC getting the short end of the stick?

To me, this is pretty easily the most significant winter storm, per capita, in a few years. 

Activity will pick up. We're in the in between, where models are pretty locked in, but we're not yet now casting (radar hallucinations and hyperventilating over every HRRR run). I do think the prospect of 2" of sleet is pretty exciting TBH

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

It is what it is. Both January 2011 and February 2014 had a warmnose/sleet line push through as well. Both immediately after the frontogenical band moved through. Both were great snow events anyways. )except Feb 2014 for Pickens bc we got screw holed on the fronto band). 

my point being if we hold on to snow until the dry slot gets close and rates decrease… who cares! We got our dumping! Especially considering it’ll be mid 20s afterward so it’s not getting washed away or anything 

Yep and the wraparound from the ULL will be approaching from a slightly better angle than with those storms, and should have a good shot of ending with a nice burst of powder I'd think.

6 minutes ago, msuwx said:

I think it's simply because most of NC isn't getting pure snow, and half the posters are from here. They checked out and are looking for the next storm.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I think north of 85 in SC is looking good for 4-8 inches of snow. My confidence level for that is pretty good all things considered. 

8-12 possible north of hwy 11 and 10-12+ in the sc mountains above 1500ft. 

Great thoughts. Im N 35 miles north hwy 11. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msuwx said:

It’s likely because a significant part of the posting population is not in the 5-6” snow/sleet zone (CNC/ENC) and will probably just have some zr if not plain cold rain and just can’t even anymore. I get it. 

• Like 1

Just now, snowmaker13 said:

This was one of the top CIPS analogs for this system: https://projects.ncsu.edu/atmos_collaboration/nwsfo/storage/cases/20100129/

I noticed when checking analogs for areas from SC back across GA/AL there are no great matches really.  All cases where the low was closed or semi closed the cold air source with the 500 low was way less...there were not expansive sub 0C 850s as there are in this case.  12/9/89 and 2/26/04 were the closest examples with 12/9/89 being closest but the 500 low was fairly open

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Euro is just an absolute crush job for north east Georgia and the northwestern upstate,sc. 

it starts ripping snow around midnight and the warm nose doesn’t move through until the dry slot arrives around 7-8am. 

I have seen that and it’s hard to believe lol. Honestly in n ga I usually expect at least a period of a mix or change to sleep or ice. I would love to top 6” 

10 minutes ago, msuwx said:

I know right. I am really getting excited now since I will admit i enjoy all types of winter precip and a big winter storm is about a day away.  Maybe everyone is resting getting ready to be up a while lol

• Like 6

I think north of 85 in SC is looking good for 4-8 inches of snow. My confidence level for that is pretty good all things considered. 

8-12 possible north of hwy 11 and 10-12+ in the sc mountains above 1500ft. 

I would love to be used at Caesar’s Head for this event. We are in TR about ten minutes south of 11 and I’m banking on at least 6”. We have a huge hill in front of our house my 4 y/o has been itching to sled down.

I always root for my friends south of 85, buddy once again, it is the battleground of the Upstate.

• Like 3

Just now, Tigerchick224 said:

I would love to be used at Caesar’s Head for this event. We are in TR about ten minutes south of 11 and I’m banking on at least 6”. emoji1694.pngWe have a huge hill in front of our house my 4 y/o has been itching to sled down.

I always root for my friends south of 85, buddy once again, it is the battleground of the Upstate.

Lol...not sure if this was worded correctly. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I noticed when checking analogs for areas from SC back across GA/AL there are no great matches really.  All cases where the low was closed or semi closed the cold air source with the 500 low was way less...there were not expansive sub 0C 850s as there are in this case.  12/9/89 and 2/26/04 were the closest examples with 12/9/89 being closest but the 500 low was fairly open

That's good! Does that mean this could be more snow than 2010? 

16 minutes ago, msuwx said:

Just the Raleigh crowd.  Mtn thread is lit!

Raleigh crowd is so sick and tired of a meaningless novelty glaze of ice to 34 degrees and miserable cold rain that they have nothing left to say about it on a weather forum. I’m just here for the rest of y’all and the fact this is still a major storm even if my backyard looks like a prison soup Sunday afternoon 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1