• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

Can't deny the trends with the Euro and GFS today away from a huge snow storm for many in NC to more ice and rain. The low is just going too far inland in NC. We need it off the coast. Really frustrating because we have the CAD and temps cold enough for a big snow storm if the low was just farther east instead of coming inland so amped up and with the killer warm nose. 

Anyone have any idea how accurate RGEM is toward the end of its runs? Looks to be a little east of the GFS position comparing. Someone with a red tag or with much more knowledge than me can maybe explain known tendencies of GFS, i.e. driving LP's into cold domes or scouring out low level cold air. 

1 minute ago, ILMRoss said:

I'd like to interrupt the pity party by noting that the 18z GEFS appears colder, stronger with the CAD, further south with our ULL, and with more separation with our northern stream "kicker" compared with the 12z GEFS. Ok, carry on. 

I saw that too but I’m still learning so didn’t want to make a idiot out of myself. I still think ensembles are the way to go at this stage 

1 minute ago, Buddy1987 said:

Anyone have any idea how accurate RGEM is toward the end of its runs? Looks to be a little east of the GFS position comparing. Someone with a red tag or with much more knowledge than me can maybe explain known tendencies of GFS, i.e. driving LP's into cold domes or scouring out low level cold air. 

I really don't use it outside of 48 hours. It's fun to look beyond, but take it with a grain of salt.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

I'd like to interrupt the pity party by noting that the 18z GEFS appears colder, stronger with the CAD, further south with our ULL, and with more separation with our northern stream "kicker" compared with the 12z GEFS. Ok, carry on. 

Yep. Important to not come and go with the deterministic runs 4+ days out.

3 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

So the ops are getting worse but the ensembles are getting better. 

gfs-ens_z500_mslp_us_fh114_trend.thumb.gif.cefea1057d60c83ab5cab1c22ba2445e.gif

I mean look at this. Our ULL? Deeper. CAD signal? More robust. CAD high? Lets strengthen that bad boy by 4 MB. Our villainous kicker SW? It's hanging back a little. Our surface low? Well, I thought that was a little more neutral but whatever. 

I'm generally sanguine (for the triangle). The GFS is concerning, but I'm dubious with how much it beefs up the ULL. It's just simply hard to get rolling bowling balls that large. I also think that the GFS, with 4 free runs that everybody sees, gets a little more "press" than the other models, which gives it a lot of influence on the vibes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This thing is sooo far out yet. I'm going to take a deep breathe and enjoy the dance over the next few days. 35yrs of watching winter weather in Rowan and Cabarrus Counties and I've seen forecasts for storms that literally never developed(yikes) to storms that developed by the minute('93). 

Keep in mind we see our biggest snowstorms from mid Feb to mid March outside the high country.  Hopefully the fun is just beginning...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, 85snowline said:

This thing is sooo far out yet. I'm going to take a deep breathe and enjoy the dance over the next few days. 35yrs of watching winter weather in Rowan and Cabarrus Counties and I've seen forecasts for storms that literally never developed(yikes) to storms that developed by the minute('93). 

Keep in mind we see our biggest snowstorms from mid Feb to mid March outside the high country.  Hopefully the fun is just beginning...

I mean yes and no. Should have a relatively decent idea imo by like 12z thursday runs as to how strong and where the trajectory of the vort takes it as it gets into range.