Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 15-16 Winter Storm

Brick Tamland

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

We are focused on snow, but even central NC would get sleet/ice with the cold surface temps (if the wedge is as strong as forecasted).  

Someone needs to look at that Jan/Feb 2008 storm I believe it was. Got lots of snow with ZR/sleet and especially heavy sleet for 30 minute to an hour at a time when rates couldn't overcome the warm air. No matter what trends say this is a big dog. 

• Like 2

Just now, burrel2 said:

5 days out and Gfs,cmc, euro all drop 10-12 inches over the upstate with temps in the low to mid 20’s throughout the event. What could go wrong? I’m nervous!

Right? I genuinely don't know how to react. Feel like I'm sitting in the bullseye but nervously waiting for the other shoe to drop.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, eyewall said:

For anyone east of the Triad, see you in the Sanitarium. This obviously isn't looking good for us right now. The screw line on the Euro is just west of US-1.

1642442400-YJJU8GaQA9U.png

1642442400-dFKIWvWaA8w.png

Still a long way to go. If the low goes a bit further east or it's not as amped, then there could be more snow and less ice for a lot more folks. 

In my opinion, a clear villain emerged from this model suite: This shortwave: 

image.thumb.png.74dc3b4c256d52d2b847e29834a20036.png

This shortwave comes in on just about every global and slingshots our ULL to the northeast, which drives it up the coast. In previous runs, this wasn't an issue because our less amped, quicker system was able to outrun this shortwave. However now that everything's slower, the circled shortwave is exerting some influence. If this shortwave wasn't here, I think the ULL would continue to take a more lateral movement through the SE, putting more southern solutions at play. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ILMRoss said:

This shortwave comes in on just about every global and slingshots our ULL to the northeast, which drives it off the coast. In previous runs, this wasn't an issue because our less amped, quicker system was able to outrun this shortwave. However now that everything's slower, the circled shortwave is exerting some influence. If this shortwave wasn't here, I think the ULL would continue to take a more lateral movement through the SE, putting more southern solutions at play. 

Yeah that looks about right.

4 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

This shortwave comes in on just about every global and slingshots our ULL to the northeast, which drives it up the coast. In previous runs, this wasn't an issue because our less amped, quicker system was able to outrun this shortwave. However now that everything's slower, the circled shortwave is exerting some influence. If this shortwave wasn't here, I think the ULL would continue to take a more lateral movement through the SE, putting more southern solutions at play. 

I agree, you can tell it's "tugging" it north on every model run.

• Like 1