Newest Member
    joxey
January 3 CAPE Storm

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would have to think though that this couldn't trend N/W all the way to gametime. Models like HRRR at its latest run have pushed back S/E a bit. What I've been keying on all along for trend watching is the h5 presentation. A lot better than it was, but even on the 6z GFS you could see a little more press & influence from the presence of the N/S. If that area were to separate further and stay flat to the north, this would continue to press and allow negative tilt on our S/S wave. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Now that h5 is closed and/or aggressive on all models, time to have fun with pin the tail on the almost certain frontogen band on the NW periphery. Models right now have it SE of the fall line. Does that ever happen with h5 passes like this? Climo has been showing up in the model trends....

Eta: another perspective is parrs/climo favored areas are still dancing  in the subsidence zone... how often does that verify?

It can happen. I only got 2.5” from the Jan 2019 storm. There was a storm in Jan 1987 that gave DC a foot and fringed up here. Jan 2010 also was like that. The orographic banding and super high ratios you described is why there will typically be that “deathband” up here. The added terrain lift along with colder temps typically causes better snow growth conditions here. I often have 20-1 ratios. But those factors won’t happen if we’re in the subsidence zone and that can happen if the storm track is far enough south. Right now the track is iffy if there will be enough mid level moisture transport into this area. One more tick north like last night and we probably would see the typical orographic effects up here but there needs to be good enough moisture to take advantage of that.   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

One would have to think though that this couldn't trend N/W all the way to gametime. Models like HRRR at its latest run have pushed back S/E a bit. What I've been keying on all along for trend watching is the h5 presentation. A lot better than it was, but even on the 6z GFS you could see a little more press & influence from the presence of the N/S. If that area were to separate further and stay flat to the north, this would continue to press and allow negative tilt on our S/S wave. 

I didn’t see that. In fact, before I looked at the surface, I thought it would have been even more nw. So I’m taking the NAM with a grain of salt. I really have no faith in the model.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ellinwood is smart AF and a really good person overall IME but God damn I usually hate the mf'er when his maps get hoisted 

This storm seems primed to bring the HoCo-MoCo deathband out of retirement.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 3

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Ellinwood is smart AF and a really good person overall IME but God damn I usually hate the mf'er when his maps get hoisted 

Same.  Same. He becomes the people in first class when i board a plane and walk past them with dagger eyes. 

But this time, he pulled through! 

• Haha 6

Just now, WxUSAF said:

This storm seems primed to being the HoCo-MoCo deathband out of retirement.

I'm at the stage in life in general to just let chips fall and be happy with whatever except a total bust but being full disclosure honest... I'm sick and f'n tired of every fookin storm starting off with a deep and soft mud base that eats snow from below. Sun and cold angle problems above and mud Pacman problems below make my snow weenie very flaccid. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm at the stage in life in general to just let chips fall and be happy with whatever except a total bust but being full disclosure honest... I'm sick and f'n tired of every fookin storm starting off with a deep and soft mud base that eats snow from below. Sun and cold angle problems above and mud Pacman problems below make my snow weenie very flaccid. 

We rarely and by rarely I mean never get concrete grass and a pile of cold smoke that’s like confectionery sugar

• Like 1

Just now, H2O said:

We rarely and by rarely I mean never get concrete grass and a pile of cold smoke that’s like confectionery sugar

Remember the early 80s? Couldn't buy a big storm and when accum snow hit, sledding was over noon unless you liked mud wrestling. Some do. Not me. I'm a purist. And I clearly live in the wrong F'n place for that. 2013-14 will prob remain my favorite winter of the 21st century until I'm creamated

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I have to agree with you about letting the chips fall. Coming from someone who moved from Baltimore to a more climo favored area like Westminster, and lived there for three years, I can honestly say I was never able to enjoy the fruits of my labor. Last winter it benefited me slightly to live there, But it was never anything drastic. There was the storm last year where Westminster got about 7 inches and Thurmont/Carroll Valley got 16 to 18. The cities had 3-4, but it was never the coastal runner that brought 4-6&mix in Baltimore and 12-15 in the NW burbs. 

Well here I am now living in Carroll Valley as of October, waiting to see if I can maximize another decent climo location.

• Like 2

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Remember the early 80s? Couldn't buy a big storm and when accum snow hit, sledding was over noon unless you liked mud wrestling. Some do. Not me. I'm a purist. And I clearly live in the wrong F'n place for that. 2013-14 will prob remain my favorite winter of the 21st century until I'm creamated

The only time you can remember a cold cold snow was in the mid 80s where it was concrete and got a 3” clipper and it was the best for sledding on those plastic ones

Prior to that I’m back in the 70s with the metal sleds with runners ruining my moms candles and needing hard pack to go 50mph down a hill

• Like 2

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic