• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62

4 minutes ago, Monmouth_County_Jacpot said:

I know its been a horrible winter but this place is dead with a strong storm signal at the end of the month 

We've had strong storm signals two weekends in a row and both failed so I don't think people are going to be too excited until multiple models agree on a storm hitting us within 96 hours. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Gonna be OTS this run but at this point all that matters is strong storm signal still there. Would be wild and also painful if NC/Virgina coast get another snowstorm. 

has been the theme this winter. I think OTS is a possible outcome compared to a cutter. lets see what the ensembles say

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

CMC develops it late for our area. I do have fairly high confidence a significant storm will happen somewhere along the east coast next weekend (just as it has the past two weekends). Just don't know where yet.  

Gefs is a good look at this range 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_30.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

Thanks for this!

It seems that Feb will be a battle between shorter wavelengths, negative EPO and RNA ++AO NAO.

Probably warmer to much warmer than average with more snow opportunities than Dec since we will not have the Negative NAO causing the meat grinder (trailing wave).

Just a hunch that March with be back to a + PNA similar to now with no blocking giving the 30 day pattern window we are in.

The lack of solid Atlantic blocking has been a big issue so far for us this winter. While we were able to score the 6-10 snow with the early January PNA rise and tail end of the brief late December -AO, the Pacific flow has been too overpowering since then. The fast northern  stream combined with +AO and been suppressing the southern stream. A solid Greenland block would have forced the stronger northern stream to buckle underneath getting us closer to the most active storm track. It’s always more of a challenge to rely exclusively on a North Pacific block without help from the Greenland -AO block. Hopefully, we can put together a nice snow event near the end of January and start of February just on the lingering +PNA and -EPO.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

We've had strong storm signals two weekends in a row and both failed so I don't think people are going to be too excited until multiple models agree on a storm hitting us within 96 hours. 

Yes, sit we have been burnt and are now rightfully so gun-shy . A week away ? The models can not even latch onto things a day before 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Gefs is a good look at this range 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_30.png

you have been saying this storm after storm since November - look at other guidance and you will see how unfavorable the pattern really is - fast flow - no phasing - suppression all combined....

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Simon Lee has a great tweet illustrating the differences so far between this year and last.

Yea, nothing supports a SSWE right now. We are literally a 180 degree opposite of last winter when we had that major SSW occur. The SPV looks like it will be extremely strong and coupled come early - mid February. And the models are actually getting more aggressive with the -PNA and +AO/+NAO

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yea, nothing supports a SSWE right now. We are literally a 180 degree opposite of last winter when we had that major SSW occur. The SPV looks like it will be extremely strong and coupled come early - mid February. And the models are actually getting more aggressive with the -PNA and +AO/+NAO

Yup PNA on a 30 day flip pattern.

Therefore no reason to think we don't flip back to positive PNA March 1st. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

you have been saying this storm after storm since November - look at other guidance and you will see how unfavorable the pattern really is - fast flow - no phasing - suppression all combined....

I'm just stating what the gefs show. I haven't said anything so don't put words in my mouth. I'm tracking this along with others. You don't have to track it if you don't want to.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yup PNA on a 30 day flip pattern.

Therefore no reason to think we don't flip back to positive PNA March 1st. 

Please. The PNA doesnt know the Gregorian Calendar.

Some of these posts are getting ridiculous

Too many posters writing off the entire month of February on 1/20 like its Gospel. 

Meanwhile, going all in for 2-4 last week with a frontal passage when it was 48F outside.

Let’s all breathe a bit. 

Soon, we can talk about Sun Angel!!

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Just now, the_other_guy said:

Please. The PNA doesnt know the Gregorian Calendar.

Some of these posts are getting ridiculous

Too many posters writing off the entire month of February on 1/20 like its Gospel. 

Meanwhile, going all in for 2-4 last week with a frontal passage when it was 48F outside.

Let’s all breathe a bit. 

Soon, we can talk about Sun Angel!!

Learn how to spell before you criticize others.

• Weenie 1

17z/22 WPC D7... no 30% and the 12z ops also say, not likely right now for next weekend so not threading.  Actually happy no 12z op has gone ballistic. Gives a chance of working nwwd.  Have not viewed 12z/ensembles but will try and review everything tomorrow morning. I like the idea of only once/day close looks at D4+..allows the vaccinations to smooth out a bit. 

Hoping tomorrow mornings models hold onto a bit of snow late Sun or late Mon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Euro is east, but better at H5 than 00z was. This is closer to a really good solution than 00z. I actually prefer this look at this time because it leaves a little room incase it comes in more amplified in the future. Which we see often. 

ecmwf_vort_500_conus_162.thumb.png.20e1669e8f977d8c2687506f2534933f.png

The lack of high latitude blocking is going to make this hard to pull off. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The lack of high latitude blocking is going to make this hard to pull off. 

Well yeah, never claimed it would be easy. Personally, I feel like there's absolutely no situation where these things are easy. Even in a perfect setup. There's always something to worry about. It's either no blocking, or a kicker, or something else. Is it a needle threader, sure I guess. But I hate that term because I think they all are anyway. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Well yeah, never claimed it would be easy. Personally, I feel like there's absolutely no situation where these things are easy. Even in a perfect setup. There's always something to worry about. It's either no blocking, or a kicker, or something else. Is it a needle threader, sure I guess. But I hate that term because I think they all are anyway. 

Exactly, nobody realistically thinks the odds are in favor of a major storm hitting that's shown on the models 7+ days in advance, but if it's there it's worth having on the radar and discussing a bit. This is a winter weather thread after all. 

• Like 4