• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

The next 8 days are averaging 30degs.(25/34) or -3>>>-5 nowadays.     Highest T is 37 for next 16 days.

Reached 36 yesterday(midnite) and 34 during the day.

Today:  30-32, wind w., m. clear.

22*(57%RH) here at 6am.      30* at 2pm.

Next snow's: Small chance a period of snow around Thursday the 13th. Bigger chance sometime between 15th-17th.  

Am pretty sure (60%) there will be snow sometime between the 15th-17th, even LI, but are amounts less than 2" or do we find ourselves with another decent 2+ event. Modeling has not been excited about anything the past couple of days, I think in part because of how Thursday resolves, especially with it's potential interference developing low pressure off New England. Just need to wait it out 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Next snow's: Small chance a period of snow around Thursday the 13th. Bigger chance sometime between 15th-17th.  

Am pretty sure (60%) there will be snow sometime between the 15th-17th, even LI, but are amounts less than 2" or do we find ourselves with another decent 2+ event. Modeling has not been excited about anything the past couple of days, I think in part because of how Thursday resolves, especially with it's potential interference developing low pressure off New England. Just need to wait it out 

Very active pattern ahead 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Very active pattern ahead 

Opportunities...which if any will produce more than an inch of snow or .02 ice? I do think the northeast USA should be happy with the +NAO -PNA producing what it has so far... not too shabby.  Indicies good for patterns but part of this is timing. 

• Like 2

Morning thoughts…

It will be mostly sunny and cold today. High temperatures will likely reach mainly the lower 30s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 30°

Newark: 32°

Philadelphia: 32°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 39.6°; 15-Year: 40.6°

Newark: 30-Year: 40.1°; 15-Year: 41.3°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 41.5°; 15-Year: 42.3°

Some light rain and ice is possible tomorrow.  An Arctic shot lies ahead for early next week.

• Like 1

Models will probably struggle more than usual with storm details beyond 3-5 days. We are currently getting a Nino-like SOI drop. So a shift from a split flow to a dominant STJ pattern. This type of jet stream shift can introduce plenty of long range model volatility. 

SOI

8 Jan 2022 1008.45 1008.65 -22.65 9.56 9.77
7 Jan 2022 1011.09 1008.10 -7.63 10.53 9.97

Current split flow pattern

0DA116B0-1E6E-4240-8898-292EED5F7F9A.thumb.png.a179a1cd9d1fedddc2c89c4ebdafcb75.png

Transition to more Nino-like dominant STJ pattern 

1AA9E586-C6EF-42BA-A844-9C08822054EE.thumb.png.a1e8d8e440f3b138e267a1f5102f0f53.png

1F79C6C8-4C48-4292-BE8F-159699A16403.thumb.png.ad350c9208b8b48bd62c859daba4eb36.png

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

@bluewave when is the next storm threat? I’m bored already 

Enjoy what you have.

Jan 15-25th will be the next stormy period. The Nino look to the pattern is intriguing to say the least. 

And if it lasts then Feb could be more interesting than expected too.

It does makes sense that the strong east based Nina is acting like a Nino.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Enjoy what you have.

Jan 15-25th will be the next stormy period. The Nino look to the pattern is intriguing to say the least. 

And if it lasts then Feb could be more interesting than expected too.

How much did you get yesterday? Rutgers got 4.7 but reported a snow depth of 5

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

I wouldn't rule out something day 8-9 yet. Eps are Miller B ish looking. Don't think anything is going to stick out much from longer range right now. Just need to pay attention. 

I know they are the Teles, however they do show the PNA dropping as well as the NAO.

I know this combo failed in December, however I still think if the RNA was not record setting, with the Negative NAO we would have scored fairly often. Negative NAO PNA combo usually provides us with overrunning events.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

I know they are the Teles, however they do show the PNA dropping as well as the NAO.

I know this combo failed in December, however I still think if the RNA was not record setting, with the Negative NAO we would have scored fairly often. Negative NAO PNA combo usually provides us with overrunning events.

This is a good example of why you can't just look at those numbers and try to draw too many conclusions. If you look at the big picture, this is a far far different situation shaping up. 

832258691_gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_61(1).thumb.png.91308d0cb9e5831b0fbd7f1cec4f6519.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

This is a good example of why you can't just look at those numbers and try to draw too many conclusions. If you look at the big picture, this is a far far different situation shaping up. 

832258691_gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_61(1).thumb.png.91308d0cb9e5831b0fbd7f1cec4f6519.png

Way different than what happened in December. 

No GOA trough

Beautiful PNA ridge 

Nice trough in the east 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

Shifting the Aleutian ridge further east and expanding it north makes a huge difference. 

PNA looks neutral here which is good enough given -EPO and neutral to negative NAO/AO. 

It also helps we're in the coldest month of the year. We could score even in a marginal event. 

• Like 5

Atlantic City is already approaching its snowiest January on record and it’s only the 8th of the month. This much snow in the past has occurred under El Niño and ENSO neutral patterns. So it goes to show the more Nino-like aspects we are seeing this month. 

Time Series Summary for Atlantic City Area, NJ (ThreadEx) - Month of Jan
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Year
Total Snowfall 
ENSO
1 1987 20.3 El Niño 
2 2014 18.8 neutral 
3 2022 17.2 La Niña
4 2016 16.7 Super El Niño
5 1961 15.9 neutral 
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Atlantic City is already approaching its snowiest January on record and it’s only the 8th of the month. This much snow in the past has occurred under El Niño and ENSO neutral patterns. So it goes to show the more Nino-like aspects we are seeing this month. 

Rank
Year
Total Snowfall 
ENSO
1 1987 20.3 El Niño 
2 2014 18.8 neutral 
3 2022 17.2 La Niña
5 1961 15.9 neutral 

They are going to surpass number 1

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Rank
Year
Total Snowfall 
ENSO
1 1987 20.3 El Niño 
2 2014 18.8 neutral 
3 2022 17.2 La Niña
5 1961 15.9 neutral 

Not sure that tells anything about enso given you have two ninos two neutral and now a Nina 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

I can’t stress enough this pattern we’re entering has powder keg potential. The GEFS and EPS are textbook for a HECS to occur. Of course just because a pattern is ripe doesn’t mean it will produce. In the end I will be shocked if we don’t have the pattern give us at least an area wide MECS before the month comes to a close.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Not sure that tells anything about enso given you have two ninos two neutral and now a Nina 

It’s telling us that the pattern has features resembling an El Niño even though it’s a La Niña winter.

From the CPC:

Dynamical model 500-hPa height anomaly forecasts depict a shifted pattern than what has been observed during the early Boreal winter period, indicating at least a temporary departure from the canonical La Nina response.

• Like 4

Thursday looks mildly interesting for a longshot event. Kind of a retrograding coastal scenario. Nice high amplitude trof but too far southeast for a change! I guess there's still time for that to evolve differently, but that seems unlikely based on ensembles.

That trof looks like it affects the followup trof, which looks like the better precipitation threat for next weekend. I like the amplitude and orientation of the jet through the next 10 days. Storms that develop also probably won't be speeding along as fast as the last one. Now we wait for a favorable buckle. I would be thrilled with a series of minor snow events while we look forward to a big one in a pattern where it is possible. We could also come up completely empty if nothing breaks right. There are no slam dunks for NYC snow lovers.

• Like 6