Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2021

George BM

10 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

anecdotally, relying on my faulty institutional memory, the greatest frustrations of bemoaning of lack of quality posts in the long range threads has coincided over the years when we are reduced to chasing pattern changes...

I haven't followed closely lately, work is crazy this time of year. But was surprised to see so many posts about the lack of quality posters in the LR thread. 

If you can wade through those that aren't great, there is still good posts to read. I don't get it. People come and go and it is what it is. 

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

I haven't followed closely lately, work is crazy this time of year. But was surprised to see so many posts about the lack of quality posters in the LR thread. 

If you can wade through those that aren't great, there is still good posts to read. I don't get it. People come and go and it is what it is. 

Yeah, I have not seen too much different that is bad. Like I said, I think folks go stir crazy when we are in pattern chase mode and CAPE and PSU and WxUSAF can do only so much hand holding and noting that patience will be required. And then someone wanders in on purpose or otherwise to cause trouble and troll with a random tweet or a control run out of context and the discourse about the discourse starts all over again. Ian or Matt or Bob or any of the other long-timers who are more absent now - none of them would have different to say than our stalwarts who are still here have. Everyone else needs to chill and hope that we still have snow chances at some point. Or make plans to chase...

Starting to think that during "pattern chase" times, it might be better to step away from here. Looking at pattern prognostications every day when the immediate 1-2 weeks has nothing going on can be bad for the snow-loving brain...

Heh...I know we got the panic room, but I've been saying for awhile that we oughta have a thread to talk about literal coping mechanisms. When it's going bad, some (including me) don't always handle it well. Winters would be happier if it didn't depend so much on snow.

Ya could learn how to be content in snow or out of snow...and enjoy the snow when it comes...but that there is the hard part. Some on here have figured out the secret...but I know I'm still working on it...(obviously).

1 hour ago, George BM said:

If you squint closely enough you can see the sun's path slowly starting to creep higher in the sky. :P

I'm fine with it TBH.  Might as well count days until spring if we are to endure another dumpster fire winter.  Legit cold and dry and whenever a system approaches p-type is always liquid.  Yuck.  The new normal.  I guess it could be worse (it can ALWAYS be worse!) as in worrying about what they have in other places such as wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, nuclear disasters, et al. ;)

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Not even close. We're 8-6 despite everything...that alone says a lot

Lol. You might be 10-4 we’re it not for two decisions that I call dumb. Not mildly dumb. 100% dumb. You have a good team, maybe the best kicker in history yet you decide “hey, let’s roll the dice and gamble the whole game in one play”. Dumb. He can try and justify it any way he wants … but in reality he can’t. It’s ego.

8 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Lol. You might be 10-4 we’re it not for two decisions that I call dumb. Not mildly dumb. 100% dumb. You have a good team, maybe the best kicker in history yet you decide “hey, let’s roll the dice and gamble the whole game in one play”. Dumb. He can try and justify it any way he wants … but in reality he can’t. It’s ego.

Unfair assessment. Literally on the sideline with the players talking to them about it...that's not ego. Harbs is the opposite of ego--which is one of the many reasons why the players love him. Now if you accuse him of anything it's not trusting the secondary against Ben or Rodgers. No guarantee you get the ball back on the coin toss. You think the stoppin' Rodgers again? 

I think against the Steelers it was about not having Humphrey--I don't think we stop Ben in OT. Second time was a hit questionable...but I question the play design more than the decision to go for 2.

8 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

On the bright side for next winter. Without an Aleutian low this winter we are much more likely to get a nino next year. I am not tossing this winter yet. But the Pac is ugly. And I am not seeing how that is going to break down anytime soon. 

https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/clim/33/8/jcli-d-19-0717.1.xml

Time to start Winter 2022-2023 thread?

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Just a head’s up if anyone wants to set the DVR, but “A Year Without a Santa Claus” (aka heat and cold miser) is on at 6:45 this evening on AMC.

:santa:

Cold miser is clearly broken.  I'm complaining to the Meister of Johnson Controls.  Maybe the dryers are not working and there's a collapsed bellows somewhere. ;)

4 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Unfair assessment. Literally on the sideline with the players talking to them about it...that's not ego. Harbs is the opposite of ego--which is one of the many reasons why the players love him. Now if you accuse him of anything it's not trusting the secondary against Ben or Rodgers. No guarantee you get the ball back on the coin toss. You think the stoppin' Rodgers again? 

I think against the Steelers it was about not having Humphrey--I don't think we stop Ben in OT. Second time was a hit questionable...but I question the play design more than the decision to go for 2.

You’re making the assumption that both teams win the toss AND score a touchdown. And the Rodgers point is flawed because even if the Ravens convert the two point Rodgers STILL gets the ball back with that same amount of time. Going for two had nothing to do with how much time he was going to have. You still lose to a fg, if that was your fear, regardless of whether you are tied or up 1.

As long as I a) live here and b) continue loving snow, I’ve accepted that I’ll need to travel to get my winter fix. I spent the weekend in Vermont and enjoyed a perfect 8-9” snowfall on Saturday. I’m good for the rest of the month, but already looking at flights again for next month. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, snowfan said:

As long as I a) live here and b) continue loving snow, I’ve accepted that I’ll need to travel to get my winter fix. I spent the weekend in Vermont and enjoyed a perfect 8-9” snowfall on Saturday. I’m good for the rest of the month, but already looking at flights again for next month. 

This is one of the reasons we bought the house at Deep Creek. 110” average although they are off to an atrocious start to winter with (probably) less than 10” so far.  

it’s important living here to travel to get the snow fix. otherwise it’s just staring at the GEFS waiting for the pacific to stop sucking. 

glad you had a good time!

• Like 1

Just now, nj2va said:

This is one of the reasons we bought the house at Deep Creek. 110” average although they are off to an atrocious start to winter with (probably) less than 10” so far.  

it’s important living here to travel to get the snow fox. otherwise it’s just staring at the GEFS waiting for the pacific to stop sucking. 

glad you had a good time!

Ha :) yes, there's only so much long range tracking i can take.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Heh...I know we got the panic room, but I've been saying for awhile that we oughta have a thread to talk about literal coping mechanisms. When it's going bad, some (including me) don't always handle it well. Winters would be happier if it didn't depend so much on snow.

Sadly, the venerable Reaper, @WxWatcher007, has retired and the Panic Room is no more. A relic of history.  A savior of despairing snow weenie souls from a bygone era...:lol:

5yqe8r.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Sadly, the venerable Reaper, @WxWatcher007, has retired and the Panic Room is no more. A relic of history.  A savior of despairing snow weenie souls from a bygone era...:lol:

5yqe8r.jpg

Yeah the reaper iconography always kept me out of that thread...lol

But honestly what good did the thread do, though? Certainly didn't help anybody process anything. We're like...facing the loss of something here. The snowstorms we used to be able to track occasionally. It's a change...and accepting a new reality.

I'm mad at the weather, really. It doesn't owe me a thing, but I'm still mad at it, lol At one time it gave some joy during the winter...but now it's just depression. I take no pleasure in warm winter days nor in cold rain. We have 9-10 other months of the year for that. But now we're forced to accept we cannot get bigger snow anymore (or at least not as often--if you can call our previous 3-4 above average winters a decade often, lol)

It will be not that much different than Southern VA or NC, imo.

But this is the new reality we MIGHT be facing...and I for one am having a hard time accepting it and not being ticked off about it whenever I think about it. It literally ruins the mood sometimes, smh

16 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yeah, I have not seen too much different that is bad. Like I said, I think folks go stir crazy when we are in pattern chase mode and CAPE and PSU and WxUSAF can do only so much hand holding and noting that patience will be required. And then someone wanders in on purpose or otherwise to cause trouble and troll with a random tweet or a control run out of context and the discourse about the discourse starts all over again. Ian or Matt or Bob or any of the other long-timers who are more absent now - none of them would have different to say than our stalwarts who are still here have. Everyone else needs to chill and hope that we still have snow chances at some point. Or make plans to chase...

Patience will be rewarded in the Mid Atlantic. The Vodka Cold and deep snows will arrive!

8 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Yeah the reaper iconography always kept me out of that thread...lol

But honestly what good did the thread do, though? Certainly didn't help anybody process anything. We're like...facing the loss of something here. The snowstorms we used to be able to track occasionally. It's a change...and accepting a new reality.

I'm mad at the weather, really. It doesn't owe me a thing, but I'm still mad at it, lol At one time it gave some joy during the winter...but now it's just depression. I take no pleasure in warm winter days nor in cold rain. We have 9-10 other months of the year for that. But now we're forced to accept we cannot get bigger snow anymore (or at least not as often--if you can call our previous 3-4 above average winters a decade often, lol)

It will be not that much different than Southern VA or NC, imo.

But this is the new reality we MIGHT be facing...and I for one am having a hard time accepting it and not being ticked off about it whenever I think about it. It literally ruins the mood sometimes, smh

I know where you're coming from concerning the frustration.  But my post was really only meant to add levity and some humor (since you mentioned the Panic Room).  What good did that thread do?  Who knows...I just found it amusing to laugh at my own and other's despair/frustration when there was a lack of snow or an otherwise sh*tty winter.  I'm sure most everyone who posted in there had the same idea.  Does that change anything?  Of course not!  But screw it, I like to keep a sense of humor regardless and I have a lot more concerns than whether it will be 60 degrees on Christmas.

We obviously have no control over any of this except how we deal with it personally.  Though to be sure, that doesn't necessarily make it any easier.  If it's going to be a warm (and relatively snowless) winter,  it would at least be nice to get rid of all the remaining gnats/mosquitos that I still see flying around here!

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic