Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

So...Euro is near 90 in Dallas on Christmas. W.T.F.

You know this is impossible to know without the model super computers doing a reanalysis model run technique - say,  but I wonder just intuitively, about climate relativity

Suppose if we took this exact hemisphere, and transported it back in time to 1950 ... 1980 ...2010 and today, do these respective eras 'do that' in Dallas on December 24?

Course, we are talking about model for Dec 24 - it hasn't happened yet. ...  But even if stops short in the 80s down there, that's probably what ?  + 2 or even 3 SD ?? 

So the implicit question here is - of course - related to climate change. 

What makes this complicated, is...  climate change may be more influential to the circulation anomaly, than it is to the thermal state of December 24 in Dallas.  Like... it could be 90 in Dallas on December 24 1950, but the climate of the hemispheric circulation eddy would less likely promote that oddity from realization.  So the difference in favorability, vs a warmer atmosphere - there's a subtle distinction there, but either way, it would be interesting to see if the super computers spit out 90 in Dallas 1950s given the same inputs.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Should be a fun Christmas dinner in the Wood household with bare ground and his daughter bringing home the boyfriend with two holes cut in the bottom of his ears.

I'm glad my kids aren't around for the holidays..they would surely learn that there is no Santa at the tender ages of 2 and 8 months, respectively.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It seems taboo but I have this weird fascination with spending one Christmas of my life in a hot, tropical place with palm trees.  That’s not DFW but sort of reminded me with the temperatures.  Just to see how that climo part of the world experiences Xmas.  Air conditioning while opening packages must be a trip.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not Christmas, but I've been to the USVIs and in SW FL right after Christmas. Kind of cool seeing palm trees all lit up with Christmas lights. I wouldn't mind opening gifts and going to a beach bar to rip back a few pain killers. :lol: 

Flew to Puerto Rico on Christmas Day a few years back, and did my semester in Hawaii starting just after New Year's Day. Palm tress and Christmas lights go great together. Heavy, heavy rum drinks.

• Like 5

It seems taboo but I have this weird fascination with spending one Christmas of my life in a hot, tropical place with palm trees.  That’s not DFW but sort of reminded me with the temperatures.  Just to see how that climo part of the world experiences Xmas.  Air conditioning while opening packages must be a trip.
Heading to key West with the family mid-morning Christmas Day through New Year's Day. It's much easier to do that stuff once the kids are older and don't really care about presents as much
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Flew to Puerto Rico on Christmas Day a few years back, and did my semester in Hawaii starting just after New Year's Day. Palm tress and Christmas lights go great together. Heavy, heavy rum drinks.

Should spend xmas by myself in the Sierra Nevada this year lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Kevin had his on last Christmas 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I am talking 3-5 days out....in general models have improved, but they are struggling with this pattern.

I don't ever remember models being this good 3-5 days out. The situation we have is more models and more model runs than ever before. That creates an enhanced impression of inter- and intra-model discontinuity. People are also hyper focused on their local region, particularly the surface features. I think that leads to unreasonable expectations with respect to model accuracy and continuity.

Yes weather models perform worse during active periods in the mid-latitudes. But even this year, we've rarely seen the large 5-day model errors that we saw 10 years ago - even 5.

1 minute ago, eduggs said:

I don't ever remember models being this good 3-5 days out. The situation we have is more models and more model runs than ever before. That creates an enhanced impression of inter- and intra-model discontinuity. People are also hyper focused on their local region, particularly the surface features. I think that leads to unreasonable expectations with respect to model accuracy and continuity.

Yes weather models perform worse during active periods in the mid-latitudes. But even this year, we've rarely seen the large 5-day model errors that we saw 10 years ago - even 5.

In general you are correct, but not in this pattern, this week....all I am saying.