Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We don’t need -15 departures. How about some precip to start lol. 

I’ll take 31-33 everyday if it would snow. I don’t need cold . But with all of us in SNE at like 2-5” to date, well that’s as bad as it gets. With only about 45-50 days left of what I consider winter.. to say we face an uphill battle in what looks to be either a neutral to unfavorable snow pattern .. it certainly doesn’t warm the cockles of my heart.  Still time 

42 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

don't think I can handle the same forecast every day of the year, and from what I've looked into winter lasts about 6 hours there, one good thing is the growing season is longer, so there's that, me being the only one of my family who actually enjoys deep winter, will take some adjustments, but getting away from the northeast for other reasons outweigh the weather aspect... plus, there's other weather events there and visits are always going to happen... anyway wishes for a white christmas, seems a while since one, fresh one anyway.

Actually Nrn Georgia has different seasons. It’s often chilly in the winter. Sometimes even downright cold. And thunderstorms there are killer I hear!

San Diego on the other hand, that’s the same damn forecast most of the year with a sporadic winter rain shower here or there. Stay away from San Diego unless you want to Weatherdie. 

i haven’t lived in either place but I have lived in Los Angeles, which is only 5% less boring than San Diego, but my wx obsession over the years lends me to know a lot about climates in places I haven’t lived before.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ll take 31-33 everyday if it would snow. I don’t need cold . But with all of us in SNE at like 2-5” to date, well that’s as bad as it gets. With only about 45-50 days left of what I consider winter.. to say we face an uphill battle in what looks to be either a neutral to unfavorable snow pattern .. it certainly doesn’t warm the cockles of my heart.  Still time 

I welcome March before December. Typically easier for snow.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

You average more in March.

I realize that . But I’ve been over this many times. It’s a totally different feeling. How awesome would it be tonight on Dec 21.. 4 days before Xmas to look out at a snowpack . Short days, low sun angle.. holiday spirit .. egg nog and rum in toilets instead of water during flushing .. Morch snows yes .. but it’s just a completely different vibe and feel with warm sun angles, increasing daylight, baseball starting and Truly and White Claws flushing in the toilet 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I realize that . But I’ve been over this many times. It’s a totally different feeling. How awesome would it be tonight on Dec 21.. 4 days before Xmas to look out at a snowpack . Short days, low sun angle.. holiday spirit .. egg nog and rum in toilets instead of water during flushing .. Morch snows yes .. but it’s just a completely different vibe and feel with warm sun angles, increasing daylight, baseball starting and Truly and White Claws flushing in the toilet 

100% agree

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I get it. I do.  But I’m not bent out of shape of December isn’t that good. 

I'd be real curious to see how snow-climo has changed dating back to when records began at each climo station. Like I wonder if in the earlier years you either had

(And talking about DJFM)

1) a more even month-to-month distribution of snow climo 

2) greater DJ totals 

I wonder if the changing state of climate has impacted in this regard. It's pretty interesting how we seem to fare better in the transition from a hemispheric state of cold season to warm season than we do in the transition from warm season to cold season. Maybe b/c (especially now in the times of a warmer climate) the degree of warmth deeper into the fall and early winter season is just so much greater now and we're still "flushing that out" going through early winter. 

A good wintry period in December blows away March. I agree with Kevin 100%. My epic Decembers have little melting and the snow keeps that fresh, festive look all month. March has some impressive storms, but there’s a lot of melting in between and the sun angle rips holes through the pack with any spec of dirt it shines on. The day after a March biggie the pack starts taking on that trashy E MA look. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I'd be real curious to see how snow-climo has changed dating back to when records began at each climo station. Like I wonder if in the earlier years you either had

(And talking about DJFM)

1) a more even month-to-month distribution of snow climo 

2) greater DJ totals 

I wonder if the changing state of climate has impacted in this regard. It's pretty interesting how we seem to fare better in the transition from a hemispheric state of cold season to warm season than we do in the transition from warm season to cold season. Maybe b/c (especially now in the times of a warmer climate) the degree of warmth deeper into the fall and early winter season is just so much greater now and we're still "flushing that out" going through early winter. 

Tip has posted about this before and you're right..snowfall is shifting later.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Actually Nrn Georgia has different seasons. It’s often chilly in the winter. Sometimes even downright cold. And thunderstorms there are killer I hear!

San Diego on the other hand, that’s the same damn forecast most of the year with a sporadic winter rain shower here or there. Stay away from San Diego unless you want to Weatherdie. 

i haven’t lived in either place but I have lived in Los Angeles, which is only 5% less boring than San Diego, but my wx obsession over the years lends me to know a lot about climates in places I haven’t lived before.

yeah, San Diego was what I was referring to as same daily forecast, but I've been keeping my eyes on the weather in the areas I've been looking to plant flag, and it's been as low as cold as mid 30s, and that I was told is about as cold as it gets, minus the occasional freak artic blast to the gulf, but, next week will tickle 70, so I'm sure you can probably grow palm there if protected when it does get that cold... I'm looking forward to severe season for sure though there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I get it. I do.  But I’m not bent out of shape of December isn’t that good. 

I’m sure it’s just me and my mindset partially to blame. I just despise losing December.. which for all intents and purposes we have . Still holding out some positivity for late month and beyond 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

A good wintry period in December blows away March. I agree with Kevin 100%. My epic Decembers have little melting and the snow keeps that fresh, festive look all month. March has some impressive storms, but there’s a lot of melting in between and the sun angle rips holes through the pack with any spec of dirt it shines on. The day after a March biggie the pack starts taking on that trashy E MA look. 

Yea...two different things, though...this is why snow is more preferable in December. But the actual snowfall itself is better in March, unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Man I wish we lived there now . Not in Napril.. but now .. yes to cocks !

• Haha 1