Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah we're like being saved by the -NAO right now and these sfc high's sliding across SE Canada. But we are really walking a fine line over the next few weeks...which pretty much defines the gradient pattern that's been discussed but we could just as easily end up on the wrong side. 

Not unless the blocking subsides.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

wasn't there a local upslope event a few winters back...maybe 2017-2018? Parts of NE CT ended up with like 7-8'' and literally nothing was forecast (in terms of accumulations). 

There was a pretty cool standing wave event… I definitely remember that.  A taste of the Green Mtns when grass was showing in one place but 4 miles away 5-8” fell.  I remember Coventry posters with pics.  Tolland too right?  It was it just downwind of the hills?  Maybe those are two different ones.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not unless the blocking subsides.

Which doesn't seem to be the case. There may be some brief periods where the blocking relaxes a bit when is when we may sneak in a day or two of some above-average temps (just hope it's not at the expense of a cutter :lol: ) 

but I actually like the blocking signal moving forward in the essence of the pattern. You don't want a stout block b/c then we may have suppression issues but if we get a strong enough block to shunt the gradient south a bit we should be good. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

There was a pretty cool standing wave event… I definitely remember that.  A taste of the Green Mtns when grass was showing in one place but 4 miles away 5-8” fell.  I remember Coventry posters with pics.  Tolland too right?  It was it just downwind of the hills?  Maybe those are two different ones.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

March 2019. It was forecasted actually, but it was a unique mesoscale event. 

hmmm I thought there was another one. 

I remember one occurring while I was still in school. 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yes. That was some type of upslope deal that skipped NW CT hills and most of ORH somehow which I never quite understood. Models kept pegging this area for days. I ended up with 7-8”. It was very mesoscale. I mean you went 2-3 miles in any direction and less elevation and you quickly went to little or no snow. I have never seen something like that here to that degree in all the years here . The cool thing was it was actually falling over the valley as echoes showed the snow there, but it was deposited in the NE CT hills while the valley literally had nothing 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Little inflow there gets going....maybe we can have a sneaky little critter. Would be fun to get an over achiever finally.

NAM sort of shows this (not sure if real), but I guess the weenie in me sort of hopes for that light erly flow at like 925-850 where it's still cold with cold N winds at the surface to keep the weenie flakes going. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

NAM sort of shows this (not sure if real), but I guess the weenie in me sort of hopes for that light erly flow at like 925-850 where it's still cold with cold N winds at the surface to keep the weenie flakes going. 

Yeah it's definitely slow to shut off over your area out east. Getting the sfc low going helps tuck in that colder sfc air....never makes it above freezing in many spots.