Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,987
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Dankles
    Newest Member
    Dankles
    Joined

October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow


40/70 Benchmark
 Share

Recommended Posts

The craziest thing about this time of year is it can range from practically summer even at the summits… to other years you need snowmobiles to get around on the hill.  I think it was 2006 the stake had 30” of settled depth in October with people skiing glades and employees ripping around on snowmobiles like it was December.

Of course that 30” in 2006 melted and it didn’t snow again until MLK Weekend and Valentines Day 2007.

Edit: Or was it 2005?  What year was Hurricane Wilma?  Something associated with Wilma dropped feet of snow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The craziest thing about this time of year is it can range from practically summer even at the summits… to other years you need snowmobiles to get around on the hill.  I think it was 2006 the stake had 30” of settled depth in October with people skiing glades and employees ripping around on snowmobiles like it was December.

Of course that 30” in 2006 melted and it didn’t snow again until MLK Weekend and Valentines Day 2007.

Edit: Or was it 2005?  What year was Hurricane Wilma?  Something associated with Wilma dropped feet of snow.

06-07 had record warmth Nov-Dec (obliterated 9 years later) and the 1st two weeks of Jan.  Had 11' snow thru 1/13 and 84" afterward.

05-06 had some early snow, including a birch bender at elevation in late October and the T'Day modest snowstorm than included EF-0 and EF-1 spinners at midcoast Maine.  Our biggest event that season came in early December and snofall was about average thru Jan, though with terrible retention - 1/06 is my mildest January.  Then 7.8" Feb 1 on - avg for that period is 44".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Is it ever going to frost/ freeze this year? I mean nothing north to south thru Helloween even on Ginx charts 

Ryan's 10 day looks like next weekend will be the first legit shot at it. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the hill towns had frost Monday night though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Ryan's 10 day looks like next weekend will be the first legit shot at it. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the hill towns had frost Monday night though.

I didn’t see it . Was at the girls HS game vs Lewis Mills. What did he have? 
 

Monday night seems more like a valley deal .  Like Maple Hollow, IJD etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I didn’t see it . Was at the girls HS game vs Lewis Mills. What did he have? 
 

Monday night seems more like a valley deal .  Like Maple Hollow, IJD etc

Next Sat-Sun-Mon he has 44/56, 39/56, and 37/57. 37 at BDL will be a freeze in the better radiating spots NW/NE, and a frost across a lot of the interior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Next Sat-Sun-Mon he has 44/56, 39/56, and 37/57. 37 at BDL will be a freeze in the better radiating spots NW/NE, and a frost across a lot of the interior.

Is that Day 7-10?  That cold shot on GFS and GGEM was pretty impressive.

This would be one helluva wake up call after the warmth this month.  Frigid cold pool, even a 522dm contour in S.NH.

0F7FC9B0-C648-4E13-9942-40C0C70CB1BC.thumb.png.cfa9d70a954f89679533584bf38e71d0.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, moneypitmike said:

10 days away.  What could possible go wrong.

:)

Ha yeah not verbatim but all models have a shift from what’s happened the rest of this month.  Looks like first one early this week then a reload late week/next weekend.

At some point it will get cold, at least transiently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It’s not needed now, it has been needed the past few summers it seems more than ever though.

Agree. And while not "needed", I ran it yesterday to dry up the house. I hate humidity and it was getting rather sticky. A few minutes and it's way more comfortable. I have central air with heat pumps, it's incredibly efficient, don't need to install/uninstall, and it works very well for heating down into the mid teens. Highly recommend no matter where you live 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...