Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Discussion: Bring the Frost-Hold the Snow

40/70 Benchmark

On 10/5/2021 at 3:16 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Only if you go by percentage. Standard deviation takes care of this problem.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:38 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it would be more useful if the community embraced standard devs. Like “this looks like roughly a 1 sigma above normal snowfall winter for BOS to BTV”....one sigma for BOS is prob like 150% of normal while in Stowe it might be 115%. 

On 10/5/2021 at 5:06 PM, powderfreak said:

Then again that doesn’t necessarily flow off the tongue in a WxBell or other vendor seasonal forecast for the public.. “what’s a sigma?  Is that a blizzard?”

I do think based on what I remember from JSpin that percentage is about right for the higher snowfall zones per SD.  And 1 below being like 85%.

I suspect that ± 15% you’re mentioning is probably in the range of what 1 σ is for our area.  Unfortunately, that highly anomalous 2015-2016 season, with its -2.38 σ deviation in snowfall still throws quite a wrench into a relatively small data set of just 15 seasons.  So 1 σ is at 22.5% in the data set currently, but it keeps being whittled away by ~1% per year as the more “typical” seasons stack up.  It was actually up in the 26-27% range after that season first hit.  If that anomalous season is omitted, 1 σ is at 16.9% for the data set.

Assuming that lower variance is closer to reality, the blockbuster-style years of 200”+ of snowfall are going to be relatively infrequent (only about once a decade or so), but ~70% of seasons at our site should be in the 135” – 190” range.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Ah, peak leaf color and beautiful weather in the north country means getting tailgated by a dude in a minivan with NY plates angrily weaving behind and then passing me as I go 10 over the speed limit.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Sounds about right. 

My (future) wife :lol:  :axe: 

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

My (future) wife :lol:  :axe: 

Good evening WxW007. I know that the Reaper is busy sharpening the scythe and the Sweeper is still on guard with the broom but now, thanks to the observation and experience of Phineas C, we now have the ‘Beeper’. As always ……

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening WxW007. I know that the Reaper is busy sharpening the scythe and the Sweeper is still on guard with the broom but now, thanks to the observation and experience of Phineas C, we now have the ‘Beeper’. As always ……

It’s insane. I feel like I’m drag racing every time I drive with her. All this time together and she hasn’t changed a bit. 

Those city people drive like maniacs, among other things. Makes for a hell of a Midwest storm chase driver though lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Ah, peak leaf color and beautiful weather in the north country means getting tailgated by a dude in a minivan with NY plates angrily weaving behind and then passing me as I go 10 over the speed limit.

Man you are lucky, or he just picked up his meth.  Every visitor here goes exactly 50% of whatever the posted speed limit is.  I’d love for them to be in such a rush.

I’m about to make a sign for my SUV that says “Congrat’s you’ve exceeded 30mph.  The posted limit is 50.  Next let’s try to go over 40.”

Luckily in VT you can legally pass on double yellows.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s going to prolong leaf cleanups up to and likely past T-giving . Last year we were done about Nov 10

We used to go to Woodstock for Thanksgiving growing up and I remember several years raking leaves all day at my grandmother’s while food is being made.  Brings back memories, not always fun ha.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We used to go to Woodstock for Thanksgiving growing up and I remember several years raking leaves all day at my grandmother’s while food is being made.  Brings back memories, not always fun ha.

As a kid.. I raked . Thankfully in this era . Backpack leaf blowers and blowers on wheels have replaced rakes. I can’t imagine why anyone would rake leaves by choice in 2021

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

As a kid.. I raked . Thankfully in this era . Backpack leaf blowers and blowers on wheels have replaced rakes. I can’t imagine why anyone would rake leaves by choice in 2021

Absolutely.  Backpack leaf blower was game changing.  Can just push a whole yard of leaves into the woods with a blower in a couple hours.  As a kid I loved mowing the lawn but raking was like going to the dentist.

• Haha 1