• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
IDA remnants OBS-nowcasts (storm total rain and/or unusual flooding, wind damage-power outage, gusts ~45+ MPH) Wed-Thu morning Sept 1-2, 2021

wdrag

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

How come we're not getting any of this yet? I have my windows open and it sounds like gentle showers falling outside with a slight breeze.....

If you're in Oceanside the warm front went north past you and therefore the heavy steady rain is NW of you. The lines of rain will come through tonight but won't be as steady. That being said radar is estimating over 3" in the northern half of Nassau County. The rain I've had so far has been very heavy but looks like another small dry slot coming in. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

If you're in Oceanside the warm front went north past you and therefore the heavy steady rain is NW of you. The lines of rain will come through tonight but won't be as steady. That being said radar is estimating over 3" in the northern half of Nassau County. The rain I've had so far has been very heavy but looks like another small dry slot coming in. 

Yeah it's been sporadic heavy rain and long breaks with only light showers.  Maybe we'll get a tornado to make up for the long breaks?

Over the last 12 hours (mostly the last 3-5 hours) we've seen 5-10" of rain almost everywhere along and west of the NJTPK from Wilmington DE (and back to DC/Balt, really) through Woodbridge, with the worst of it in western NJ and eastern PA. NYC/NE NJ will have 5-10" soon, as they just got a later start; just about 5" here in Metuchen with much more on the way. Incredible gradient on the radar estimated rainfall from NW to SE in NJ with <1" for most areas near the coast. Incredible.  

tx0oqxt.jpg

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Was it that much in that short a span?  I thought it was over 4-5 hours

On 8/31/2021 at 6:43 AM, bluewave said:

Yes. Islip reached 10” of rain in a little over 2 hrs.

https://hdsc.nws.noaa.gov/pub/hdsc/data/aep/201408_New_York/11_Islip_2014.pdf

https://www.weather.gov/owp/hdsc_aep

https://www.weather.gov/okx/HistoricFlooding_081314

SUMMARY:An official, New York State 24 hour precipitation record was set at Islip, NY on August 12-13, 2014 with 13.57" of rain (See Public Information Statement). This breaks the previous record of 11.6" at Tannersville, NY on August 27-28, 2011 during Hurricane/Tropical storm Irene. 1.08" fell in just 8 minutes from 5:39 am to 5:47 am (See Islip, NY Rainfall Data)! 

• Like 1