Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,108
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Elarey7
    Newest Member
    Elarey7
    Joined

Henri: Moderate-Major impacts NYC subforum this weekend, possibly into Monday August 21-23, 2021


wdrag
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Some of those totals seem a little off..... 7 inches at JFK and just 3 east of there?  From Saturday night onwards no one in the local area should have less than 6...hey Walt can you add one more map from Sat 8/21 thru Mon 8/23 because we had a whole lot of rain Saturday evening starting here around 6 PM

 

 

The map ranged 22-23 does include Sat eve since the 34 hrs ampunt dated the 22nd began at sunrise the 22st.  Those totals are not all inclusive but reasonable 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

I think the 1821 Hurricane if it happened again right on that track and maintained that intensity (which was greater than 1938) would be the ultimate storm.

 

how was a storm like 1821 possible especially coming only five years after the year without a summer...the waters must have warmed pretty fast back then...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, uncle W said:

how was a storm like 1821 possible especially coming only five years after the year without a summer...the waters must have warmed pretty fast back then...

I would like to hear some eyewitness reports, although the ones I have seen show the surge was really high and the pressure near the center was really low even when it was going over Manhattan.  Do you have any windspeed reports, did any part of our area have 100+ gusts?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I think the 1821 Hurricane if it happened again right on that track and maintained that intensity (which was greater than 1938) would be the ultimate storm.

 

Your making assumptions based off the lower Manhattan reports. 1821 just happened to have the perfect track for surge for Manhattan.  But it was less impactful for the region as a whole then Sandy

image.jpeg.2da402220bdb6eac958be252b56747cd.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, forkyfork said:

this is a pretty crazy track

Henri_2021_track.png

Thankfully the wind didn’t materialize outside a small area in RI. If there was 70 mph wind in NYC with the 8” of rain the tree/power line damage would’ve been horrific. As bad as Isaias was wind wise it happened with less than 1” of rain east of NYC. In a way it’s a blessing for hurricanes up here. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Thankfully the wind didn’t materialize outside a small area in RI. If there was 70 mph wind in NYC with the 8” of rain the tree/power line damage would’ve been horrific. As bad as Isaias was wind wise it happened with less than 1” of rain east of NYC. In a way it’s a blessing for hurricanes up here. 

It's hard to get the rain and wind combo up in the northeast with tropical systems.  Most of the rain is on the west side and most of the wind is on the east.   With Irene I got 5" of rain and 60+mph gusts for hours.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

It's hard to get the rain and wind combo up in the northeast with tropical systems.  Most of the rain is on the west side and most of the wind is on the east.   With Irene I got 5" of rain and 60+mph gusts for hours.  

Same here. Irene had a lot of front end rain in Long Beach and the surge was pretty bad-most basements flooded but not first floors like Sandy. We had 60mph winds or so but tree damage wasn’t too bad. 3/2010 and Sandy eliminated essentially every big tree here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

it was Cat 2 and strengthening, just another doesnt make sense, the sheer size of the storm gave it more energy than any other hurricane other than Katrina

SS scale doesn't describes hurricanes like this well

 

I believe it was a Cat 2 briefly on Oct. 29 but when it came ashore it was a Cat 1 with 80mph winds. Regardless, my point was if Sandy took the typical hurricane track south to north, the severe flooding would not have happened in the NY and NJ area.  That is what Sandy will be most remembered for. Being so large the energy was spread out with strong winds over  a huge area. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Same here. Irene had a lot of front end rain in Long Beach and the surge was pretty bad-most basements flooded but not first floors like Sandy. We had 60mph winds or so but tree damage wasn’t too bad. 3/2010 and Sandy eliminated essentially every big tree here. 

Imagine if Irene had been stronger down south it would've been stronger up here.

I think the strongest we can reasonably expect for a Hatteras Cane to be is 130 mph.....I wonder if Irene was that strong there how strong it would have been up here on that track and make it move quicker, like 40-50 mph

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...