• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Henri: Moderate-Major impacts NYC subforum this weekend, possibly into Monday August 21-23, 2021

wdrag

45 minutes ago, NYC10023 said:

thanks, that's what I thought as well. But on the websites for ABC7 and NBC4, they both have that 4.47'' total listed for Central Park. 

I guess the question was more rhetorical as in, where are they getting this number ...

AND I just looked again, they were only reporting up until 8:30am yesterday so that explains it. Sorry for confusion, it's early and more coffee is needed. 

You’re welcome. In the end, yesterday saw 2.67” of rain (very little prior to 9 am). 

2 hours ago, forkyfork said:

eventually one of these die rolls is going to be with a cat 3+

haven't most of our Cat 3s been overturned with new research?  We've actually had far fewer strong hurricanes get this far north than we did in the 30s-60s period.  As a matter of fact we had at least one hurricane make landfall here every decade from the 30s through the 80s, but none since then.  Even if you allow for Bob barely missing us in 1991, that still means that since 1991 no hurricane has made landfall in the northeast.  Like, anywhere in the northeast.....whats going on?

12 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

haven't most of our Cat 3s been overturned with new research?  We've actually had far fewer strong hurricanes get this far north than we did in the 30s-60s period.  As a matter of fact we had at least one hurricane make landfall here every decade from the 30s through the 80s, but none since then.  Even if you allow for Bob barely missing us in 1991, that still means that since 1991 no hurricane has made landfall in the northeast.  Like, anywhere in the northeast.....whats going on?

How about Sandy in 2012?

2 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

How about Sandy in 2012?

I remember waking up that morning , checking the radar and seeing a sub 940 low about to pull west.  It was the most fascinating thing I ever witnessed.

I also remember people calling bust during the day when nothing was happening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I remember waking up that morning , checking the radar and seeing a sub 940 low about to pull west.  It was the most fascinating thing I ever witnessed.

once in a lifetime there.  That sting jet was nuts...many around me were without power 7-10 days.   (got lucky here-only out 6 hrs)

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

It’s amazing how short people’s memories are.  Numerous wind gusts to hurricane force across LI including 90 mph at Islip.  Just about Every road and train tunnel to Manhattan flooded out.  53 people dead in NY.  $40 billion + in damages.  Massive damage along the NJ shore.  With regards to its status at landfall I think that had to do with politics.  Insurance companies had to pay more due to it being classified as other than a hurricane (my opinion).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

once in a lifetime there.  That sting jet was nuts...many around me were without power 7-10 days.   (got lucky here-only out 6 hrs)

Nothing was going on here during the day. Once nighttime hit , that's when things got dangerous.

Winds were roaring like a train , water was coming down my block and the power went out. 

My mom looked out the window and saw the water flowing down the block.  She them said to me " we are the last house on the block with power "

What happens  next ? We lost power.

My mom and I stayed 2 nights at my aunt's  house in Staten Island. She had power the whole time ( Huguenot ).

I took alot of pics of the destruction after Sandy ( I will post them later since I'm at work )

2 minutes ago, RippleEffect said:

How does Irene compare to sandy when it came down to damage, surge rain and wind ?

I had close to 7 inches of rain with Irene with some wind. This past storm was just like Irene in my area.

With Sandy , you can't compare the two where I live in Brooklyn.

7 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Nothing was going on here during the day. Once nighttime hit , that's when things got dangerous.

Winds were roaring like a train , water was coming down my block and the power went out. 

My mom looked out the window and saw the water flowing down the block.  She them said to me " we are the last house on the block with power "

My mom and I stayed 2 nights at my aunt's  house in Staten Island. She had power the whole time ( Huguenot ).

I took alot of pics of the destruction after Sandy ( I will post them later since I'm at work )

We still had no power when the snowstorm hit the week after. It was very strange

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I had close to 7 inches of rain with Irene with some wind. This past storm was just like Irene in my area.

With Sandy , you can't compare the two where I live in Brooklyn.

you didnt have any damage from the wind or lost your power with Sandy?  No power here for 25 hours from right when it made landfall at 6 pm to 7 pm the next evening

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

you didnt have any damage from the wind or lost your power with Sandy?  No power here for 25 hours from right when it made landfall at 6 pm to 7 pm the next evening

Of course I did

I lost power for 5 days and my whole area was flooded.

12 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

where did the water flowing down your block come from? It sounds like you lost power around 6 PM too

You didnt have power for 2 nights?

3 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

where did the water flowing down your block come from? It sounds like you lost power around 6 PM too

You didnt have power for 2 nights?

I lost power for 5 days

I live near a bay and the ocean so the water overflowed from the both of them

Here are some pics of Sandy 

FB_IMG_1629739169356.jpg

FB_IMG_1629739181368.jpg

FB_IMG_1629739187591.jpg

FB_IMG_1629739198311.jpg

FB_IMG_1629739203651.jpg

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

It’s amazing how short people’s memories are.  Numerous wind gusts to hurricane force across LI including 90 mph at Islip.  Just about Every road and train tunnel to Manhattan flooded out.  53 people dead in NY.  $40 billion + in damages.  Massive damage along the NJ shore.  With regards to its status at landfall I think that had to do with politics.  Insurance companies had to pay more due to it being classified as other than a hurricane (my opinion).

fwiw NHC will never make that mistake again.  It should always have been a hurricane right up to landfall. I have major issues with these definitions (same with blizzards.)

First of all I absolutely hate the Saffir Simpson scale for various reasons (not the least of which is that a lot more than just wind goes into how much damage is caused in a storm), but putting that aside for a second, the scale should be in 5 mph increments, so to have Cat 1 at 74 mph is pointless when measurements are rounded to 5 mph, make it 75 mph.....on top of that ANY storm with winds of 75 mph should be a hurricane not just one that is fully "tropical".  People on the ground care about the wind speed not where the storm came from or what it turned into,  if you really want a separate definition for the truly tropical ones call them tropical hurricanes.  Hurricane needs to STAY in the definition because thats what people pay attention to, so a storm like Sandy shouldn't be called a "Superstorm" because that isn't a real thing, there is no scientific definition for one.  It should ALWAYS be called a hurricane.

With blizzards I think it's ridiculous that we dont have a snowfall component to it.  Those things that happen in the midwest with little or no snowfall actually falling should be called ground blizzards, while we should have a separate definition for ours that also has a snowfall component to it (10 inches in 12 hours or 20 inches in 24 hours.)

/rant(s)

• Rjay unpinned this topic