Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,917
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    kpreston025
    Newest Member
    kpreston025
    Joined

Tropical Storm Henri


wxeyeNH
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah will it? It seems Awfully tight for something our latitude.

Idk. The recon this morning had a bit less of that e wind maximum as it had tightened and become more stacked. I think it will be small for new England TCs but probably better on the east side than the modeling would suggest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Quincy said:

Yeah, that wording is suspect. How often does I-95/395 see power outages from nor’easters? Sure, there will be a lot of power outages, but that scale seems to imply it will be the worst on record or something. 

It's just hard to tell.  Obviously this won't be the strongest hurricane to hit the area.  But there's much more infrastructure now than there was 100 or even 75 years ago, and we're more dependent upon it than ever.  Also, we never do well with strong south winds with fully leafed out trees.  Maybe it won't be the worst but it's sure not gonna be good...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe one of these centuries the usa will behave like it's not a colonial outpost and begin burying power lines.

Itll make everywhere look much more attractive too. I wouldn't tolerate such shitty cable management inside my computer, or behind my tv, but the usa does worse on a national scale. It's absolutely repugnant.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NeonPeon said:

Maybe one of these centuries the usa will behave like it's not a colonial outpost and begin burying power lines.

Itll make everywhere look much more attractive too. I wouldn't tolerate such shitty cable management inside my computer, or behind my tv, but the usa does worse on a national scale. It's absolutely repugnant.

1) This is America. Why prepare when we can repair? 

2) It would be ALOT of money to convert 

3) Underground does have its own set of issues. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:

1) This is America. Why prepare when we can repair? 

2) It would be ALOT of money to convert 

3) Underground does have its own set of issues. 

It's worth the money for every place, everywhere you go to not look slovenly and temporary. This is one of those things that if you didnt grow up and just become accustomed to it, is utterly unfathomable.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Don't know.  I just don't see historic power outages coming.

it doesn’t take much for historic numbers. We have towns that lose power because it’s bright sunny. 6k people were without power for 2 hours Tuesday no idea why it was sunny… our neighbor lost a tree in the quick rainstorm we had the other day..Of all the stations in CT we lean towards NBC30 and WFSB because they don’t over hype

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NeonPeon said:

The entire us power grid is antiquated.

This is true. Our grid sucks where I am currently.....but CT seems on another scale up though. We saw the massive contrast in both Irene and the Oct 2011 storms too...like towns right next to each other on the border...the MA side would only have scattered outages and the CT side would be like 90-100% out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, NeonPeon said:

It's worth the money for every place, everywhere you go to not look slovenly and temporary. This is one of those things that if you didnt grow up and just become accustomed to it, is utterly unfathomable.

Side note - many do not realize as EVs become increasingly popular, we do not have a grid that can support it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You seem to have a learning disability - or perhaps a histrionic disorder which over a dacade of on and off exposure to your jest really evinces this is your problem. 

When it comes to comprehension.   You miss interpret sardonics/sarcasm and drool cynicism as literal, and take things to a distraction because you merely don't like what you read - miss the point. 

So .. no, I will not shut the f up based upon your limitations.  

Sorry.  You are more than welcome not to read, block me, or log off.  Do what you want.   I think it would be easier to lighten up. 

 

As much as I respect your understanding of meteorology, your posts make my head hurt.  Would you please present your knowledge in a form that everyday weenies can understand? 

  • Weenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Why is CT power so fragile? The trees? Or is the system neglected in some way?

Massive forest highest density in history of record. Multiple years of ravage by Gypsy moths, ash borer. Leaf growth this year is off the hook due to so much rain. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Should also note the NHC has this going over Madison, CT as a 70 mph tropical storm with gusts up to 85 mph...the power outages along the shoreline would be phenomenal. Plus...CT is very small...tropical storm force winds would encompass the entire state. 

Highest inland wind gusts from GFS look like maybe 60 MPH. Still robust and damaging, but model simulated wind gusts near the surface are almost always overdone in similar situations. 
3B0E1040-38B7-41B8-A9CE-2E0A3FBE9CFB.thumb.jpeg.f51ae4e9084af40da9525299cf7f72ab.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah I mean rain soaked soil, potential for 60 gusts and our infrastructure does not look great.

Just got down to NE CT… every gas station has at least one or two people filling up red gas containers.  One of the clerks was joking they lose power on a sunny day with a stiff breeze.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is true. Our grid sucks where I am currently.....but CT seems on another scale up though. We saw the massive contrast in both Irene and the Oct 2011 storms too...like towns right next to each other on the border...the MA side would only have scattered outages and the CT side would be like 90-100% out. 

This could also be because the grid has weird boundaries with the way the power flows.  Most of the towns on the border in RI don't have direct connections with the towns in MA.  You think it would in 2021, especially when the same company owns the distribution lines on both sides of the border.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Quincy said:

Highest inland wind gusts from GFS look like maybe 60 MPH. Still robust and damaging, but model simulated wind gusts near the surface are almost always overdone in similar situations. 
3B0E1040-38B7-41B8-A9CE-2E0A3FBE9CFB.thumb.jpeg.f51ae4e9084af40da9525299cf7f72ab.jpeg

Beg to differ Isiasis overpreformed last year so did Oct 17, April 20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WEATHER53 said:

Extensive tree trimming around DC did the trick Frequent power outages thru 2011 but very little since they did the work

Jerry and Ray and Ginx .  Can y’all still swim or at least duck under your workbench for cover?????

 

 

Whats work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...