Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not sure I know what you mean here ?

A while back (I believe it was with Hurricane Matthew), I read about about a system that was actually creating shear, leading to a favorable interaction with the hurricane because it was allowing the storm more outflow, despite it technically being sheer. 

I was wondering if this is what you meant. A system close enough to interreacting, is actually creating a channel for outflow for Henri. 

There was a specific name in a study for this, but I cannot remember it off the top of my head. 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I mean I guess it could but the wind field is going to expand north to some degree. If it gets to low end cat 2 like some stuff shows.. and it moves into HVN as Cat 1 and moves 5-10 mph NNW towards ALB.. that’s a long period of winds gusting 60-70 mph well north . I’m not thinking cane gusts can get that far north but there will be some very strong winds at least to I-90 in my opinion. This whole thing is a first so all anyone can do is really just make educated guesses . 

Absolutely agree, New playbook. Interesting stuff. We just knew this year would yield threats here. New moon and full moon in Sept are the next Lookout dates

5 minutes ago, HailMan06 said:

Could you expand on this @Typhoon Tip?

@LibertyBell

This is an immensely complex course work to do so.  Start with this ... with scientific thesaurus in tow where needed:

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/bibliography/related_files/jlu0701.pdf

The HC's northern boundary where it terminates into the westerlies is not fix boundary or 'curb' in free air either.  It's really along where the gradient steepens, and the jets ( westerlies ) ablate past.. .It bulges, up then collapsing down ... over time, while the mean width appears to be growing since the hockey-stick era of CC really begin in the last 25 years...

Anyway, the idea leveled a moment ago was speculative that now is one of those expanded bulge times... I mean how hard is that to guess, when the 582 is so far N and the 588 too... We are immersed in 575 thickness, with 85/75 Peruvian jungle air.  It's not a huge leap to figure why a TC moving into this region would actually NOT encounter "colder" conditions than it is leaving - at least not cold enough to be a baroclinic/frontal genesis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LawdogGRNJ said:

What's the latest confirmed location on the LLC core?

Channel 13 IR appears to have it peaking through at 30.2 N by 74W ish with the convection making a run at wrap around it.

NOTE:  Still learning so know visuals are often deceiving. 

31.2  73.9 is  LLC estimate by NHC 45 min ago 

Just now, Joe4alb said:

Looking at the lastest vis sat loop. Stronger convection appears to be moving much closer to the LLC. 

Capture.JPG

that's been doing that all day ...  That region immediately/adjacent and west of your circled annotation is probably dim sun over 15' seas.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is an immensely complex course work to do so.  Start with this ... with scientific thesaurus in tow where needed:

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/bibliography/related_files/jlu0701.pdf

The HC's northern boundary where it terminates into the westerlies is not fix boundary or 'curb' in free air either.  It's really along where the gradient steepens, and the jets ( westerlies ) ablate past.. .It bulges, up then collapsing down ... over time, while the mean width appears to be growing since the hockey-stick era of CC really begin in the last 25 years...

Anyway, the idea leveled a moment ago was speculative that now is one of those expanded bulge times... I mean how hard is that to guess, when the 582 is so far N and the 588 too... We are immersed in 575 thickness, with 85/75 Peruvian jungle air.  It's not a huge leap to figure why a TC moving into this region would actually NOT encounter "colder" conditions than it is leaving - at least not cold enough to be a baroclinic/frontal genesis.

Thank you so much. I will read through the paper when I have the chance but it what I did see it explains a lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

that's been doing that all day ...  That region immediately/adjacent and west of your circled annotation is probably dim sun over 15' seas.

agreed but it was much more disjointed earlier in the day. Almost to the point you could clearly make out the LLC to the NW of the main convection. 

12 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

A while back (I believe it was with Hurricane Matthew), I read about about a system that was actually creating shear, leading to a favorable interaction with the hurricane because it was allowing the storm more outflow, despite it technically being sheer. 

I was wondering if this is what you meant. A system close enough to interreacting, is actually creating a channel for outflow for Henri. 

There was a specific name in a study for this, but I cannot remember it off the top of my head. 

oh I see - yeah... No in this case the shear is outflow from that convection and it is joining into the on-going circulation mode/anticyclonic rotation, and that "add in" may be belaying the environment from transitioning into a lowered shear, by prolonging the N-E impacting vectors.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

oh I see - yeah... No in this case the shear is outflow from that convection and it is joining into the on-going circulation mode/anticyclonic rotation, and that "add in" may be belaying the environment from transitioning into a lowered shear, by prolonging the N-E impacting vectors.  

Thanks for the explanation. 

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Absolutely agree, New playbook. Interesting stuff. We just knew this year would yield threats here. New moon and full moon in Sept are the next Lookout dates

Agreed man. When we both said a few months ago that this had a good chance to be “SNE” year.. eyebrows raised. Ray also agreed. The trifecta 

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic