Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Henri

wxeyeNH

Just now, Sn0waddict said:

I may be in the worst possible position right now for this. No power for multiple days or rain that’s floods my house. What wonderful options to chose from . Ugh.

I would much rather lose power for a week then have flooding problems. Losing power is merely just an inconvenience. Flooding...well that can be just devastating 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Someone is going to get that much too I think. Agreed that the 12"+ jackpot can stay out of here, lol.....

I still am not sold on the further west track (like W LI into W CT), but the trend is definitely west right now.

last minute east trend as usual, Cape under a big threat if it goes in east of providence?  However, looks like it slows down at around 39 north which will probably help in terms of lowering intensity.  Won't be sailing along at 40 mph straight into the coast with little time to weaken and wind speed enhancement.  Just a shiteload of rain.

15 minutes ago, LovewellHemp said:

I have a hemp farm in Hope Valley, RI and I'm trying to gauge if it's worth $1000 in materials and the next 48 hours of my life staking up an acre of plants. Are we looking at guaranteed 50+ mph winds 10 miles inland? I appreciate any and all input 

No guarantees but if you give some edibles I can predict your winds tomorrow at noon for Sunday lol.  You probably gust to 50 though. Very close to the ocean. But if you are behind the hills by the golf course less but down by the turf fields more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This may be the storm that triggers the first North America, 'climate change' attributed diaspora of population out of a geographical region.  Namely, ... NYC         ( California is next but ..that's probably more suited to the climate forum)

Sandy literally filled the subways of lower Manhattan.  Video sent homages of a doom's day species migration - think skies filled with fleeing birds, Hollywood trope.  But it wasn't in the sky - it was under foot.  Rats!   Eeew ... flooding up stairwells ( saw video ), proverbially at the same rate the water fell over the top step, rolling over each subsequent like a class- 4 rapids. 

That UKMET solution from last 0z last night.  That appearance connotes a far worse than Sandy scenario to me. The model seems to want Cat 2 .. ( maybe 3 can be inferred by that weird flop-high tendency that biases guidance all the damn time...) over a long enough period to really not f*ck around with just being close to surge doming - that water WILL come in en masse, bee-line and targeted direct, not indirect like Sandy did.  That region, the geographic "bite" layout of upper NJ and western L.I., has never really experienced the full geological possibility it has dodged for the last 200 years:  a full bird categoried monster hooking the eye over Central Park.  

That's ...almost indescribably bad if that happens. Beyond 'bundamental' insanity. But wait, they built 'The Battery' after Sandy - okay...  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 3

10 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

I may be in the worst possible position right now for this. No power for multiple days or rain that’s floods my house. What wonderful options to chose from . Ugh.

We're in the same boat. I keep waffling back and forth between which option I'd prefer. I think I lean towards the rain...as I'm not in a low lying area and the biggest risk there is some water in the generally unfinished basement. I really hate the though of a tree falling on the house or stressing out about keeping the generator fueled and food from spoiling...not to mention the uncomfortable nights without AC. Honestly I'm kind of hoping for a continued W shift over NYC with a compact wind field that keeps any widespread wind damage close to the core.

I'm hoping to avoid a tree falling on my house. Hoping the winds are unremarkable at the surface and it peters. With current thinking on track, it seems Newport would be spared the worst of the rain but so much more watching before we have a great sense of where this is going.

The trees here are pretty well conditioned for wind, but it could easily be an odd wind direction for here.

44 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

FLOODING RAIN. Can't stress enough this will be the most damaging aspect to this event.
I'm jealous, moved down here for just what y'all are going to experience. I've had my days and the "biggy" has yet to hit. Not if but when.
So I live vicariously once again... 

Don in the m'effin house!  

• dendrite changed the title to Tropical Storm Henri
  • dendrite unpinned this topic