Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

17 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We are all still Americans.  Some like pineapple on pizza. Some don’t. 

Pineapple, avocado, whatever - only things I wouldn't want on a pizza are limburger or gamelost*.
* Norwegian for "old cheese", dark brown outside, evil greenish inside.  My wife's grandparent were all born in Norway, and during our engagement we visited her maternal grandfather in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.  He offered me some gamelost, perhaps as a rite of passage for a non-Norwegian.  My impression?  It didn't taste quite as bad as it smelled.

This oldster doesn't do flip-flops, the same for shorts except for jammies, though I've got a pair for swimming.  Short-sleeve shirts year round, though they made co-workers shiver when I'd be in my cool (65°) office on a -15 January morning - better to be a bit chilly for the 2-minute walk from the lot than overly warm for 9 hours inside.  Exception would be if I was to be outside for a while in the cold - snowblowing, deer hunting, ice fishing, all were flannel time.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

FWIW:

[quote]

The CDC reported 6,587 COVID-19 breakthrough cases as of July 26, including 6,239 hospitalizations and 1,263 deaths. At that time, more than 163 million people in the United States were fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Divide those severe breakthrough cases by the total fully vaccinated population for the result: less than 0.004% of fully vaccinated people had a breakthrough case that led to hospitalization and less than 0.001% of fully vaccinated people died from a breakthrough COVID-19 case.

Most of the breakthrough cases — about 74% — occurred among adults 65 or older. [\quote]

Source

When I first read this I couldn't believe that 95% of breakthrough cases were hospitalized and almost 20% died.  Then I realized that, despite the misleading syntax of that sentence, the latter 2 numbers were national totals, not just the breakthrough outcomes.  ;)

19 minutes ago, tamarack said:

When I first read this I couldn't believe that 95% of breakthrough cases were hospitalized and almost 20% died.  Then I realized that, despite the misleading syntax of that sentence, the latter 2 numbers were national totals, not just the breakthrough outcomes.  ;)

Yea, some of this stuff isnt written well at all. A lot of confusion and panic are brought on by poorly written articles. I don’t think these things are edited closely, or maybe even at all. That’s a huge drawback of social media, the ability for anyone to be able to publish stuff on the net, 24/7 news cycles, wall to wall coverage to fill airtime, etc. It used to be there was a 6:30 pm national newscast that was researched and edited for content. Huntley/Brinkley, Eric Severide, Rodger Mudd,  Uncle Walter,  et. al., wouldn't stand for this shoddy shit that masquerades as journalism today, from all sides. Those were real news guys. Even if they leaned one way or another politically, you couldn’t tell. And they smoked on air when there was a “special report”. When one of those came on and interrupted the tv show we were watching, you knew there was sone serious shit going down. Not like now when CNN or Fox has a “breaking news” ticker that comes up to tell us J Lo was spotted with Ben noodling in some LA restaurant. 
But I date myself for bringing up those guys. :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

The breakthrough case numbers in the US are going to be lower than reality because the CDC basically stopped tracking the mild cases in May and many states at least partially followed suit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pressure-grows-on-cdc-to-expand-tracking-of-covid-19-breakthrough-cases/ar-AAMLavz

the article I quoted is specific to the severe breakthrough cases (hospitalizations and/or death).

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

My mother-in-law has had it on basically 24/7 since the pandemic started. They are talking about delta non-stop right now. 24 hours straight of delta coverage. Whenever I come in the room I turn it off, but then later she turns it back on. The narrative is getting so over the top now I have noticed even the vaccinated people in my family who were very scared of COVID are starting to really question things. It kinda doesn't make any sense if you just turn off the TV and think about it.

This is a TV news network dream come true-wonder if CNN has put the death tracker ticker back up?   

5 minutes ago, South Shore Slop said:

For the "casedemic clowns"...

kHgDk5TV_bigger.png

Now do hospitalizations For the #casedemics who still don't get it

It's indoor cold/flu season in the south. They have a spike every summer. People from the south have chimed in on these threads to tell you chowderheads that but you don't listen.

It's indoor cold/flu season in the south. They have a spike every summer. People from the south have chimed in on these threads to tell you chowderheads that but you don't listen.

It's amazing how badly some people want this to never end. 

22 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just got our rapid antigen.  All negative.  So we are good to go.  
We just need the same to happen when we are set to head home

Where’d you have it done and how much was it?

If the govt was serious about this they would pay for a rapid antigen test for every man women and child 2 times a week for about 3-4 months. It would catch a LOT of real, actual transmissible infection. The cost would be infinitely less than what’s been spent on COVID relief so far and it would go a long way to tamping down spread. 
Sone at the Harvard School of Publuv Health have advocated for this since May of 2020.  Deaf ears. 

2 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yea, some of this stuff isnt written well at all. A lot of confusion and panic are brought on by poorly written articles. I don’t think these things are edited closely, or maybe even at all, or are edited that way deliberately. That’s a huge drawback of social media, the ability for anyone to be able to publish stuff on the net, 24/7 news cycles, wall to wall coverage to fill airtime, etc. It used to be there was a 6:30 pm national newscast that was researched and edited for content. Huntley/Brinkley, Eric Severide, Rodger Mudd,  Uncle Walter,  et. al., wouldn't stand for this shoddy shit that masquerades as journalism today, from all sides. Those were real news guys. Even if they leaned one way or another politically, you couldn’t tell. And they smoked on air when there was a “special report”. When one of those came on and interrupted the tv show we were watching, you knew there was sone serious shit going down. Not like now when CNN or Fox has a “breaking news” ticker that comes up to tell us J Lo was spotted with Ben noodling in some LA restaurant. 
But I date myself for bringing up those guys. :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Where’d you have it done and how much was it?

If the govt was serious about this they would pay for a rapid antigen test for every man women and child 2 times a week for about 3-4 months. It would catch a LOT of real, actual transmissible infection. The cost would be infinitely less than what’s been spent on COVID relief so far and it would go a long way to tamping down spread. 
Sone at the Harvard School of Publuv Health have advocated for this since May of 2020.  Deaf ears. 

CVS.  It was free.   Maybe they bill insurance since we provided that.  But if uninsured you don’t have to pay.
 I will have to pay for the ones overseas.  Around $35 each I think

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Saw this misleading article on CNN about pediatric hospitals at capacity in Lousiana, I believe. Most of the admitted patients suffered from RSV, but they don't really explicitly say that until the very end of the article. They want the reader to believe it's mainly COVID related. 

For some reason RSV is going around. 

I’m not sure how this narrative got started but have you ever been to FL in summer?   Everyone is outside only coming in for the daily downpours.   I mean with this logic everyone from NYC south would huddle indoors all summer.

Some of them actually want people to die in large numbers because they assume the unvaccinated are all moron Trump voters who drink bleach. It's a kind of schadenfreude.

It's not going to "end" in that sense, though, anyway - sardonics aside for a moment. I mean, in what context does one mean end ? SAR-2 will change into subsequent versions but the essence is here forever.   That's not ending.  

What needs to end is a preconception, or conceit really ...that humans are separate and entirely self-guiding, with total proxy over the biology of the world ( I'm saying that in the extreme sense to make the point..).  So long as this misconception lubes the gears of reactionism, intruding into lives with tedious micromanagement will continue to fu-up and take any joy out of discrete affairs.  But more likely ... people will realize this and soft revolt will cancel it out like the cultural zealots are attempting to dehumanize us with already.

Longer bloviation:   Once that happens and proverbial attention has turned asunder ... that's just as good as ending.  But the physical reality of this illness' presence is never ending - now if we wanna get into future genomic mutation and changing forms and blah blah :wacko2:... Okay, but again, that's not ending.

We seem to have come to a point in techno-sociological evolution/feed-back on attitudes and opinions, where we are above the natural forces on a planet where we are 100% sucking off the environmental teat for existence.

Okay, so easing the metaphor even more annoying further,  if the milk is soured to our taste, yeah...we can change the flavor by vaccines and masks and distancing and whatever, as much as we like, but we still have to drink the sour milk.

Sorry for the wax-philo-babble sermon but it frustrates me to no end when all of this we do,  ... we do to ourselves.  All of it.  If we did nothing, and 500,000,000 died, that would have been a choice, too.  People lose sight of that difference between an evolutionary biological imperative, versus the prevarication of imperative painted by hyperbole ...  And I do think that on some level that hyperbole feeds back in influencing the evolution of policy.  Yuck ... f you!

We are delusional in our industrial bubble of convenience now over too many generations. The gestalt is in place now that is disconnected from real nature so far that we come up with plausibility in policy and act unaware of consequence. 

41 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Some of them actually want people to die in large numbers because they assume the unvaccinated are all moron Trump voters who drink bleach. It's a kind of schadenfreude.

It goes both ways and it’s both disturbing as a way to say “told ya so!”  Vaccinated love pointing out unvaxxed who are sick or dying… meanwhile the unvaccinated also come off as getting pleasure from hearing vaccinated folks are getting sick and almost cheer for vaccine complications.

Both sides using people’s health to prove their points…almost gleefully.

• Like 2