Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

4 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Two ladies this morning told me they were putting their memberships on hold if we require masks . Before you laugh, try working out at 100% with a mask on .

This studio barely survived the last year , so I’m sure baker will over-react , it’s just so easy to say masks are required (regardless of it having little effect in high vax states)

The states that would benefit from this won’t follow the CDC anyway , so it’s sorta ...toothless for effect 

We went through this last summer with our electrical business. Try telling the guys they have to wear a mask, working in the sun on a 95 degree day. NOT going to happen. There were some...interesting conversations with some customers to say the least.

• Like 2

Just now, MJO812 said:

He had covid and was in the hospital last March for a week and then he just tested positive again.

Reinfections are pretty rare but maybe this has something to do with the other variants. Is it a pretty mild case now?

I must not know many people because I can't believe how many of you guys know multiple people getting sick and dying from COVID.

My family doesn't know of anyone who had serious COVID. And none of my employees or their families have had any issues either. Just lucky I guess.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

It could be. Obviously long-term studies that attempt to rule out the many conflating factors are needed. All I keep seeing are anecdotes from a "friend of a friend" type deal referring to very generic symptoms that can also be caused by excessive stress, anxiety, etc. I think it's kind of telling that this seems to mostly affect the same demographics that are hardest hit by anxiety disorders and depression (females 30-50 years of age). That doesn't seem to make sense given that COVID actually hits a totally different demographic (older men) hardest, right?

Here's my "friend of a friend" anecdote.  It's our pastor's cousin, also a pastor but in the south.  This fellow was on a ventilator 2+ week then another 3 in hospital and about the same in rehab.  When he finally returned home he could only take 2-3 steps before having to stop and catch his breath.  Last I heard, perhaps 6 weeks after homecoming, was that he was walking up to 200 feet without stopping and has resumed some pastoral duty.  Had comorbidity - cancer survivor (don't know which kind) - and is late 50s.  Doesn't seem to fit depression or anxiety only.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Here's my "friend of a friend" anecdote.  It's our pastor's cousin, also a pastor but in the south.  This fellow was on a ventilator 2+ week then another 3 in hospital and about the same in rehab.  When he finally returned home he could only take 2-3 steps before having to stop and catch his breath.  Last I heard, perhaps 6 weeks after homecoming, was that he was walking up to 200 feet without stopping and has resumed some pastoral duty.  Had comorbidity - cancer survivor (don't know which kind) - and is late 50s.  Doesn't seem to fit depression or anxiety only.

Seems that if you don’t get better within 7 days of symptoms , that is when you go down hill rather quickly (hospitalization) and that is when folks have a higher chance to deal with the real lasting damage That results to various organs ..the long haulers . The minority that require hospitalization ...many accounts seem to be of going thru hell .. If you develop that sort of immune overreaction (can’t recall the word for it) that is when your enter the deep trouble and your life is in danger 

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I know a guy in his 60s who had very bad antibiotic-resistant pneumonia that lingered and caused issues with his lung capacity and stamina for a while. So it can definitely happen. 

4 minutes ago, White Rain said:

It seems like everyone who winds up on a ventilator has lasting impacts. 

I think most older people who are ventilated end up dying soon even if they survive the process. The stats were pretty sobering last time I saw them. That’s what I mean when I say we need some studies to really parse out this long COVID stuff from other factors such as 2 weeks on a ventilator.

5 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

That's not stopping Maine CDC from requiring masks again in public places, effective today. I don't know if it'll be statewide or not, but details to come. Total over reaction.:thumbsdown:

The f in CDC quoted an unpublished non peer reviewed article with a non approved vaccine as the basis. I mean WTF

If you have viral particulate identifiable through seralogic differentiation, you are positive.

Use in content among various media ? doesn't mean shit.

Media preys on the 96th % tile nimrod to sell headlines.   POSITIVE = cha-ching.   Mask = cha-ching via vitriol.  They're actually socially engineering you by sowing the seed for the 2ndary and tertiary fall-out sociological flowery headlines.

They aren't causing/ed of the pandemic, but they have 0 compunctions of exploiting it with 0 morality.   When eventually evolution kicks in and people begin to sense at an instinctive level how none of this will work, and start reclaiming life by simply turning away ... zero headlines.

• Like 3

Just listened to Dr. Shah (Maine CDC) and the mask recommendation for vaccinated people at indoor public places has been applied to York and Piscataquis Counties, the 2nd most and the least populous of Maine's 16.  Looking at the Johns Hopkins data - dated 10:30 AM today but obviously thru yesterday, here are the numbers for those 2 counties for July 21-27:

York:  95 total cases, population 204k, 47/100k (Daily 6.7)

Piscataquis:  8 total cases (5 on 7/22), population ~16,700, 48/100k (Daily 6.8)

That 7-day period is somewhat higher than the previous 7 days.  Dr. Shah added that the state's testing was showing a positivity rate of 1.5% and that daily tests were 221/100k or about 2,960 total daily tests.  That works out to 44-45 new cases daily.  62% of Maine's total population is fully vaccinated, more have had a first dose of Pfizer/Moderna, and while I don't have the proportion of Mainers <12 years old, I'd guess that 75%+ of eligible people are fully vaxxed.

Maybe I'm being ignorant, but those numbers don't seem nearly high enough for the actions taken, especially with his (unsurprising) note that more counties could be added as warranted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

would be interesting to see how this would turn out had one of the spouses not been vaxed

Well, we know if they had been fine and recovered with no issues, we never would have heard about it. Just like a Yelp review, you only ever hear about the terrible COVID outcomes, not the hundreds of millions of mild cases with no real complications.

If they use the 50/100k metric for cases to mask up, and don't take the hospital load and deaths into account, some jurisdictions will have people masked indefinitely. 

Doesnt look like Ned and Cuomo are going to do it. I dont think Baker will either, but he'll be under tremendous pressure.

I'm shocked Cambridge hasn't done it yet

4 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

If they use the 50/100k metric for cases to mask up, and don't take the hospital load and deaths into account, some jurisdictions will have people masked indefinitely. 

Doesnt look like Ned and Cuomo are going to do it. I dont think Baker will either, but he'll be under tremendous pressure.

I'm shocked Cambridge hasn't done it yet

Definitely more resistance to this so far than I expected, which is good. The vaccinated are the ones who needed to be pushing back on this the most, and that seems to be happening to a good degree.

• Haha 1