Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer Banter

HoarfrostHubb

14 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Hope you feel better.  All of this rain etc can’t be helping with things like mold spores. 

Yea we have the central air going just to keep the house dried out. I have an over active immune system anyway (Crohn's disease) so I am always at an increased risk of developing it. Going to get the best mask I can come fall, instead of my usual 20 student lab section I got assigned a 350 student lecture. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PowderBeard said:

Yea we have the central air going just to keep the house dried out. I have an over active immune system anyway (Crohn's disease) so I am always at an increased risk of developing it. Going to get the best mask I can come fall, instead of my usual 20 student lab section I got assigned a 350 student lecture. 

That’s rough. My spouse has had that since she was 18.  I wish you well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My stepdaughter has it. Brutal.  Sorry Powder beard. I remember my 350 person lecture clas well. Went to first class mid term and final. Lol girlfriend, eventually wife, for the win. She was a great note taker and I  was in the URI pool swimming laps.

• Like 3

Two ladies this morning told me they were putting their memberships on hold if we require masks . Before you laugh, try working out at 100% with a mask on .

This studio barely survived the last year , so I’m sure baker will over-react , it’s just so easy to say masks are required (regardless of it having little effect in high vax states)

The states that would benefit from this won’t follow the CDC anyway , so it’s sorta ...toothless for effect 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Those are vaccines in the true sense. Covid vaccine is not. They threw it together in a hurry and time will tell, but there are going to be big issues down the road based on art blues, studies, links posted in this thread and elsewhere. No one knows for certain exactly what , only that health issues are likely . None of us have ever gotten a flu shot. Half the time they don’t even have the right strand and we rarely if ever get the flu . And if you get the flu , guess what.. you get better. So why would healthy people feel the need to get this shot other than being scared by the media? If you’re healthy and get Covid… you get better .. just like any other flu .

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Quiet corner remains quiet. Thank god

It is remarkable the dichotomy between E and W CT.  Mystic as nits though on Saturday.  My MIL ended up chartering a school bus to shuttle us all too and from Colchester rather than try and have us all try to find a parking spot.  We were dropped off right at Steamboat Wharf.  Sailboat sets of right from the drawbridge.

https://www.argiamystic.com/default.aspx

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

I did a little more digging on the CDC guidence today.

The masking recommendations are in areas where there are 50 cases per hundred thousand per day. For comparison, Massachusetts is at 7.1 per hundred thousand. 

That's not stopping Maine CDC from requiring masks again in public places, effective today. I don't know if it'll be statewide or not, but details to come. Total over reaction.:thumbsdown:

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Those are vaccines in the true sense. Covid vaccine is not. They threw it together in a hurry and time will tell, but there are going to be big issues down the road based on art blues, studies, links posted in this thread and elsewhere. No one knows for certain exactly what , only that health issues are likely . None of us have ever gotten a flu shot. Half the time they don’t even have the right strand and we rarely if ever get the flu . And if you get the flu , guess what.. you get better. So why would healthy people feel the need to get this shot other than being scared by the media? If you’re healthy and get Covid… you get better .. just like any other flu .

you have been asked multiple times to show a link on the "big issues" that you are claiming the covid vaccines are causing.

as @WhitinsvilleWXhas stated and linked multiple times, the mRNA vaccine technology has been around for decades, and is perfectly safe. No one except you has stated that "health issues are likely" from the vaccine.

Post legit links that back up your claims that the vaccines are dangerous, or stop spewing this bullshit.

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

19 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My stepdaughter has it. Brutal.  Sorry Powder beard. I remember my 350 person lecture clas well. Went to first class mid term and final. Lol girlfriend, eventually wife, for the win. She was a great note taker and I  was in the URI pool swimming laps.

Thanks. I feel for those who have the extreme forms, I cannot imagine being stabbed hurts more than a block. My wake-up call was when I was 22 I ended up hospitalized for 6 days after green beans sent me into a flare. Doctor said "Well you'll either respond to the meds or you'll leave here with a bag." 

Ginx, great deal! URI has some amazing profs. My two most memorable classes were a seminar on the Holocaust taught by a survivor and then "The History of RI" taught by an old-school teamster with pinkie rings who drove an old gold Cadillac Coupe (mind you it was 2011). It might as well be "University of NJ" these days, they need all that out of state tuition. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PowderBeard said:

Thanks. I feel for those who have the extreme forms, I cannot imagine being stabbed hurts more than a block. My wake-up call was when I was 22 I ended up hospitalized for 6 days after green beans sent me into a flare. Doctor said "Well you'll either respond to the meds or you'll leave here with a bag." 

Ginx, great deal! URI has some amazing profs. My two most memorable classes were a seminar on the Holocaust taught by a survivor and then "The History of RI" taught by an old-school teamster with pinkie rings who drove an old gold Cadillac Coupe (mind you it was 2011). It might as well be "University of NJ" these days, they need all that out of state tuition. 

It can be a brutal illness.  My wife wound up at UMass with a toxic megacolon and has had numerous surgeries.   She has been fine for(knock on wood) 20 years or so.   It always lurks though and affects her day to day life.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not true-the vaccine was developed after the 2003 SARS outbreak which fizzled out so there was no market for it.     And lol at this causing long term health issues....stop reading the far right social media BS.   and not everyone who's healthy gets over COVID.   A friend of a friend died of it at age 50 with no prior issues-rare, yes, but it happens.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, PhineasC said:

It's also still so weird to me that in all of this debate, no one ever talks about natural immunity anymore. It's either vax or no vax. Surely by now many millions of people have natural immunity?

You may find this article interesting about how widespread natural antibodies became in India post-Delta:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/21/covid-19-antibodies-detected-in-67-of-indias-population

Covid-19 antibodies have been detected in 67% of the population of India, according to a new survey, indicating how widely the virus spread through communities during the second wave.

India’s fourth national sero-survey, which examines the prevalence of Covid-19 antibodies either through infection or vaccination, found that 67.6% of the population of more than 1.3 billion has coronavirus antibodies.

The survey also demonstrated the slow pace of India’s vaccination programme. Of those surveyed, 62.2% had not been vaccinated, 24.8% had taken one dose and 13% were fully vaccinated.

The survey result marks a significant rise from the last such survey which was conducted in December and January and found that just 24% of the population had antibodies. This recent survey was carried out in the final weeks of June and beginning of July, just as the second wave had abated, interviewing almost 29,000 people across India.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, klw said:

You may find this article interesting about how widespread natural antibodies became in India post-Delta:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/21/covid-19-antibodies-detected-in-67-of-indias-population

Good stuff, although I noticed that as usual they caveat that by pointing out the "slow rate of vaccinations." :rolleyes:

India beat Delta basically without the vaccines.

India might have also undercounted Covid deaths by a factor of 10... yikes  

India’s official death toll from Covid-19 is more than 400,000 but that is believed to be a huge undercount, particularly when taking into consideration the results of the latest serosurvey. A new report released by the Centre for Global Development this week concluded that excess deaths in India during the pandemic could be as high as 4.7 million, 10 times the official toll.

8 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

India might have also undercounted Covid deaths by a factor of 10... yikes  

India’s official death toll from Covid-19 is more than 400,000 but that is believed to be a huge undercount, particularly when taking into consideration the results of the latest serosurvey. A new report released by the Centre for Global Development this week concluded that excess deaths in India during the pandemic could be as high as 4.7 million, 10 times the official toll.

LOL who is the data conspiracist now? :)  

• Haha 1

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Oh I wouldn't doubt there being major reporting issues in a country like that.     For the US it seems to have matched up pretty much in line with excess deaths all along.  Still prob off by some percentage either way

Agreed on India for sure, but then that gets into a question of a place like China, which one would expect to have had high numbers of deaths. China is often touted as an example of how “lockdowns work” but it seems silly to trust their numbers.

One other factor many forget, the US is a fairly old nation. India, Africa, SE Asia tend to be much younger. They don’t have a very large population of elderly in nursing homes for the virus to invade and destroy. That can dramatically lower the death rates. 

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

they have less daily cases than us right now...delta burned out quick there.   England also seeing big drop in daily cases....

Yep, the virus is pretty much behaving as these things do from an evolutionary standpoint. Something akin to the flu is the endpoint. We are closer than people think. 

13 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Albert Hsu, MD, a reproductive endocrinologist at MU Health Care, said he frequently hears COVID-19 vaccine concerns from patients who are trying to conceive.

“While studies are ongoing, there is no data that the COVID-19 vaccines may cause infertility and no credible scientific theories for how the COVID-19 vaccine may cause female infertility,” Hsu said. “Statements linking COVID-19 vaccines to female infertility are currently speculative at best.”

Norway is experiencing a mini baby-boom, with 4.4% more births Jan-June 2021 than the same period last year.  Of course, that might have something to do with shutdowns limiting some behaviors and enabling others.  :D

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

they have less daily cases than us right now...delta burned out quick there.   England also seeing big drop in daily cases....

Didn't India use Ivermectin en masse when they were in the trows of the pandemic?  I don't really know what to believe anymore. 

I may take a few weeks off from the news and just stick to my own, local life duties.   My part of the world was pretty calm during this entire pandemic and I have no reason to believe it won't be going forward.  Masks will be a mild inconvenience if mandated but I'm not expecting food shortages etc.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yep, the virus is pretty much behaving as these things do from an evolutionary standpoint. Something akin to the flu is the endpoint. We are closer than people think. 

I agree the evolutionary end point is very likely going be another common cold. Once enough of the general population develops immunity, mortality rates will drop to negligible levels. Numbers out of the UK show they are heading in that direction (Current CFR of ~0.3% there, only slightly higher than the flu). At that point young children will be exposed to it like any more common coronavirus, the bodily develops immunity and it won't cause severe disease later in life.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Oh I wouldn't doubt there being major reporting issues in a country like that.     For the US it seems to have matched up pretty much in line with excess deaths all along.  Still prob off by some percentage either way

https://github.com/akarlinsky/world_mortality

This is one of the best place I have found to track excess mortality. Numbers are not available for many countries unfortunately, but it gives a sense of who is reporting accurately and who is not. US, western Europe, and a big surprisingly, most of South America is fairly accurate, including Brazil. 

• Like 1