Total Members
    Most Online
    Classbravo
    Newest Member
    Classbravo
June, 2021 Discussion

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

120F in Palm Springs :lol:.  Good golf destination if you play 18 before 7:30am.

A couple of years ago I was in Death Valley when it was 119°. Near the National Park visitor center is a golf course. Nobody was on the course lol. 

16 minutes ago, mreaves said:

A couple of years ago I was in Death Valley when it was 119°. Near the National Park visitor center is a golf course. Nobody was on the course lol. 

July '93 - visited my inlaws in Palm Desert. 123 in the shade, 3%.  Our AA flight out was cancelled because (as I was told) there wouldn't be enough lift for takeoff (not sure how valid that explanation was) Drove to a mall and dads were reacting the way I've seen during bad rainstorms - i.e. running for the car while wife and kids waited in the mall.

20 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Really good discussion by NWS Las Vegas. They aren’t messing around and are sounding the alarms. Could very well be one of the worst weather events of the year regarding fatalities and human impact unfortunately. Kudos to tip he was sniffing this event out a week ago in a post. 

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=VEF&issuedby=VEF&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

“Regarding impacts: The last time we experienced heat of this magnitude and duration was late June & early July 2013. During that event, southern Nevada saw nearly 30 fatalities and over 350 heat related injuries as well as temporary power outages. Some of those impacts were surely increased due to the 4th of July holiday period but nearly 2/3 of those fatalities occured while indoors...providing a clue that it isn`t just increased outdoor recreation that led to those impacts.

There are more considerations that go into evaluating heat risk including vulnerability but given the magnitude of this expected heat wave, most if not all of the population will be at high or very high risk. The lengthy breakdown of the heat concerns in this discussion are specifically intended to contextualize this expected heat event vs others and to bust the myth that this is typical for the Desert Southwest. It isn`t.”

26 minutes ago, mreaves said:

It’s gotta be like skiing in -30 to -60 wind chills… just not worth it and very few out-of-doors.  

7 hours ago, Yankees29 said:

July '93 - visited my inlaws in Palm Desert. 123 in the shade, 3%.  Our AA flight out was cancelled because (as I was told) there wouldn't be enough lift for takeoff (not sure how valid that explanation was) Drove to a mall and dads were reacting the way I've seen during bad rainstorms - i.e. running for the car while wife and kids waited in the mall.

I was in Vegas in the 90s when they had their first rain in 6 months. Roads were literally skating rinks from the oils. Accidents everywhere.  The sidewalks were the same I witnessed many slip and falls. The next day was 104 and it felt like walking directly into an oven. 

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Could be some boomers if we get some sun today. 

The situation changes a bit after sunrise. Our region will be
contending with a combination mid level shortwave and longwave
trough. The main impact of this will be to steepen mid level
lapse rates. Should we get some breaks of sunshine, there is
more potential for generating enough low level instability to
match up with an occluding front to generate stronger
thunderstorms. At this time, thinking CAPE values max out
between 750-1000 J/kg. With effective shear about 30-40 kt,
there is a low risk for strong to severe thunderstorms this
afternoon, mainly across the eastern half of southern New
England.
  • Like 1