Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2021 Discussion

weatherwiz

6 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Don't most people that don't have central AC have those newer floor models that takes 5 minutes to vent out the window?

Those portable AC's are terribly inefficient. Your way better of with a window unit. Consumer reports tested some and found you get like half the rated cooling capacity. A 12k unit might only deliver like 7k btus. In New England with some if the highest electricity prices I would never run one. 

While a window AC uses outside air to cool the coils on the outdoor part of the unit, a portable AC uses conditioned air from the room it’s sitting in to cool the mechanicals. That creates negative pressure that causes warm, unconditioned air from nearby rooms or the outdoors to flow into the room you’re trying to keep cool.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Those portable AC's are terribly inefficient. Your way better of with a window unit. Consumer reports tested some and found you get like half the rated cooling capacity. A 12k unit might only deliver like 7k btus. In New England with some if the highest electricity prices I would never run one. 

While a window AC uses outside air to cool the coils on the outdoor part of the unit, a portable AC uses conditioned air from the room it’s sitting in to cool the mechanicals. That creates negative pressure that causes warm, unconditioned air from nearby rooms or the outdoors to flow into the room you’re trying to keep cool.

Thats odd, my bill has been less since we converted to floor units. I am going out on a limb and saying they didn't know how to use ceiling fans and move air throughout the house. I love them

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Yup. They’re not air conditioners. They don’t do anything  . Had one maybe 10 years ago and tossed it after a month. They don’t really even make them anymore 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Watch for moisture pooling. And undermodeled dews due to dry ground feedback . 

It’s obvious you’ve installed. You and Scoots would never admit it  either, which is strange 

Lol no son I have not. Why would I ? 80 for a couple hours? I can't believe what I just read , dry ground raises dewpoints, lol geezuz 

• Haha 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup. They’re not air conditioners. They don’t do anything  . Had one maybe 10 years ago and tossed it after a month. They don’t really even make them anymore 

10 years ago lol. You are so stuck in the 90s in your thinking at all levels.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Now I see why you say it takes 5 minutes to install. You don’t have AC window units. You have a blower on wheels with a tube :lol:

This one is fantastic.  No obstructed views out the window. Allows more light in. You should upgrade from your ugly 1990 window bulky unit.

20210519_065342.jpg

• Like 2

There is definitely a science to HVAC. For best economic results moving air internally at the same rate in all rooms keeping equal temps is critical. Knowing when and where to allow light in and where to shutter sunlight is important.  My high temp on my house last summer was 75 degrees as recorded on my weather station. My electric bill usage hasn't changed much in the last 5 years since the kids grew up. Being home more in 2020 actually decreased my summer usage as I was able to move air as the day progressed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Those portable air conditioners are junk. From my experience, they don’t work half as good as a window unit.

What would people recommend for securing a window unit to vinyl windows? Seems like drilling into the vinyl is a no go 

Duct tape might as well go all hillbilly 

They make inverter window ac's now.. They are variable capacity just like mini splits. Your old window units just turn on and off drawing like 1000 watts. They are often way oversized for a small bedroom. Inverter units can vary its cooling output from 200-1000 watts. 

Inverter units are 9 times quite and use around half the electricity.

https://www.amazon.com/Midea-Inverter-Conditioner-Flexibility-Installation/dp/B08677DCKN

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

They make inverter window ac's now.. They are variable capacity just like mini splits. Your old window units just turn on and off drawing like 1000 watts. They are often way oversized for a small bedroom. Inverter units can vary its cooling output from 200-1000 watts. 

Inverter units are 9 times quite and use around half the electricity.

https://www.amazon.com/Midea-Inverter-Conditioner-Flexibility-Installation/dp/B08677DCKN

i just bought one of those, the 12k btu version. i haven't installed it yet so i don't know how well it works.

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

This one is fantastic.  No obstructed views out the window. Allows more light in. You should upgrade from your ugly 1990 window bulky unit.

20210519_065342.jpg

Are those available?  I looked into them last year and they weren't available yet.

We "installed" last fall when we had the heat pump put in.  The rebate and a one-time federal tax credit covered nearly half the cost.  Used it very sparingly for heat over the winter (says something about that season) but will enjoy it immensely this summer, especially if the run of AN months continues.

NOV   +1.9
DEC    +4.3
JAN    +5.8
FEB    +0.8
MAR   +2.8
APR    +3.8
MAY   +1.0 thru 18th, will be about +3 by Sunday
NOV-APR is +3.3, quite significant for a half year.  My warmest year, 2010, is 2.8° above my 23-year average.  

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Sunday scorchah.

Insane front on that Euro run ...

image.png.e5dfe01eee8209521a1b46e95902a9bd.png

And ...now there's actually a BD in the region this morning, according to WPC's most recent sfc analysis - NAM had 16 C at Logan by 00z tonight and it was difficult to see any BD in the guidance but peeka-boo

Not exactly a "hot pattern" when we're getting taxed at either end.  If this is real/right...the ENE drift will become and  intrusive bust on temps as far west as Kevin by late in the day.  The frustration of these:  notice the front is actually moving SW against the pressure gradient depiction here ...

image.png.5afee65fb8bd16a080a5f95899a25691.png

• Confused 1