Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Oopsie J&J.  15 million doses need to be tossed    I guess one of their plants was not yet authorized 

Ouch. I have always said my concern is almost all about the manufacturing side versus the "science."

Corners can be cut in manufacturing in the rush to be first and claim marketshare.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

Wife and a daughter got COVID, daughter recovered in 3 days, wife is miserable but improving slowly. She is on day 6. No symptoms for me but will get tested Saturday. Strange virus, it spread quick with little incubation period and everyone we know in our cluster had different symptoms.

The list of COVID symptoms is comically long and includes many things people randomly wake up with all the time.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

The list of COVID symptoms is comically long and includes many things people randomly wake up with all the time.

It was mostly the common stuff, but if you assume the cluster all got the same variant, its just interesting

Wife - ached, fatigue, sore throat
Daughter - fever, dizziness and cough
Friend - cough fatigue
Friend - sore throat
Friend - cough

Anyway just found it interesting

• Like 2

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

It was mostly the common stuff, but if you assume the cluster all got the same variant, its just interesting

Wife - ached, fatigue, sore throat
Daughter - fever, dizziness and cough
Friend - cough fatigue
Friend - sore throat
Friend - cough

Anyway just found it interesting

This virus is a great mimic, for sure. Makes it even harder to pin down spread. 

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

May be some of the first documented instances of fully vaccinated people being hospitalized in the United States?  Still, you greatly, greatly cut your odds of needing to be hospitalized if you get vaccinated.

Over 100 fully vaccinated people contract COVID-19 in Washington state, officials say

Most cases were patients who experienced only mild symptoms, if any, according to a press release from the Washington State Department ofHealth.

However, at least eight people with breakthrough cases have been hospitalized. The Washington State Department of Health is also investigating two potential breakthrough cases where the individuals died. Both patients were over 80 years old and suffered from underlying health issues.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/100-fully-vaccinated-people-contract-covid-19-washington/story?id=76784838

100 out of 1.2 million who were fully vaccinated in Washington. That’s 0.1%

I like how you left that part of the article out of your snippet

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Ouch. I have always said my concern is almost all about the manufacturing side versus the "science."

Corners can be cut in manufacturing in the rush to be first and claim marketshare.

I mean, doesn’t this suggest a robust QC process that catches issues, rather than a manufacturer that is cutting corners? J&J is doing everything by the book-there are drug manufacturing issues all the time-just not usually with the entire world watching.

AZ is the manufacturer that seems to be the shadiest of any.

• Like 2

Getting back to the israel isn’t like us argument....we have many similarities.

1.   A sizable swath of anti mask anti vax people 

2.   Broad skepticism of the government 

3. Youthful disdain for any mitigation 

4.  A lot of racial diversity and economic imbalance 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bch2014 said:

I mean, doesn’t this suggest a robust QC process that catches issues, rather than a manufacturer that is cutting corners? J&J is doing everything by the book-there are drug manufacturing issues all the time-just not usually with the entire world watching.

Good point.  Maybe the take is they are on top of things and achieving strong quality control.  These companies want profits but I do believe they want high quality.  Their desire to avoid negative quality and PR outweighs their desire to cut corners.  I think they are on the ball overall.

3 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

AZ is the manufacturer that seems to be the shadiest of any.

The factory (in Baltimore of all places) made a major error and mixed up ingredients between two vaccines...

https://fox40.com/news/national-and-world-news/15-million-jj-vaccine-doses-lost-due-to-factory-error-report-says/

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Good point.  Maybe the take is they are on top of things and achieving strong quality control.  These companies want profits but I do believe they want high quality.  Their desire to avoid negative quality and PR outweighs their desire to cut corners.  I think they are on the ball overall.

That's one way of looking at it. They made a major mistake that could have really hurt people. Glad it was caught.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Bostonseminole said:

Wife and a daughter got COVID, daughter recovered in 3 days, wife is miserable but improving slowly. She is on day 6. No symptoms for me but will get tested Saturday. Strange virus, it spread quick with little incubation period and everyone we know in our cluster had different symptoms.

I found out today one of our contractors had it recently and went deaf! Never heard of that as a symptom before. Hope his ears come back.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The factory (in Baltimore of all places) made a major error and mixed up ingredients between two vaccines...

https://fox40.com/news/national-and-world-news/15-million-jj-vaccine-doses-lost-due-to-factory-error-report-says/

I’m aware of that-I guess what I’m saying is given that all J&J doses given thus far have been from the Netherlands, it’s not as if someone has been injected with a faulty vaccine. 

As long as issues are caught before the product is “consumed,” I don’t see an issue.

I work for a large CPG company and before we bring a new copacker aboard, there are always test runs and errors that are made during those tests-Nobody would accuse of food poisoning though-because the products are never released to retailers! 

Agree with PF that the incentives to not producing a faulty product are far greater than pushing it out faster. Heck, these vaccines aren’t even all that profitable for these drug companies.

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

100 out of 1.2 million who were fully vaccinated in Washington. That’s 0.1%

I like how you left that part of the article out of your snippet

My main intent with that post was the hospitalizations.  Anyone following this even a little bit knows that the vaccines aren't 100% at preventing illness, but the trial data did indicate no hospitalizations.  Now we have 8 of those in WA.  Though like Phin said, the need for hospitalization is a bit subjective and it would be interesting to know if these hospitalizations were a borderline call or if those people are gravely ill.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hmmmm.. how about Alzheimer’s, dimentia or the myriad of other possible side effects studies are showing? 

How about getting COVID instead and dying?    How about helping the country get to herd immunity so we can get back to living?

Just now, Brian5671 said:

how can anyone know what these "Far worse long term effects"  are LOL

In fairness, there are plenty of people talking about "long term effects" from COVID of which there is no proof either. Plenty of unfounded fear to go around.

That said, if you are considering the vaccine at all, you probably should just get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well then you are not doing your due diligence. Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s not. At least do some research. It’s not hard to find 

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/gene-linked-between-alzheimer-s-disease-and-covid-19

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.beingpatient.com/vaccines-alzheimers-prevention/amp/