• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I was chatting with my neighbor who is a scientist working on many subjects.    She thinks once we have 50-55% vaccinated it’s over citing Israeli statistics ongoing.   That means that we’re likely done this summer if she is correct.   
We're about 60 days behind where Israel is in terms of vaccinations. Clearly the vaccines are very effective. The virus R0 is 0.53; negative log growth.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

Yarmouth clam festival, in July and lobster festival now cancelled. With where we'll be with vaccinations, I'm sure it's out of an abundance of caution emoji849.png

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Half marathon in Portland got moved from June to October. No refund though since it was postponed and not canceled. :fulltilt:

Just saw some data here from Yale New Haven Health. The drop off on older ages being admitted to the hospital has been massive. The vaccine is clearly having a big impact on the older vulnerable population. Around 80% of the deaths in CT have been in the 85+ age group. 

Balcezak said that, since Dec. 27, the hospital system has seen a 77 percent reduction in the number of hospitalized Covid patients over the age of 75. It’s seen a 72 percent reduction among Covid-positive patients between the ages of 65 and 74. It’s seen a 66 percent reduction among Covid-positive patients between the ages of 55 and 64.

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

There is no way my kids are getting an emergency use authorization vaccine for a virus that is extremely mild for children. Just me.

No need really, I don't have to worry about it, My two can make there own decisions being 28 and 33..............:)

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

No need really, I don't have to worry about it, My two can make there own decisions being 28 and 33..............:)

Thank goodness we are homeschooling now so we won't have to deal with being forced to have them vaccinated so they can return to school. It's simply wrong to force an EUA vaccine on children so they can go to school over a virus that barely even affects kids. Every adult is free to get the vaccine, and assuming they believe the efficacy numbers, they should feel very safe.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Thank goodness we are homeschooling now so we won't have to deal with being forced to have them vaccinated so they can return to school. It's simply wrong to force an EUA vaccine on children so they can go to school over a virus that barely even affects kids. Every adult is free to get the vaccine, and assuming they believe the efficacy numbers, they should feel very safe.

Israel is hitting it out of the park. We're past the reliance on efficacy data. The caveat to Israel is I believe they have little to no variants there, but recent data indicates vaccines are effective, but to a somewhat lesser degree against variants, so maybe it doesn't matter in Israel or in the US. Time will tell

• Like 1

Just now, Lava Rock said:

Israel is hitting it out of the park. We're past the reliance on efficacy data. The caveat to Israel is I believe they have little to no variants there, but recent data indicates vaccines are effective, but to a somewhat lesser degree against variants, so maybe it doesn't matter in Israel or in the US. Time will tell

I hope we are over all this soon. I would be a little cautious on Israeli data being applicable here. Same for Taiwan, Australia, NZ, etc.

Israel is already sort of a police state with extremely tight immigration controls and a strong system of police checkpoints throughout the country. Vaccines are certainly helping there, but they have ways to control spread we really don't right now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Somewhat of a need.  Not for the kids themselves as much as helping us reach herd immunity and keep it there.

I don't think it should be required though.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Somewhat of a need.  Not for the kids themselves as much as helping us reach herd immunity and keep it there.

I don't think it should be required though.     

If i had younger kids, I would not force them to take a vaccine that has little affect if they didn't want too, And no, There should not be a requirement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If i had younger kids, I would not force them to take a vaccine that has little affect if they didn't want too, And no, There should not be a requirement.

One idea behind immunizations (flu etc) is to help protect those who are immunocompromised and cannot get vaccinated themselves.  By and large the kids/teens don't seem to get very sick from Covid but it would allow them to, for example, an aunt who has cancer treatments going on who could not be vaccinated.