• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I think I am going to start a new game for this summer...or it's more of an Alert.

The alert is called a CAPE alert and there will be different levels. This will look at 7-days out. Depending on the CAPE levels being modeled, an appropriate index level will be assigned. Here is an example.

CAPE ALERT!!!!!!!!

CAPE level: (need to make this) 

CAPE Values: > 3,000

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Marusak said:

thanks. hope they can relocate it soon, whether to Logan Airport or at the NWS office near Norton.

Lol, and while they are at it - 'be nice if they could relocate/re-officiate Boston's official reporting site as not being located out in the in cold Labrador termination waters of Cape Cod Bay while they are at it...  Oy - we dream.

Not sure if you are aware, but Logan Airport is the official "Boston" ob site, which in a practical civilian sense and sensibility ?  Absurd and always has been.  Only when the wind is west ... perhaps 50% of the time granted, does that justly represent Boston - has always been just utterly a statistical fallacy otherwise  -

It's a marine -hybrid climate out there where that site sets upon an island on west shore side of the Bay... 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Lol, and while they are at it - 'be nice if they could relocate/re-officiate Boston's official reporting site as not being located out in the in cold Labrador termination waters of Cape Cod Bay while they are at it...  Oy - we dream.

Not sure if you are aware, but Logan Airport is the official "Boston" ob site, which in a practical civilian sense and sensibility ?  Absurd and always has been.  Only when the wind is west ... perhaps 50% of the time granted, does that justly represent Boston - has always been just utterly a statistical fallacy otherwise  -

It's a marine -hybrid climate out there where that site sets upon an island on west shore side of the Bay... 

i know that coastal site can be a total pain when the breeze is coming in off the bay. But where in Boston would you put the official site for the city, if you had a choice? Downtown Crossing? Boston Common? the Back Bay? Fenway Park? somewhere else in the city?

24 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

i know that coastal site can be a total pain when the breeze is coming in off the bay. But where in Boston would you put the official site for the city, if you had a choice? Downtown Crossing? Boston Common? the Back Bay? Fenway Park? somewhere else in the city?

Yeah... all good questions. 

I don't know ...where does San Francisco situate theirs... Chicago on the Lake front...  Miami.. ?   New York City has Laguardia and Kennedy, but I think but they also have a downtown NWS ob site if I'm not mistaken and I could be - I'll take a look...    But point being, a wish list item is that the subject be more seriously studied - I think it's just a low priority aspect to everyone accept nerds maybe.

Say a day of + 20 C 850 mb dragon tongue is coming around a TV summer ridge node... Logan can often be the hottest temperature east of the Mississippi ...but even then a west wind may be unrealistic ( because although it is a islet, the western side of it in practical terms doesn't significantly offer any marine modulation, so it's hyperbole in that sense to call it an island). From late June through early August in that synoptic scenario, Logan's site being crisscrossed by tarmac, otherwise flat expanses under bake sun, serrated by observation and/or tin-pusher towers and metal hanger spaces ...  It gooses the temp and so even screws up the west wind scenario.

But you are right ...any vector that is more E than 185 ( or 10 the other way) degrees on the canonical direction dial pollutes the site down to the oceanic boundary layer - incontrovertibly so ... - and then the evening new guys/gals have go out of their way constantly remind, " ...but keep in mind that temperature doesn't represent what it's like on the western side of the city"  - where there are actual physical bodies not coursing through heavily air conditioned man-made tubes and atrial settings. 

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah... all good questions. 

I don't know ...where does San Francisco situate theirs... Chicago on the Lake front...  Miami.. ?   New York City has Laguardia and Kennedy, but I think but they also have a downtown NWS ob site if I'm not mistaken and I could be - I'll take a look...    But point being, a wish list item is that the subject be more seriously studied - I think it's just a low priority aspect to everyone accept nerds maybe.

Say a day of + 20 C 850 mb dragon tongue is coming around a TV summer ridge node... Logan can often be the hottest temperature east of the Mississippi ...but even then a west wind may be unrealistic ( because although it is a islet, the western side of it in practical terms doesn't significantly offer any marine modulation, so it's hyperbole in that sense to call it an island). From late June through early August in that synoptic scenario, Logan's site being crisscrossed by tarmac, otherwise flat expanses under bake sun, serrated by observation and/or tin-pusher towers and metal hanger spaces ...  It gooses the temp and so even screws up the west wind scenario.

But you are right ...any vector that is more E than 185 ( or 10 the other way) degrees on the canonical direction dial pollutes the site down to the oceanic boundary layer - incontrovertibly so ... - and then the evening new guys/gals have go out of their way constantly remind, " ...but keep in mind that temperature doesn't represent what it's like on the western side of the city"  - where there are actual physical bodies not coursing through heavily air conditioned man-made tubes and atrial settings. 

that downtown site is in Central Park (KNYC).

but I would think the TV newspeople would have a handle on that (unless they are completely on their first week in the market). There's some real close obs sites to the city of Boston that can lay out the sea breeze fairly well for them. And if they had to, I would think the DoT in Mass would also allow their cameras and road sensors to be included to show the sea breeze depth.

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I think I am going to start a new game for this summer...or it's more of an Alert.

The alert is called a CAPE alert and there will be different levels. This will look at 7-days out. Depending on the CAPE levels being modeled, an appropriate index level will be assigned. Here is an example.

CAPE ALERT!!!!!!!!

CAPE level: (need to make this) 

CAPE Values: > 3,000

CAPE level Midnight!

2 hours ago, Jim Marusak said:

that downtown site is in Central Park (KNYC).

but I would think the TV newspeople would have a handle on that (unless they are completely on their first week in the market). There's some real close obs sites to the city of Boston that can lay out the sea breeze fairly well for them. And if they had to, I would think the DoT in Mass would also allow their cameras and road sensors to be included to show the sea breeze depth.

Records at KNYC go back thru 1869.  Battery Park on the southern tip of Manhattan used to be the city's "official" site but was replaced for much the same reasons that plague Logan.  Those records probably go back as far as those at the Park but ceased after 12/31/1960 when the 'officiality' switched.  Hated to see the termination of such a lengthy record but at age 14 I didn't have the money to keep it going.  :(

Wee ... the U.S. is lit up like a "death"mas tree !     ... not sure how anyone can be proud to be an American - or be dubbed sane if/when hiding from that truth behind politically obscuring dogma - evasive. 

End life, is not a state of mind.  

"Merry deathmas ... too youuuuuuuu"

image.png.d763f951620803e3a6a67a3d6b022e5d.png

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Police checkpoints and can be stopped to literally be asked why you are not inside your home. People thing it’s bad here, yeesh 

They can also force you to enter a quarantine facility and get tested every day at your expense... if you can't pay, fines start. It's nuts up there. People laugh about the slippery slope arguments, but you don't have to look far to literally see them playing out in real time.

• Weenie 1

RE UFOs

All the Pentagon is saying is the video isn’t faked 

It seems there’s a tendency to think that means there are extra terrestrial objects flying around in the sky but all they’re really saying is yes ... it’s legit as a video and it is unidentified what is being filmed after the fact - nothing else. 

Interesting article on how America will have a huge surplus of vaccines but can't donate any extra to other countries for liability reasons. We are also gearing up to produce most of the world's vaccines according to the article. 

The 2005 law gives manufacturers of vaccines and therapeutics developed in response to public health emergencies sweeping protection from liability, and makes the U.S. government a guarantor of that protection.

The law provides an “almost Star Trek–level ‘shields up,’” said Nicholas Pace, a senior social scientist at the RAND Corporation. But “the moment that vial walks across the border, PREP has no effect. The cross-border liability problem is a huge one.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/04/why-the-us-still-cant-donate-covid-19-vaccines-to-countries-in-need