Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Gonna have to watch this sucker. If that ULL maintains integrity longer, it’s going to cause some bigger issues on Friday. It doesn’t take all that long for the cold air to get drawn in with that high pressing down. Also could enhance the fronto. 

That’s a pretty cold profile as depicted. 

• Like 1

I’m not expecting much out of this storm due to the northern stream phasing in so late and the overall progressive nature of the pattern, but I have to admit the models did get a bit more interesting. The Euro in particular moved the northern stream a couple hundred miles west. If we are looking for a big storm that northern stream needs to drop in about 3-400 miles west of where the euro currently has it. This is very unlikely and is not supported by the pattern, but it needs to be watched. I do believe that the shift on today’s models has drastically increased the ceiling of the storm from a couple of inches of slop to a massive slow moving ocean low. More likely, there will be a late phase which may allow for some precip to back into eastern mass but not more than a couple of inches. I would give the probability of a phased slow moving monster ocean low around 5%, which is quite low but better than what I thought the ceiling was yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

Another important thing to note is as things are right now the snow maps are likely inflated as the setup is marginal, so ratios would be less than 10:1. Also some precip would be wasted as rain early in the storm. 3-6+ isn’t happening in my opinion unless we get an earlier phase, which is what I am watching for.

1 minute ago, George001 said:

Another important thing to note is as things are right now the snow maps are likely inflated as the setup is marginal, so ratios would be less than 10:1. Also some precip would be wasted as rain early in the storm. 3-6+ isn’t happening in my opinion unless we get an earlier phase, which is what I am watching for.

It's a cold snowstorm once it flips. Rain and 40s after midnight in E MA and then snowing hard with mid 20s in the afternoon.

Just now, dendrite said:

It's a cold snowstorm once it flips. Rain and 40s after midnight in E MA and then snowing hard with mid 20s in the afternoon.

Definite flash freeze potential. It takes some unique conditions to get a true flash freeze but this would have those conditions present as modeled right now. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Definite flash freeze potential. It takes some unique conditions to get a true flash freeze but this would have those conditions present as modeled right now. 

Nah...winters over, time for truck washing and brisket at breweries.  Winter..she gone.   DIT says so.  So this can’t happen. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Nah...winters over, time for truck washing and brisket at breweries.  Winter..she gone.   DIT says so.  So this can’t happen. 

They salted all the state roads here yesterday after that massive squall. The town didn’t , but I drove home after watching both daughters soccer games at Manchester HS and hit the middle of the squall in Vernon. It snowed so hard with graupel mixed in that it was just blowing powder snow snakes across the road . There was about .3.to maybe 1/2” on grass and the sun came out and 10 minutes later you’d never know it snowed yet they dropped salt and ruined everyone’s spotless vehicles. Drove me nuts . I’m not on the Thursday night train . Think we’ll see it reverse and shear . But maybe it does hit  Could be a stat padder 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They salted all the state roads here yesterday after that massive squall. The town didn’t , but I drove home after watching both daughters soccer games at Manchester HS and hit the middle of the squall in Vernon. It snowed so hard with graupel mixed in that it was just blowing powder snow snakes across the road . There was about .3.to maybe 1/2” on grass and the sun came out and 10 minutes later you’d never know it snowed yet they dropped salt and ruined everyone’s spotless vehicles. Drove me nuts . I’m not on the Thursday night train . Think we’ll see it reverse and shear . But maybe it does hit  Could be a stat padder 

I hear ya on the roads/vehicle issues.  I’m super meticulous with my King Ranch, and can’t stand it full of salt/filth.  

You should see my truck after a N. Maine sledding  trip...filth and salt beyond belief.  I can’t get to the car wash fast enough once in town. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol moral is don't expect your truck to remain salt free in March any year

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, radarman said:

I heard coastal SEMA, location tbd, 18-24 mos downtime.  

How bout BOGO and a site at BDL or CEF??  Not saying I don't love the ALB soundings....

I'd assume they'd want to keep the sites spaced out like you alluded to. Maybe FMH would be a good spot...they're manned at the coast guard air station already.