Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was thinking about that during my run this morning dressed in 3 layers and full winter gear. The last of the cold mornings. The cold is over. This year you can say that with confidence . Time to move on

you actually run in this shit ?

- I doff my cap ... I hate it!  I hate running in anything less than about 55 ... tho negotiable if sunny a little.   40s or less I'm not fan.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

When's the last time that happened

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

2010.  But nobody got much that month after a bit on the 1st, leftover from the late Feb thing.  Would be a fitting end to calendar winter if SNE got advisory-plus snows while we enjoyed partly cloudy. 
One good thing about a dry spring this year - would be 2 in a row and might knock back the needlecast fungi on white pine enough for the damaged trees to recover.  Unfortunately I don't think it will hurt the ticks at all, maybe the opposite as dry conditions can make for high reproduction of small rodents.

Hit -1 this morning, last subzero of the season, probably last sub-10 as well.  Already into the 20s now.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

We probably are due for a few drier years. We've had a lot of wet years recently. Like snowfall, time to regress.

I'm sure you've/we've all heard this at one point or the other ...so to the straw man in the room, a changing climate means that kind of 'probability' inference is shakier.

The total systemic forces that gave rise to whatever happened 50 years ago ...are not the same now.   I think this is effecting everything actually ...from NAO correlating patterns to PNA modes...to longer termed seasonal hemispheres like ENSO ..all of them.  'A,' used to -->X ...       Now?  A -->   (X'*B squared)/ pi

lol, just sayn'     We can't regress to those numbers if the forcing is changed - that's not very good "environmental math" ...

• Confused 1

Sunday certainly looks relatively mild on the operation ( and EPS mean for that matter) Euro cluster... By 00z Monday (8 pm Sun evening..), 850s mb have ballooned the 0 C, N and E of NE. In fact, it looks like the day starts out around -1 of D.E.M. to +2 over NYC...and by that latter hour it is +4 or 5 up there and +6 or +7, NYC... 

The high pressure (sfc) associated with the modest seasonal ridge ...is actually starting out the day W but slips to a position S of LI by late ... but close enough by that we are separated from the gradient - this limits mixing. 

So the Euro suggests the 850 mb warms; I'm not sure if the above limits on mixing means the BL will extend to the 850 mb sigma level ( altitude..).  It may not matter as much as that would in January... I mean, sometimes the sun being so sloped and weak in the dish pan of the solar nadir ...we warm up at 850 and it's stays chilly at the surface when this sort of DVM/ capping take place.  But I'm not certain zippo RH at any standard sigma level ( 300, 500, 700, ...etc), implies pristine swept clean sky .. equinox + 1 sun ... Might be a nerd's paradise to monitor that.  

Either way, that's high intensity nape... even if it stays less than the 850 mb adiabat, with very light wind and that very warm sun the feel will faux it's way into honorable mention. 

Actually  MEX ...  has 55+ at FIT, BED, and ASH on Thursday... Then, we snow Friday morning - classic spring bs...  Then it's 74 Monday afternoon... of course.

Curious, are the Euro operational 2-meter T products at Pivotal source "raw" machine guidance, or are they sent through a MOS milling before rendered out to those graphics?

I'm asking because ... the MEX MOS for this next Mon/Tues are 62 ... which is 14 over climate in a product that is heavier weighted toward climate - specifically the farther out in time. Which means that the signal has to be pretty impressive to warm/pull that guidance that far about 48 or 50.  Yet, the Euro numbers are actually slightly cooler, despite having a less contaminated, open heating look in the synoptic layout provided by the operational and the EPS...  Seems odd... If these latter are perhaps machine milled by climate normalizing like the MEX, it may explain why they are not 72 in those environments, Mon and Tue afternoons.

By then, ..them two days are definitely mixed out and have BL at least to 875 mb if not 850, so the adiabats should be realized and the Euro looks too cool at 67 for HFD Monday, with +8 at 850 and solid W, dry continental flow through a high sun irradiance... man, BDL will be 77 probably...  

Oh,... Euro has a 300 mb cloud problem - maybe that's part of it...didn't see that level on Monday ... but it's bone dry 500, 700 --> surface on west wind, through +7 c 850s so... if that 300 mb ceiling proves fake ...that 2-meter is going to be warmer than mid 60s throughout the SNE region...  I'm not sure what the verification scores are at tedious sigma levels, tho.. Notice also it still frosts Sunday night - ... good mapling -

So.. for me, the nice take away on Thursday night into early Friday is the rain.  It would be nice to put another 1.25" in the basin tills ... I'm not sure specifically what is offered here.. It may be .7" et...

As far as snow...yeeeah. It's in there. I think the flash freeze is the interesting aspect, though.. At least, if we clear Friday afternoon and sun penetrates to Earth ...even if the temp holds around freezing at least the roads won't be too bad. 

As far as snow itself... that looks to me like an ANA lag back with cold wedging underneath doing the transition for this thing, more so than cyclonic dynamical feedbacks.  Those tend to be over modeled.  

I won't call that a "red flag" but I'd cautionary yellow - I have seen countless cold insert end up with an evaporational slant deformation and steady on rad goes to virga.  I think the critical aspect will be how soon does the advection aloft cut off ... the N/stream was hinting at more phasing yesterday, and we saw immediate positive returns in QPF ... but ultimately, the phasing is minimal and I don't personally see how it is going to get to be more, given to the surrounding hemisphere. It seems it may have maxed in guidance when taking that into consideration. The N/stream ultimately partially phases while the rest of the trough mass smears E and pancakes /cuts of the elevate advection and that is racing the wedge drying underneath. That's really taking a needle thread to an excruciatingly discrete level there...

It may be a good system for meso modeling ...by virtue of their grid, they may have a better handling on timing the 1300 meter thickness collapse underneath that lag back seeding aloft -

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm sure you've/we've all heard this at one point or the other ...so to the straw man in the room, a changing climate means that kind of 'probability' inference is shakier.

The total systemic forces that gave rise to whatever happened 50 years ago ...are not the same now.   I think this is effecting everything actually ...from NAO correlating patterns to PNA modes...to longer termed seasonal hemispheres like ENSO ..all of them.  'A,' used to -->X ...       Now?  A -->   (X'*B squared)/ pi

lol, just sayn'     We can't regress to those numbers if the forcing is changed - that's not very good "environmental math" ...

Yea, I don't think its fair to expect warmer outcomes, and not expect wetter outcomes moving forward. If you expect the next decade to regress drier, then you need to expect it to be colder, too, which no one does.

I just saw the NAM...

It's a needle threader incarnate!

caution on being optimistic or readily favoring that scenario because the NAM when it comes into the 60 to 84 hour ranges has a tendency to be NW ... owing to a tendency to be slightly too amplified - it's almost like what the global numerical ( Euro/GFS/GGEM) do at D7-10 , where they first scope these system in their distance frames like the moon coming over the eastern horizon - magnified and scary huge... lol.

The NAM seems to do something similar then damps a bit coming into 48 < -- so forth. That is a narrow latitude there to begin with, so a 50 mile S correction of axis' and that rt 2 ends up down in CT... etc..