• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

4 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If that got the neighbors in a bunch, I'd be in jail. I go out with my camera at all hours of the night filming everything. :lol:

lol...and I LOVE looking at peoples' driveway because I enjoy looking at the snow depths and clean-looking snow piles...it's interesting to see peoples' personalities in how they clean up snow. You've got the:

1) Perfectionists - clean cut, meticulous straight cuts through the snow. Pavement always showing

2) Quick shovelers - piles strewn all about the sides of the driveways collapsing into the driveway in places

3) The "Ain't nobody got time for that"ers - driveway covered with inches of snow with 100 tire tracks in and out and a car stuck halfway up the drive

4) The bitters - Their driveway is clean until about 3 feet from the end where they just bulldoze over the pile the plow left and they're too pissed to clean it up because the plow came AFTER they were done.

It's a whole study in Psychology.

:lol:

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Maybe Albany will go with ice storm warnings...

If a warning, probably a WSW up your way since there would be atleast some snow and sleet beforehand. Possibly ISW for atleast some of their lower Hudson county zones though where it looks like it's entirely a rain vs freezing rain event.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

lol...and I LOVE looking at peoples' driveway because I enjoy looking at the snow depths and clean-looking snow piles...it's interesting to see peoples' personalities in how they clean up snow. You've got the:

1) Perfectionists - clean cut, meticulous straight cuts through the snow. Pavement always showing

2) Quick shovelers - piles strewn all about the sides of the driveways collapsing into the driveway in places

3) The "Ain't nobody got time for that"ers - driveway covered with inches of snow with 100 tire tracks in and out and a car stuck halfway up the drive

4) The bitters - Their driveway is clean until about 3 feet from the end where they just bulldoze over the pile the plow left and they're too pissed to clean it up because the plow came AFTER they were done.

I have to admit I'm #1 category...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PerintonMan said:

I'm kind of with you here. Feel bad for SYR on south and east, but the NW trend seems to be working out OK for ROC on these runs.

6Z/18Z runs  usually model noise.  We'll see what 00Z tonight and more importantly 12Z tomorrow shows.   The big picture setup for this hasn't changed.  There's no Miller B f@ckery to deal with.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Mine currently has 1/2" of ice across the entire driveway. The last snow was overnight and went over with my car like 10 times so I think I qualify for # 3.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

As a kid I would try to put all the snow in two piles. One at the top of the driveway and one at the bottom. I currently live in a townhouse now so instead I only go one direction and thats my tiny 30 foot by 5 foot piece of "front lawn".  The wife thinks its funny that I do that and its noticeable to everyone in our neighbourhood haha. Everyone else has uneven snow piles but ours is already about 3 feet tall by 5 feet wide. Excited to see what happens with this storm haha. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, mississaugasnow said:

As a kid I would try to put all the snow in two piles. One at the top of the driveway and one at the bottom. I currently live in a townhouse now so instead I only go one direction and thats my tiny 30 foot by 5 foot piece of "front lawn".  The wife thinks its funny that I do that and its noticeable to everyone in our neighbourhood haha. Everyone else has uneven snow piles but ours is already about 3 feet tall by 5 feet wide. Excited to see what happens with this storm haha. 

Yesss!  I’m always purposely making my one pile way bigger than need be by shifting a lot of snow around. It’s currently the biggest it’s been since 2015. Might be in record territory by the end of this week. 
I’m glad I’m not the only one that does this! Haha

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

Ha! I, of course, am a "try to make the piles look as big as possible on both sides of the driveway" person. Like any "normal" person in everyday society really cares about that lol

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Yeah probably split up the CWA

This has more of a snow to sleet, then maybe some freezing drizzle look to me rather than a real ice storm, even with Euro spitting out a half inch of freezing rain at KALB.  Maybe for areas further south and east.  Either way, its probably (and hopefully) moving way too quickly to be too disruptive.  No offense to our fine friends to our west, but if it were more of a pure ice storm, I'd just root for it to go 200 miles to our NW, so we'd flip to rain and dryslot.  This should be a great synoptic week for WNY!  Hopefully we can get something again before the end of winter.  Even with big storms the past couple seasons, we've had plenty of below average winters lately overall.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

#3 for sure as I don't touch it, lol! Nature bringith then Nature will take it away, lol!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

#3 for sure as I don't touch it, lol! Nature bringith then Nature will take it away, lol!

When we both worked we used to do that. The only trouble is getting hung up at the end of the driveway. I’ve done that a few times luckily I had a neighbor stop and help my wife push me out. Now we can take our time getting the snowblower out. 

20 minutes ago, mississaugasnow said:

As a Kid I would also do 1 giant pile with all my friends in the neighborhood and made the coolest snow forts ever.

Here are my cousins and my sister from the December 2001 lake effect snow event in the city of Buffalo. That snow pile was above the power lines after we got hit with 3 more feet of snow during that last event of the week. We got 7 feet of snow in 5 days that week.

IMG_1778.thumb.JPG.705c340584a91562b57275f15079f013.JPGIMG_1774.thumb.JPG.702fb603f28a402862987475489e2351.JPGIMG_1777.thumb.JPG.710d33e80b65d932b2472fece74b6549.JPG

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

As a Kid I would also do 1 giant pile with all my friends in the neighborhood and made the coolest snow forts ever.

Here are my cousins and my sister from the December 2001 lake effect snow event in the city of Buffalo. That snow pile was above the power lines after we got hit with 3 more feet of snow during that last event of the week. We got 7 feet of snow in 5 days that week.

IMG_1778.thumb.JPG.705c340584a91562b57275f15079f013.JPGIMG_1774.thumb.JPG.702fb603f28a402862987475489e2351.JPGIMG_1777.thumb.JPG.710d33e80b65d932b2472fece74b6549.JPG

Are you the one with the GAP hat?

Forget amounts. I think the worst trend of this storm is the speed. It’s basically out of here by early morning Tuesday.  The best snowstorm is a day snowstorm.

Now I have to stay up late on Monday, Jeb walk and rate driveways on the new scale which will only make my Tuesday harder on me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 96blizz said:

Forget amounts. I think the worst trend of this storm is the speed. It’s basically out of here by early morning Tuesday.  The best snowstorm is a day snowstorm.

Now I have to stay up late on Monday, Jeb walk and rate driveways on the new scale which will only make my Tuesday harder on me. 

If we get some 3"/hr banding and LE, a 12hr storm is fine with me ... 

• Like 1