• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Back to Back Major Synoptic Snowstorms!

Euro looks generally good for the forum both storms this week. No major changes as I see it. For those riding the line of significant mix vs snow, that's going to be a Nowcast. Various models will have there own run to run variability but when you are on the fence that matters a lot.. The idea of a "secondary popping" is wrong for the first event. More likely a center jump on the model depictions as the system progresses NE.  Still looks like BUF-> ROC most favored, with SYR probably hanging all SN with at worst a brief changeover to PL as storm is winding down.  Late week storm looks really good on 00Z Euro. Forget the qpf panels on both storms, its the worst field usually.  All in all looks about set.

I said we'd dry slot 3 days ago when I posted the H700 maps and as quick as the models came NW, they can do the same tomorrow but the other way but the model hugging in this forum is just Nuts, lol, but it's understandable. I'd ban those Kuchie maps cause it gives us nothing but false hope and in weather, hope how's right out the window, lol!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BGM Blizzard said:

Overall track and evolution pretty identical to 18z run, but less precip in CNY from dry slotting...

0z precip

1048928746_ecmwf-deterministic-nystate-total_precip_inch-3541600(2).thumb.png.0dd0a802437d12533199372ddc1dd349.png

18z precip

849897396_ecmwf-deterministic-nystate-total_precip_inch-3541600(3).thumb.png.3a64b18526943fa7365d91d9cd4102ad.png

The precip output makes absolutely no sense whatsoever so 'Im just gonna disregard these precip maps cause not once have they ever come to fruition or been right for that matter!

• Like 1

Also not sure what model Mike Cejka was using in his newscast on channel 4 just now but it has almost 15” at BUF for this storm and he showed it running through Friday morning and it was nearly 27” at BUF!  Two back to back 1 foot + synoptic storms in a week would instantly move this winter to a B+ with plenty of time left to make it an A. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

The dots are because there is a running joke that I don't do well snow-wise wherever I am. That is THE inside joke that I thought everybody was aware of. Much of the time is people TEASING me and giving me a hard time about being in the screw zone. Yes, I tend to be negative...and when people on here remind me of it, I try to dial it back. I don't just point out negatives about model runs. In fact, I have been discussing how it looks like there is a good possibility of a WNW flow this week. Does this get many responses? Perhaps part of it is people like to feed off the negative and drama as well? There are times when I try to have normal weather discussion as well. Sorry that the negativity clouds out the times when I am just chatting about the weather and funny things that pop up.

All good Matt. I really appreciate your level headed response. Apologies I snapped a bit at you. That wasn’t necessary or warranted.

Let it snow (and maybe sleet?)!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Also not sure what model Mike Cejka was using in his newscast on channel 4 just now but it has almost 15” at BUF for this storm and he showed it running through Friday morning and it was nearly 27” at BUF!  Two back to back 1 foot + synoptic storms in a week would instantly move this winter to a B+ with plenty of time left to make it an A. 

Shit! I wonder why I said that Kuchera Map by weeks end might verify! 15” twice is 30” and so far we’re on track for the first part...

1 hour ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Final Call

BUF 15.2”

ROC 16.1”

SYR 8.6” (some mixing) 

ALB 3.4” (mostly mix) 

BGM 4.5” (mostly mix) 

The NWS also raised the amounts to 12+ for the Niagara frontier so what Mike us showing has legs...they also stated snowfall rates four approach 2” an hour overnight in meso banding and enhancement off Ontario 

Locked and loaded. Feeling good about this one. My numbers get a shave but still think someone between Roc and BUF sees 18”. 
Buf-14

Iag-11

Roc-15 

Syr-13

Bing-5 (sorry) 

Pulaski-14

Geneva-12

Its a quick mover and parameters aren’t great for enhancement. Nor is wind direction. So my numbers might still be optimistic- but I like this storm. Even if it gave me 4 minor strokes yesterday. 

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

10” for Skaneatles is my guess :maprain:Good luck. But then again, you Jack potted not long ago. Gonna be tight for a minute but I wouldn’t be surprised to see you stay all snow. 

We are at just about 900’ of elevation (highest of the Finger Lakes) so that does help. That said, pingers may be unavoidable for a short time. 
But yeah, we got like 23” in that insane death band so I am all for spreading the wealth. My concern is that this moves so fast we don’t see many flakes on Tuesday though the lake may fire up and catch us overnight Tuesday into Wednesday for a cake topper. Including that I think 10” is doable. 
Def happy to see ROC cash in a bit more this time!

Just now, tim123 said:

That v shape to the snow in texas looks convective. Almost like how severe weather you look at a satalite in texas in summer looks exactly the same. Really strong convergence.

I just heard from emergency services in Texas that more than 2 million are with out power in the state at this moment. Can you imagine being in a state that has zero winterizing in their homes? It could be a disaster down there.

• Like 1