• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueValleyHVAC
    Newest Member
    BlueValleyHVAC

Ice/Snow threat Friday-Sunday

Looks like .3 to .5 is likely in that triangle from MTV to GSO to Roxboro. Will be lights out for a lot of peeps tonight. You could see this coming. Being an ice storm nerd, it's ashame we couldnt a more widespread event for NC. I know many will disagree lol

• Like 2

Getting crunchy on bushes and tree limbs now. 29 off the car thermometer here and a whole lot of downstream moisture.

Ladies and gents, this could suck....

• Sad 1

Dropped to 32 in Concord about 30mins ago

DP also 32

Quite misty atm. 

Heavier precip is N of me, but some patches of showers moving up from SC. 

6 hours ago, norcarolinian said:

I agree. But to some extent the same could be said about Guilford. In this setup the north and northwest part of the county (Oak Ridge, Stokesdale, Summerfield, Colfax, KGSO, Browns Summit) could approach WSW criteria where the south and southeast part (Julian, Climax, Pleasant Garden, High Point, Forest Oaks) may just be at low end advisory. Of course the city of Greensboro itself will have different conditions south to north.

RAH doesn’t seem to apply the same “large county” rule to Guilford.  Like you said, for this current icing event, it’s likely that the conditions will be night and day different between Pleasant Garden and Oak Ridge, but they just stick to an advisory.  I‘ll give them the benefit of the doubt, but it’s probable that northern Guilford will reach warning criteria.

32.0 in Advance. DP at 30.7. Light rain. Deck steps were getting slick. Weird thing is about 4 hours earlier the temp read 31.4 and there was standing water on the deck and front metal railing.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

The drivenc site for all things NC road related showing 2 crashes in W-S and 1 in GSO. 

Also noticed that Wake county has 11 ELEVEN road construction zones while Meck County has..... wait for... oh whatever,,, THREE construction zones.

Whoever says NCDOT isn't partial to the triangle needs to check out the 485 inner loop on a friday from 330-630pm. From Independence to 85 near the airport and the Catawba River. Thats not quite HALF of that 63mile loop... enjoy.. and bring food.

Ok road rant over.

• Thanks 1

3:00am update 15 miles NE of Greensboro 30.9 current temp. Walked outside measured almost 1/4 inch of ice. Starting to hear limbs break in the distance. Good luck fellow Triad peeps we got a long day ahead. :(

Still no WSW from Raleigh

Hope you all stay safe today to my northeast. May the limbs stay strong and the power stay on for all of you!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Big difference between power and no power for many could be the fact that winds are nearly calm.  The crust is already in place, on everything, here in Kernersville and a quick peek at the security cam in Stuart is a nightmare, but there is no wind.  Any change there and yes, lights out everywhere.  

Lets hope for a calm rise in temps later today.

• Like 1

Just drove from Colfax to UNCG area - roads are fine on Market St but bridges on Bryan BLVD at 68 were a mess. Trees have a nice glaze/crust but not as bad as I expected.  The marginal 3- degree temp has helped.  I think we may see more buildup if the precip stays light rather than mod/heavy.  I checked Dukes website about 5:30 and 15k out of power in the Triad. 
TW

Currently 33.4. Got down to 31.6 last night but I see no remaining glaze. Bring on spring, three days of mid 30’s and rain while the gulf coast is under winter storm warnings is enough to break even the hardiest of weather weenies 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Scratch that about roads being fine in Greensboro.  Yes, market street from Colfax to UNCG was fine, but I came back on Bryan Blvd, and the bridges out bear 68 had ice with about 6-8 vehicles off the road.  Worse than I thought.

TW

My green giant Arborvitae trees are getting destroyed out there and they are a good 20+ ft tall. Sagging like crazy. Really sucks in that aspect. Can see icicles hanging off everything 

• Haha 1

Temp/dp at 31.8/31.8 right now.  Still have power. Like kvegas said, calm winds have helped.  Guilford has 27,908 without power though.

We might have dodged the worst.  Maybe FedEx will deliver my wife Valentine’s Day gift today after all.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Lowest temp overnight for me was 32.3. no visible signs of icing. Light drizzle continues.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Yep got to 32 even at one point, man the radar looks good, almost has the shape of a snowstorm to it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WXNewton said:

Yep got to 32 even at one point, man the radar looks good, almost has the shape of a snowstorm to it. 

I was at 31 at 11P.... I’m now at 32.3 :weep:, I’ve picked up .53QPF since Midnight.... Triad better hope you pop above freezing soon or someone’s gonna get popped lol